IGNORED

Playing pacman with ps2 analog stick...

• 4 years later...

Sorry to Necro bump but I was experimenting with the potentiometers in controllers today to try to get them to work with Atari's and 9 pin systems. My goal is to use a dual analog joystick for both joystick ports to create a handheld dual joystick controller for Robotron and games like Time Salvo. I realize that an dual arcade stick would work fine (like the excellent Edladdin products), but I would like to have a handheld solution for the days I don't want to pull out the arcade joystick or to use in travel.

Does anyone know:

1) Are there any adapters out that are available to purchase that already do this? I searched both Atari age and Google, and found the starts of projects but I am not sure if any of them got off the ground? I would really like to avoid having to reinvent the wheel if there is already a good solution out there but I was unaware of it.

2) Does anyone know if they have had success with a pot from a PlayStation controller to an Atari in wiring? If so I would love to hear what success you have had.

I appreciate any info anyone can furnish.

Thank you

Edited by imstarryeyed

Hi imstarryeyed. This is a favorite subject of mine, although I am not tech savvy or handy or knowledgeable. I like the feel of small analog thumbsticks and slim joysticks. (Although I don't care for the modern nubby type, I prefer Vectrex or old PC or RC or industrial types.)

Here is an adapter I use which converts 15 pin PC analog joysticks to db9 for Atari:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15Pin-DB15-Joystick-Converter-Adapter-for-Amiga-Atari-Commodore-Amstrad-9pin-DB9/272222183107?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have purchased from him a couple times. In my recent purchase he agreed to make them with a shorter ribbon cable since I didn't need the length he usually makes. He seemed responsive and I wonder if he'd make other modifications or answer some of your questions if you buy from him.

Considering your Robotron goal it is ironic that this is the controller I typically use with the adapter:

2rn8rkp.jpg

It doesn't actually work as a dual stick though with this adapter.

I have another fantastic controller that seems built around an analog thumbstick, converted to digital. It is called the Enjoystick by TG and it was originally made for VCS and other db9 consoles:

t7cxza.jpg9rszlu.jpg

This one is not electronically complicated but it has some peculiar switches in it. It looks like an engineered analog joystick assembly which has had the two potentiometers replaced with a potentiometer-shaped three position digital switch, (momentary SPDT?).

Here is where we discuss this joystick:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241587-2600-analog-sticks/?hl=%2Benjoystick&do=findComment&comment=3299864

Edited by gliptitude

Hey Gliptitude,

Thank you for the information, I did not know about these adapters. I will contact this developer to see if he can advise me in the right direction. This is a great place to pick this up again, I have been going crazy trying to understand the POTS in the PS1 and PS2 controllers and how to interface them with minimal electronics that may cause lag.

I really appreciate your insights, it really helped me follow up to the next breadcrumb!

• Like 1