IGNORED

Ultima Collecting -- I am in big trouble!

Albert

Speaking of Amazon sellers. Just received a book, shipped in a thin plastic envelope. However, the book was then wrapped in a layer of thin foam, and inside of that the book was wrapped in some sort of saran wrap. It took me three minutes to get the book completely unwrapped. The postage was $2.66 (for Media Mail, of course) and I paid $3.99 for it. I wonder what Amazon's take is?

..Al

Ah, yes, of course, makers of the System Shock games. No wonder I got confused. I thought Origin had published those.

Origin did have a close relationship with Looking Glass and published several of their games--System Shock, Ultima Underworld, and Ultima Underworld II. System Shock 2 was published by Electronic Arts, who had swallowed Origin by that point. I'd love to see a System Shock sequel, but it looks like the rights are a bit in limbo at the moment:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713030/the-lost-history-of-system-shock/

I've been trying to decide where to start with the Ultima games, and it sounds like based on what you and the others are saying my best bet is probaly U4.

I'm a bit of a completionist, so I'd feel odd starting a series with a later game. The first two are pretty quick, but I know Ultima III is going to take me a while to play. Ultima IV is where the series really finds its way.

..Al

Went through a few more boxes of software. Found these!

ultima_find_6.jpg

13 original EA Flat boxes! :D All Atari 8-bit releases.

..Al

I lucked out on those. I found a guy who used to own a computer store here in Michigan years and years ago and helped him clear out his barn. Most of the stuff he had in there had deteriorated into pure crap, but in some scungy box we found most of the EA game boxes. There were no games in them, just the boxes, but they were in mint condition. I'm pretty sure they were Atari releases because MULE and Worms were in there which were not released for the Apple. The only ones missing were Racing Destruction Set, Mail Order Monsters, and Great American Cross Country Race.

Speaking of which, you're missing Worms? there.

I'm missing more than that!

http://www.atariage....04028-ea-flats/

If I ever get bored of the Ultima collecting, I may try to complete this collection. All of mine seem to be complete and the boxes are overall in good condition.

..Al

I love my EA flats... I'm still missing a couple myself... Worms especially

That is one huge advantage of playing the games on a modern PC. For all intents and purposes, there are NO load times.

EA became dead to me when they destroyed Origin, which was here in town. I had always envisioned working for them someday, although that dream soured a bit after I worked with a bunch of people who left Origin to escape what EA had done to the company. :( At least I did get to visit their offices.

..Al

That's sad to hear. I'm no big fan of EA since they started swallowing up companies and spitting them back out.

Oh and I noticed "Age Of Adventure" shows as missing at Atarimania. Although my guess would be they have an image just have not added it.

Hey Soul Blazer.. when it comes to the overall "theme" that the Ultima series took.. then IV is probably the way to go. Although III is alot of fun.. it's quite a big change in philosophy between III and IV. In fact back in the day what he did with IV was rather daring for an RPG style game.

Oh and Looking Glass made some great games! I still need to play the System Shock and Thief games. Only managed to play them a little back when they came out.

Al

Origin was too ambitious with Ultima IX: Ascension, and quite a bit of story was cut from the game. I have an early design document somewhere (it's printed and massive, I got it from one of the team members) and it's really a shame that the game was gutted so much.

Do you have any of this document online? This is the kind of material I was interested in when I purchased "The Ultima Collectors Guide" last year. I'll bet its a great read.

Bill

Do you have any of this document online? This is the kind of material I was interested in when I purchased "The Ultima Collectors Guide" last year. I'll bet its a great read.

I have not, but Bob White (who was one of the Ultima IX team members, and also one of the designers on our Deus Ex team) has published the original plot for Ascension:

http://www.ultimaaiera.com/blog/ultima-9-the-bob-white-plot/

http://hacki.bootstrike.com/english/articles_orig_plot.htm

I have purposely not read the treatment I have, as I wanted to play the game first. I'll see if I can dig up my copy--it may be the same as what's published on the first link, but it may be different. Fortunately the above copy is dated, so that will be a quick indicator if it's the same.

..Al

I think you have a problem, Al. :-D

It's the only Playstation release of an Ultima game, so I had to jump on it. There are quite a few unique Japanese Ultima items. I have the more common items (like the Famicom and Super Famicom games), but others are going to take more work.

..Al

I just opened a package from an eBay seller containing a game I bought. As soon as I opened the box I was attacked with a strong smell of cigarettes. Disgusting how cigarette smoke attaches itself to everything. I almost want to give the user a negative feedback for this alone.

..Al

• Like 1

I just opened a package from an eBay seller containing a game I bought. As soon as I opened the box I was attacked with a strong smell of cigarettes. Disgusting how cigarette smoke attaches itself to everything. I almost want to give the user a negative feedback for this alone.

I would, I feel the same way.

After apparently mapping every dungeon I'd been in so far incorrectly, I had to finally look at a dungeon map online to see what was going on. Apparently all the walls are one square thick, so when you go through a door, you are moving two spaces! I was just about to start pulling my hair out!

Should be a bit easier now!

..Al

• Haha 1