IGNORED

Seven Cities of Gold on an SIOdrive?

slyde

Hi guys,

A few months back i purchased one of Santosp's awesome SIO drives, and have been enjoying it immensly.

This weekend i wanted to try to play Seven Cities of Gold. I loaded up disk 1 on drive 1 of the sio, and disk 2 on drive 2. Santosp had provided me with an empty atr file so i had loaded that up on S3.

I then loaded up the game, and when it asked me to create the world disk, i changed the sio to drive 3 and attempted to create the world disk but i got a message saying something to the effect of "drive error - please check your cables" so i know im not doing something correctly :)

Any ideas on the proper way to get this working? And while we're at it, i'd also like to get Alternate Reality working again as well... would i use the same process?

thanks in advance guys,

Slyde

Fairly sure that 7SoG is single drive only - if you can change which image is active on Drive 1 then there's no reason why it shouldn't work. If you're creating a world on blank disk then the image should be an ATR that's single or enhanced density capable, ie 128 sectors.

Yes, i can definitly mount 3 images, seven cities disk 1, seven cities disk 2, and a blank disk, and then toggle the active one so that shouldnt be the bottleneck.

I'm thinking its the blank file that is my issue. Does anyone know where i can grab one to try?

Why don't you just try making the world disk on emulation then copy to the SDcard. It's not like you need to create one very often so could be a solution - added bonus is you can speed up by using turbo mode.

could you explain exactly how i would go about doing that? im pretty much an atari noob when it comes to this stuff, so i dont understand what you mean.

As far as I remember you need to boot Seven Cities on the reverse side to create a new game disc on a blank disk. The original 7C disc can boot on two side. Side 1is for the normal game side 2 loads a utility to create a new game disk on a blank disk (for which the utility prompts).

Mount the disc that doesn't run the game (probably disc 2) and boot the machine. When it asks for a blank disc, change the disc in the emulation to the blank .ATR file and hit whatever the program asks to continue. The utility program then creates a "new world" on the blank disc. Then change the active disc to the main game disc and boot from it. When asked to insert the disc with the game, insert (change again to) the one (formerly blank disc) you created before. That one will remain in use until you end the game. (Hope I got it right, must be about 20 years since I last did this with real discs and hardware....)

• Like 1