IGNORED

800XL DOA

yell0w_lantern

I took a chance and bought an untested 800XL with a disk drive and joysticks.

To put it bluntly, I lost on this gamble. The 800XL is d-e-a-d. It does not power on at all. The inside has a fair amount of rust on the shielding and on most of the chips. I started reseating the chips and warmed up a few suspicious looking solder joints but things don't look good.

Does anyone fix these?

I took a chance and bought an untested 800XL with a disk drive and joysticks.

To put it bluntly, I lost on this gamble. The 800XL is d-e-a-d. It does not power on at all. The inside has a fair amount of rust on the shielding and on most of the chips. I started reseating the chips and warmed up a few suspicious looking solder joints but things don't look good.

Does anyone fix these?

Check the power supply.

post-21816-0-76393800-1360292454.jpg

I checked with a known good power supply.

No power light. No sound. No screen change.

Monitor out.

No cart tested.

Need to know what kind of voltage you had when using your known good power supply. If it was close to zip with the machine on, then it probably is some shorted ram chips which can NOT be fixed by dead bugging other chips onto them temporarily. You can tell the bad ones by burning your thumb on them after you've let them warm up enough to tell which ones are drawing all the current thru them and running ungodly hot compared to the mild sizzle of normal ram chips. Unsolder the really hot ones and replace with good ram until your voltage stays at 5 volts or so.

This is what commonly happens when someone who doesn't check power supply voltages before applying voltage to various computers winds up with - the ram shorts due to overvoltage from a "known good power supply" which is in fact totally blown and pumping out 7 to 10 volts and the ram sacrifices itself by shorting internally often saving all the 40 pin chips from a similar fate which aren't so replaceable. Very common condition to find in a 'found' computer especially those lacking power cords so a full test by this auction house could not be done, (put any lame story here). Always sold as is with no returns of course.

The enclosed epoxy brick type of power supply is famous for killing ram in this manner.

Need to know what kind of voltage you had when using your known good power supply. If it was close to zip with the machine on, then it probably is some shorted ram chips which can NOT be fixed by dead bugging other chips onto them temporarily. You can tell the bad ones by burning your thumb on them after you've let them warm up enough to tell which ones are drawing all the current thru them and running ungodly hot compared to the mild sizzle of normal ram chips. Unsolder the really hot ones and replace with good ram until your voltage stays at 5 volts or so.

This is what commonly happens when someone who doesn't check power supply voltages before applying voltage to various computers winds up with - the ram shorts due to overvoltage from a "known good power supply" which is in fact totally blown and pumping out 7 to 10 volts and the ram sacrifices itself by shorting internally often saving all the 40 pin chips from a similar fate which aren't so replaceable. Very common condition to find in a 'found' computer especially those lacking power cords so a full test by this auction house could not be done, (put any lame story here). Always sold as is with no returns of course.

The enclosed epoxy brick type of power supply is famous for killing ram in this manner.

My PSU registers 5V on my multimeter.

I get 5V coming in off the din plug inside the computer and 5V at the switch.

I've had it switched on for about an hour and every chip, in fact, every component, feels cold.

Edited by yell0w_lantern

After a little more poking around, I bypassed the power switch and BAZINGO!

It's a testament to the quality of this old technology that a board in such bad shape was only really plagued by a bad switch.

Anyone know a part number on the switch? My player 2 port is also bent to heck - does Best sell them?

Sorry for the hijack but anyone make and sell new power supplies? Maybe I should not trust my original atari power supply??

The old standbys, B&C ( http://www.myatari.com ) and Best ( http://www.best-elec...onics-ca.com/ ) and Video61 ( http://members.tcq.n...eo61/index.html )

and Ben Smith ( http://www.aracnet.c...t.com/~atari/ ) There's a vendor's list in the a8 faq ( http://www.faqs.org/...-8-bit/faq/#b ) by Michael Current or rather a separate vendor faq

( http://www.faqs.org/...bit/vendev/#b )

The ca in Best is for California, not Canada.

Edited by russg

Anyone know a part number on the switch? My player 2 port is also bent to heck - does Best sell them?

Nope, but you won't need one. I'm pretty sure Best does sell both of them, let Brad know what it goes in and that you need the power switch and joystick port for it and it's a done deal. And that's what the really dead Ataris are good for - PARTS!!!

After a little more poking around, I bypassed the power switch and BAZINGO!

It's a testament to the quality of this old technology that a board in such bad shape was only really plagued by a bad switch.

The Atari part number for power switch is C061022.

• 1 year later...

Was just wondering about this today as mine gets pretty warm, looks like a brick and has extremely small vents on the sides. Part # C061982.

That one is OK, it is not the 'Ingot' one, which has no vents.

Edited by russg