IGNORED

NES Prototype found in the wild

GuanoBowl

Posted this in NA a few weeks back, thought I'd share it with a few more collectors. Here is how I found this:

The day after X-mas, I got that stupid flu epidemic before it started getting "big" so I was out until that Friday then started feeling better that night. Woke up the next day with an ear infection and that night my ear drum popped. Finally after 4-5 days sitting in the house recovering from that, I decided to hit up the mall, grab some new Puma's and some socks then decided to hit up the game stores not too far away. Besides finding some boxes for NES games and a game I did not own yet, I came across this. They had it for $10 but something seemed really odd about it. Felt heavier than other games and the label on it gave out a weird feeling. I even got the hunch it was a prototype right then when I picked it up. Well 3 screws later and I opened it up to find this inside.

I have done some research on this prototype and have found nothing so I am out to believe that this proto is the first to come to surface. So far the first 5 stages that I tried out are the same as the original but some may vary. Looks like my luck turned good after being sick for a week and 1/2 and missing New Years with my lady. Good $10 gamble.

Enjoy!

Picture001-2_zps44d5c78e.jpg

Picture002-1_zps487193ec.jpg

Picture003-3_zps4ea3f7cb.jpg

Picture004-3_zpsb97007da.jpg

Picture005-2_zps7a0c350c.jpg

Picture006-1_zpsbb0e0928.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This doesn't look like a prototype because the eproms are not socketed.

The presence of eproms is strange for a regular NES game but this wouldn't surprise me. I've seen that in many other cartridges, including an Atari game for the 2600.

While it's not unheard of for a production NES game to contain EPROMs, it is for one to have a PCB like that. Also, it is possible that the EPROMs are actually socketed with something like these:

http://www.escol.com.my/images/Eyelets.jpg

This doesn't look like a prototype because the eproms are not socketed.

The presence of eproms is strange for a regular NES game but this wouldn't surprise me. I've seen that in many other cartridges, including an Atari game for the 2600.

You're horribly, horribly mistaken. Not only is it not uncommon for NES protos to have EPROMs soldered directly to the board, this one is on a clearly dev PCB.

Doesn't get any more real than this, it's without a doubt a proto.

• 3 weeks later...

The label seems unusual. It's very similar to the release label but not the same. It seems unusual to have a graphic label, instead of a sticker with something written on it. What's the label quality like?

I was thinking this as well. I'm just throwing this out there, but could this be a evaluation cart? You now the kind that was sent to magazines before the finished copies were sold. Either way it is still an incredible find.

The label seems unusual. It's very similar to the release label but not the same. It seems unusual to have a graphic label, instead of a sticker with something written on it. What's the label quality like?

Again, that's not something that is entirely unusual. Check out my Heavy Shreddin' Proto for example:

HeavyShreddin_zps02e7b31c.jpg

Near production, though there is no print at all at the top and the front is missing some obvious pieces.

Sometimes you get early black and white art like on my Terra Cresta proto:

TerraCresta_zps6269e720.jpg

Again, not atypical in the least for NES protos.

Just another quick example is this Caveman Ninja (NTSC) proto that I sold recently:

CavemanNinjaNTSC_zps6589d1f4.jpg

Very common stuff for NES protos.

• 2 months later...