IGNORED

Asteroids emulator now also for the Commodore 64

After my version for the Atari 800XL, I now made also an Asteroids emulator for the Commodore 64. The original program of the Atari arcade machine, which is 6502 based, is directly executed by the C64's 6510 CPU. The graphics and sound hardware of the original machine is (more or less) exactly simulated by the C64 in software. The main challenge was (and a little bit still is) to accomplish an acceptable and constant speed.

If you are interested, you can visit my homepage for a description, screenshots, a video, and the download of the PRG file:

http://web.utanet.at/nkehrer/

Have fun!

Norbert

• Like 7

Nice job... but as you said, there are speed problems. Are you drawing all those asteroids as lines? Maybe the speed would be better if you'd intercept the drawing routines earlier and draw the asteroids as sprites or soft sprites. I know the C-64 only has 8 sprites, and that's not enough to draw all the sprites that can possibly be on screen. So maybe it would be the best thing to draw the biggest objects using sprites and using soft sprites for the smaller objects. Another technique would be to multiplex the sprites like Darrel Spice, Jr. has done in "Space Rocks" for the Atari 2600.

Nice..

Is it just me?

I'm not hearing sound on your vid of the emulator on the Atari 800 version, but I am on the C64 version?

Thanks to all posters for the nice feedback.

The video for the Atari 800 version lacks sound (due to a problem with my Altirra installation I suppose), but the actual emulator supports sound also on the Atari 800.

Norbert

Have you considered a port to the C128? The extra speed makes a huge difference for the C128 port of Elite, I bet you could make good use of it too.

Thanks for your proposal, Hatta. I made an update of the Asteroids Emulator. The program now checks, if it is running on a C128 in C64 mode, and in that case it switches to the 2 MHz clock frequency, when the raster beam is in the border. This method allows a speedup of approximately 30% compared to the genuine C64 and results in smoother movements in the game.

Those, who are interested, can download the new version from http://web.utanet.at/nkehrer/

Best regards

Norbert

Edited by norbert_kehrer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...