IGNORED

Is this mouse for atari?

S0nic

Its a dual Atari ST or Amiga mouse, you are quite right re that little switch.

As Jaques says, it usable on the 8bit with the right software...

IIRC that mouse was not a stunningly good brand but hey, its a mouse, worth unscrewing the ball cover and gently giving the two rollers a clean, normally they are pitch black with all sorts or dirt.

Edited by Mclaneinc

If you sell this switchable Amiga/ST mouse, you'll need to have both Amiga and ST mice ;)

nop , i'm just commodore fan, i dont have atari because of that i don't need this .... what is fair price for this mouse ?

Edited by S0nic

No. It's an old serial mouse. Some early PCs used a mouse port with a serial interface. I have no idea if those would work with Atari or not, but it's certainly plausible if the input pins are the same. A basic mouse has two rotary controls and two buttons. That's a grand total of six input lines. I don't know if they're encoded or not.

Edited by stardust4ever

The PC serial mouse, the Amiga mouse, and the Atari ST mouse are all different. The AMiga and the ATari ST mice are very similar. That's why there were several on the market compatible with both, switchable on the bottom. There's a switch on the bottom of that mouse, "AM" and "AT." Why would a PC mouse have a switch like that?

That is NOT a PC serial mouse.. WTF do you think the AM/AT switch is for?? DUHH!

It's exactly what he suspected it was.. It's a 3rd party mouse that works with the AMIGA and ST..

Just so you know, all early mice that used what they call "Quadrature Signals" work the same way, the only difference is the pinout.. Its actually possible to make a mouse that works with Early MAC, Apple II, AMIGA, and ATARI ST, just by having switches to change the appropriate pin signals. (you also need a gender changer for the Apple machines because they used a male DB9 connector rather than a female)

Quadrature mice have 4 pulse lines which are basically just the output of photoresistors triggering a digital gate. There are 2 for each axis. On each axis, one signal is slightly offset from the other. This allows the computer to determine direction as well as speed. There are up to 3 other lines that indicate the button states.

The serial mouse for the PC takes those quadrature signals and has an additional chip inside it that encodes them all over a single serial data connection along with the button states. Software on the PC end decodes this serial data to get the X and Y speed and direction as well as the button states. The later (but still pre-usb) macs and Apple IIgs also adopted a serial mouse standard known as ADB (Apple desktop bus).

Same connector... BIG DIFFERENCE... But that AT/AM switch is a definite dead-giveaway..

. ..

Edited by MEtalGuy66