IGNORED

Quick question - video problem on my PAL Jag

ewokmic

Hi All,

Quick question. I bought a Jag from eBay a couple of years back and had it shelved for a while. The below image is what I am seeing through RF cable now. The game is working in the background but image is a mess. Tried fine tuning on more than one TV so that's not the problem. Any suggestions? Thinking of building an RGB cable - worth the bother? Thanks!

download.jpg

It looks like you have it on the wrong channel for RF. The Jaguar has a high-low switch next to the RF plug, sometimes these are set (on various game systems) as channel 2-3 or 3-4. try changing the channel and/or the switch.

Thanks Gunstar - new question - where do I find this switch? Using a plain RF cable, no switches or anything (been using it on my ST today too so working fine). Standard Jaguar official power supply.I can't find any switch on the console itself apart from the on off button. Inside? Happy to grab my screwdrives if that's the case.

Yeah, been tuning it using all known methods. Just had another try on a 12 inch CTR and no luck - similar to above picture but no colour. You can tell the game is running fine in the background. I'm thinking it's an internal issue for sure, but an easy fix or not, and would it be unrelated to the other non RF output (i.e. RF module may be broken but RGB would work???). Thanks all!

Yeah, been tuning it using all known methods. Just had another try on a 12 inch CTR and no luck - similar to above picture but no colour. You can tell the game is running fine in the background. I'm thinking it's an internal issue for sure, but an easy fix or not, and would it be unrelated to the other non RF output (i.e. RF module may be broken but RGB would work???). Thanks all!

Actually, it just might work to change the cable. I had a problem with my S-video output on my Jaguar, color would go in and out and that progressed to the complete picture going in and out until it didn't work at all anymore. I had a home-made RGB cable on hand and tried the Jaguar with it and a monitor and it worked fine (I had tried to fix the S-video cable multiple times at first, even though it was never the problem). I've been using the same jaguar via RGB ever since and it's worked like a charm. I never did look to see if RF or composite video still worked, I didn't have the cables anymore. I did look at the motherboard at the time too, but there was no visible damage and no cold-solder points, though I never did check components, even resisters. RGB worked and that's what I wanted anyway.

Edited by Gunstar

Yes tried a different one and both working on other systems. Hmm. Well think I will build a RGB cable when I find some time and find out. If that doesn't work it will be hard to tell if its the system or my poor job, but we will see. Thanks guys.

Sorry, I meant to change to a different video output cable, like RGB, not just trying another cable of the same type. I'm with you that it is the system, and not the cable, but a different video out source may bypass the problem as happened with my Jaguar.

• 2 months later...

Hi all - just to close of the story, I never did get the RF working, but I made my own AV cable (red/white/yellow) and the picture is perfect! After trying on so many TV's I guess the RF modulator thingy must be shot. No worries though because the AV is great!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...