IGNORED

MUSIC from other sources

hloberg

This has to do with my MULE project but I thought this question was more general and could be of use to everyone.

Is there a way, or utility, to convert a .wav file or other sound file to a TI music file?

I want to know before I try to recreate the music in MULE by ear. I can do it, and I have a friend who is a musician who can help but that will be a bit of work.

there are some program analysing a WAV file and converting it into notes but there is a easiest way :

just download the SID file into a SID master ;) i don't know if it's possible to convert in TI99 sounds directly, but you can do it manually

( you'll get the exact tone & delay for each note )

Edited by rocky007

there are some program analysing a WAV file and converting it into notes but there is a easiest way :

just download the SID file into a SID master ;) i don't know if it's possible to convert in TI99 sounds directly, but you can do it manually

( you'll get the exact tone & delay for each note )

sid master? as in c64 sid?

when i google sid master it takes me to a saab site in britain. :-D

Sidmaster is a sid player for TI99, but require hardware... i never tryed it, but maybe as it handle SID format, this program can show the tracks ?

if not, jsut use any SID sound tracker like goatTracker.

It's maybe aslo possible to find a SID to EPSGMOD converter ( probably trough MID files )...as it already exist a player for TI99, that's probably the easiest way.

Edited by rocky007

It may just be me and my minute-detail nature, but I'd just extract the music data out of the Atari 800 version of M.U.L.E. and just transcribe it to the TI.

The sound chip in the 800 is nearly identical to the TI; same voices, same ranges. The only downside is the TI's frequency divider is three times as fast, which means it runs at higher octaves and any low base notes may not happen. So your TI version of the M.U.L.E. theme may end up sounding sorprano. :)

Adamantyr

This has to do with my MULE project but I thought this question was more general and could be of use to everyone.

Is there a way, or utility, to convert a .wav file or other sound file to a TI music file?

I want to know before I try to recreate the music in MULE by ear. I can do it, and I have a friend who is a musician who can help but that will be a bit of work.

If you end up needing to compose the music yourself I would suggest using the ASLP and editor found here....

http://www.dsapsc.com/new-developments.html

The editor allows you to compose on the TI using a musical scale as well as provides some built in special effects and some limited envelope control. The resulting music list can be converted to EA data statements and there is also an included player that can be incorporated into your source code. The download has both the editor and player as well as several demo songs that you can play, edit and study to get the hang of things. Docs are also available on the same page.

Marc

I think I got my answer!

I found a program called AmazingMIDI that takes in a .wav file and turns it into a .mid file. It doesn't just do that it also prints out a bar graph of the notes.

I used my Atari800win emulator to save a .wav file of the opening and converted it to .mid using the program.

It sounds a little funky being converted from Atari 800 to a concert piano but after I play with it a while and then transcribe the music to be converted to the TI, it should sound fine.

Here's the zipped file from the midi program:

atarisnd.zip

What's cool about this program is that you can output in a couple dozen formats such as voice, music box, square wave. Some sound really funny.

Edited by hloberg

The sound chip in the 800 is nearly identical to the TI; same voices, same ranges. The only downside is the TI's frequency divider is three times as fast, which means it runs at higher octaves and any low base notes may not happen. So your TI version of the M.U.L.E. theme may end up sounding sorprano. :)

In the 99/4A the sound chip's clock input is the GROMCLK, which is generated by the VDP. If you have an F18A in your system, the GROMCLK frequency can be changed via a new VDP Register. The F18A GROMCLK range is 447.440KHz (110Hz min freq) to 195.312KHz (48Hz min freq).

i can't believe that a convert can convert a WAV multichannels songs into MIDI perfectly.

if you want to do that, just download the .SID and convert it to MIDI ( SID2Midi by exemple ). This will provide you a 100% accurate song.

not so much the midi conversion as the notes display. once i get the notes written down i can play with it till it's perfect.