IGNORED

Activision label deterioration?

Warmsignal

I've noticed the problem seems most prominent with Activision labels, all of those little dark specs that form all of the label. Why does this happen? Is there anything you can do to prevent this from happening? Why is it worse with Activision labels than others? I realize you also see this sometimes on other carts, mostly the black label Atari ones, but in most cases it seems the worst on Activision. Most Activision carts I come across nowadays are pretty rough looking because of it.

There's actually a name for this. It's called acti-plaque. Every last one of my Activision carts has it, which is a shame, considering they're my most prized titles. Oh well, at least they work.

Anyone know if it would happen to a copy still sealed in a box? I don't see why it wouldn't.

I believe this is caused due to exposure to light and humidity.

Most recently, I received a lot that contained several Activision cartridges that had minimal-to-no acti-plaque spots. All of the cartridges, in general, were in excellent condition.

I inquired with the seller, who had been the sole owner, how he kept them so well-preserved. He said he did not deliberately do anything special, but after I asked several questions, I got the details on how they had been kept. The cartridges had been kept loose inside a Video Game Center storage unit (opaque plastic, with a clear-smoked top), which was enclosed inside of a wooden TV cabinet. The seller lived in Minnesota, and mentioned that there was typically very low humidity where he lived.

I have also had good luck with Activision games that were kept in the original boxes. This seems to slow the deterioration process. About half of the games I get that are in the original box have very little spotting (though about half are just as bad as your typical loose cart).

Using what I have learned, I have started storing my Activision cartridges in 4x5" plastic zip-lock bags with a packet of dessicant. I then put them into the original box (if I have it), or keep them in a Video Game Center storage unit (if I don't have the box).

• Like 2

I keep mine in a closet on a shelf. My boxed games are on a shelf right outside that closet, out of direct sunlight. I'd say about half of my loose Activision carts have some actiplaque on 'em.

To prevent it, you can strip the glue off the label and the cart, but there's the risk of damaging them during that process, too.

• Like 1

How would you go about removing the glue?

Naphtha. Zippo lighter fluid.

Apply while peeling. Melts most sticky glues.

Wipe with a tissue, reapply, wipe until all glue residue is off label and cartridge. Evaporates completely. Keep away from flames.

That is as far as I have gotten. Label is a bit better but still has some dark areas. I should have taken before and after pictures. One dark area is due to a thin spot, maybe whiteout?

I will probably spray can adhesive the label and reapply, or scan it and make a clean repro print covered in clear packing tape. Made a Q*bert label that way and I really like the result.

• Like 1

I wonder if it would be an, albeit tiny, market niche to produce facsimile stickers for vintage carts on demand, to completely replace detoriated labels. Or would you serious collector guys consider the cart "fake" after this?

Good question.

I would probably buy some for my lower-value carts with bad labels.. Assuming the labels were inexpensive and the quality was good.

A replacement for missing end-labels would be good, too.

• Like 1

My plan to make my Activision carts good as new is frowned upon by some collectors, but oh well.

I am going to use a heat gun on low setting to carefully remove each label, then scan it into my computer. Next, I am fairly practiced at photoshop, so the next stage will be to tediously brush over all the blemishes, save out the repaired label scans, and then print them back out on gloss photo stock. Using some rubber cement, they will be re-attached to the game cartridges and my Activision collection will look like new.

• Like 1

Before I thought that the label deteriorated was a sign of bad care from the owner. I was very wrong...

That's not completely wrong, though. If stored correctly, like any other collectible (but not like any other video game), the labels won't get ruined nearly as fast. On top of that, if a diligent owner strips the glue at the first sign of trouble, that will halt the deterioration in its tracks.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that there is not an online service selling replacement stickers for vintage carts. I have a couple of carts that could use new stickers.

Probably not a big market for it....

I would like for someone to make nice end labels for carts that never had one... N64 and 5200 for example.

I'm surprised that there is not an online service selling replacement stickers for vintage carts. I have a couple of carts that could use new stickers.

I've thought often of such a site, offering retouched scans of labels, box art, liners, manuals, overlays, etc. Anyone with a decent printer could redo their collection easily. One day, when I get some time....

Probably not a big market for it....

I would like for someone to make nice end labels for carts that never had one... N64 and 5200 for example.

A guy was offering professionally done complete sets for 5200 and Jaguar on this site a year or two back. I contacted him recently and bad news is that he no longer has access to the printer to create more. He did have a few jaguar sets left over, selling for around $100 each. Use the forum search and you may be able to find him. I think his user name has red dog in it.