IGNORED

Atari books that haven't been scanned

Allan

Does anybody have any Atari 8-bit books that are not in the Atari 8-bit book section of Atarimania? I know there are still some that are missing but there getting hard to find. Since I got scanning a book fine-tuned to the point where I can do most books in a couple of hours, I'd like to get the rest of the books put out in the Eighties into PDFs and onto the Net.

So if you guys with big collections could look and see if you have any rare Atari 8-bit books that we don't know about, that would be greatly appreciated.

Allan

• Like 2

Looking on my shelf and at the Atarimania list, I have a copy of "Atari Pilot for Beginners" that needs to be scanned, I also have a neat book from Datamost that's called "Software Author's Guide" that's a listing of publishers and their submission guidelines that I've not seen online, and a few pre-Atari books, including one called "Star Ship Simulation" from 1978 that's a complete listing for a "Star Trek" type game along with lots of annotation and game theory.

Looking on my shelf and at the Atarimania list, I have a copy of "Atari Pilot for Beginners" that needs to be scanned, I also have a neat book from Datamost that's called "Software Author's Guide" that's a listing of publishers and their submission guidelines that I've not seen online, and a few pre-Atari books, including one called "Star Ship Simulation" from 1978 that's a complete listing for a "Star Trek" type game along with lots of annotation and game theory.

Are any of these spiral bound? If books are spiral bound I can scan them and put them back together but if they are glue bound you have to destroy the book to scan them. I don't mind doing this if I know it's going to be online for everyone but some of the books can get expensive.

Allan

Writing Strategy Games on your Atari Computer

http://manillismo.bl...john-white.html

There are two copies of this on Amazon but a little over priced. :(

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0810465280/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I see this with a bunch of Atari books on Amazon. They want two or three hundred dollars for them. It's crazy. No one is ever going to buy them for that price.

Allan

In general, those are "algorithmic" prices based on the lack of other listings for the book. Since the market is so illiquid for those books, there's not enough pricing information for the "bots" to do the right thing.

Alas, both books I have are glue bound. I'm actually OK with the PILOT book being destroyed, but I kinda like the Star Ship one.

Edited by bcombee

There are really cool scanners that I am guessing most people cannot afford that have a couple of cameras set up at an angle and can flip pages automatically. The book sits in a cradle with this whole setup aligned around it. They can scan in a book without damaging it. To be rich...

Didn't I scan Advanced Atari Software Protection Techniques for you a year or two ago?

Not for me. I'm not part of the Atarimania team. I'm just scanning stuff since they are willing to host it. I'll look around to see if I can find it and upload to them so they can post it in their book section.

Allan

Gotcha. Whoever is the guy around here who is on the AM team is who I scanned it for. I don't have it handy now, but I remember most of the disks I sent to be imaged and books I scanned never ended up on the site, at least last I checked.

Gotcha. Whoever is the guy around here who is on the AM team is who I scanned it for. I don't have it handy now, but I remember most of the disks I sent to be imaged and books I scanned never ended up on the site, at least last I checked.

Which books are those? We should be talking about them and encouraging them to be posted! After all your efforts and the interest that is certainly here, it is warranted to bring it up.

It was all the Alpha Systems books, and some games manuals (but we're not talking about games manuals here, so just the Alpha Systems books).

They've been posted on this site (AA) before. I'm sure a search would turn them up. I don't have the hard drive that they'd be on handy right now, but worse comes to worse, I could dig them up again.

Edited by Mirage

I would like to mention "Games for your Atari 600XL" (not sure about the author, but I believe there was a "Ryan" in there, it was a small book with some great basic games). I never saw this one in scanned form, I used to own it, but haven't got it anymore.

Wait, found a thread about it here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/172855-games-for-your-atari-600xl-by-a-certain-mr-rybags/

I would like to mention "Games for your Atari 600XL" (not sure about the author, but I believe there was a "Ryan" in there, it was a small book with some great basic games). I never saw this one in scanned form, I used to own it, but haven't got it anymore.

