IGNORED

atari 400 incognito like upgrade

candle

Hi all

Since few person asked me if i would do incognito board for atari 400 i wonder if there would be any intrest in this

basically it would be the same incognito board in form factor that would fit 400 motherboard with all the bells and whistlers that incognito gives to the 800

main issue here is that i don't have 400 to start with, so mechanical issues that needs to be resolved on early starge are unknown for me

i would like to do it as incognito was done - a (small) group of betatesters that will receive production unit once projects enters that stage and will test the board throughly

just a thought...

Sebastian

I'm in,I have dreamed of this day, the 400 is my favorite system.and an easy video mod! Would be useful.

I could post you my 400 if it would help, but it is my only one at the moment

Edited by mimo

Hi Candle,

I am with mimo. I would definitely go for one if you decide to make it. I was too late with incognito order for 800 but I got it after all - both (beta and final versions) from Iain. I am not sure If I could be a good beta tester as I am still in a "learning process" but If I could somehow contribute to this, I will be happy to send you my Atari 400 for all testings. I do not need it at the moment and to Poland from Czech Republic it will not take more than 2 days.

it looks like it will fit memory slot, replace 74ls42 with ribbon cable (same as incognito) tap to few points on the motherboard, and remove ROM "B" from its socket

but this is guesswork based on unreadable schematics i found over the net.

Whish there would be scans out there comparable in quality to those Fiberwire has posted in Claus_B thread regarding memory cards for 400/800 line

if anyone has something better than what i can find inside "hardware reference manual" or "field service manual" please post it here

it looks like it will fit memory slot, replace 74ls42 with ribbon cable (same as incognito) tap to few points on the motherboard, and remove ROM "B" from its socket

but this is guesswork based on unreadable schematics i found over the net.

Whish there would be scans out there comparable in quality to those Fiberwire has posted in Claus_B thread regarding memory cards for 400/800 line

if anyone has something better than what i can find inside "hardware reference manual" or "field service manual" please post it here

I can't guarantee these are accurate, but as far as I know, this is all that is out there.

400.zip

comparable to the incognito board cost

with prototypes there are some risk involved, ie not always first board works, and some things have to be redone. pcb is the most expensive part when it comes to prototyping, so this is not an option for many, as noone really wants to trow money in the mud

but this is how it goes - you try to design something new, you make mistake and it costs, no shorter way around

having this build around cpld chip lets you make something that is pretty versalie and can be updated rather than rerouted, but there is still a chance something gets utterly wrong and will be beyond simple cpld code fix

wasn't the case for incognito board, but possibility always exists

it will do

so, not ROM "B" but ROM "D" (A105)

Jinks: you keep saying that, and i keep replaying that you should check on ultimate1mb boards

Yes - the Ultimate 1MB is killer, and is fully Incognito like when coupled with a SIDE cart.

I would also like an Incognito for the 400, I do not have a lot of time to spend Beta testing, But could put up some money to help with development costs. My only real down time is May, June, September and October, at those we are busy gearing up for the busy season LOL.

Robert,

Edited by venom4728a

Yes - the Ultimate 1MB is killer, a

nd is fully Incognito like when coupled with a SIDE cart.

I am gonna get them after my chips come for my 64kb upgrade a 1mb and a side 2. With those it will upgrade the ram and be able to download roms to play from what I understand just will need a compact flash card with roms on it to play games..

• 1 month later...

and i'm waiting for Fiberwire to scan Atari 400 schematics for me, these attached above are full of errors and i can't use them

if i'll have to, i'll reverse engeenere 400 that Mimo has sent me, but hopefully, i won't have to wait much longer

Sebastian