Wait, found a thread about it here:

http://www.atariage....tain-mr-rybags/

Author is AtariAge member Rybags.

I have Italian version on my Italian manuals/books/magazines library: www.santellocco.com/atari/biblioteca.htm (scroll page)

Thank you Philsan!!!! Just looking at that cover brings back some wonderful memories!! (Not sure if it was really that much fun back in the days of type-in basic listings, with the Basic B lockups, tape errors, etc.). "Blockout" was actually a wonderful and very addictive game! At family parties it was a favorite, the two-player mode was fantastic for championships etc. THANKS!!!!

What kind of scanner(s) are you guys using? The only thing I have are a couple HP flatbeds. It's painstakingly-slow. Plus, after each scan, you have to tweak the contrast (etc.) sliders a little to get a nice image. Then it's a JPG. I then take an old Adobe Acrobat 6.0 (the only full version I ever had) and create PDF from JPGs. There's no OCR (etc).

I just think about the stuff like what Thumpnugget (what happened to him?) did. He did mostly magazines - the old BYTEs and others. But then, I think he did most of the A8 books that are on Atarimania and were (are?) in that big torrent. What was he using?

Part of the trouble with scanners:

(1) Ever-cheapening. The old flatbeds I have are really good quality mechanism.

(2) The software - and therefor the scanner, regardless of quality - is suddenly rendered obsolete thrift-store fodder with new release of Windows (or whatever your OS)

(3) Even disregarding the two above points, no model of ANYTHING (esp. electronics/computers) stays on the market long, since EVERYTHING has to be new. Tough to find a recommendation for a model that YOU can find.

Still, it would be fantastic to gather the best information possible on this, even if there's no perfect solution. I'd do more scanning (and probably have some things worth scanning) if I had some proper equipment. It takes untold hours to scan anything other than a few pages of something.

I sure am appreciative of you fellas who scan stuff. It's excellent work.

And seriously, what happened to Thumpnugget? That was "something else" when he was around, scanning.

Hi,

I'm sorry if we missed your emails. PM sent

Don't hesitate to put on our FTP your scans and we'll add them on site to share them with the Atari's community.

;-)

• 1 month later...

What kind of scanner(s) are you guys using? The only thing I have are a couple HP flatbeds. It's painstakingly-slow. Plus, after each scan, you have to tweak the contrast (etc.) sliders a little to get a nice image. Then it's a JPG. I then take an old Adobe Acrobat 6.0 (the only full version I ever had) and create PDF from JPGs. There's no OCR (etc).

I just think about the stuff like what Thumpnugget (what happened to him?) did. He did mostly magazines - the old BYTEs and others. But then, I think he did most of the A8 books that are on Atarimania and were (are?) in that big torrent. What was he using?

Part of the trouble with scanners:

(1) Ever-cheapening. The old flatbeds I have are really good quality mechanism.

(2) The software - and therefor the scanner, regardless of quality - is suddenly rendered obsolete thrift-store fodder with new release of Windows (or whatever your OS)

(3) Even disregarding the two above points, no model of ANYTHING (esp. electronics/computers) stays on the market long, since EVERYTHING has to be new. Tough to find a recommendation for a model that YOU can find.

Still, it would be fantastic to gather the best information possible on this, even if there's no perfect solution. I'd do more scanning (and probably have some things worth scanning) if I had some proper equipment. It takes untold hours to scan anything other than a few pages of something.

I sure am appreciative of you fellas who scan stuff. It's excellent work.

And seriously, what happened to Thumpnugget? That was "something else" when he was around, scanning.

Sorry, didn't see this post before.

I have an old Epson Perfection 1200 Photo with the doc feeder which I had to purchase seperately. Works really well. I use Vuescan 9.0 scanning software which is a great program. If a book has paper that is not to shinny and doesn't have really thick paper I can knock out a good size book in a couple of hours.

Allan