IGNORED

US Dept. Homeland Security Destroys Shrink-wrapped Games

Smitty

Has anyone thought of bringing this up to the news media outlets? We have news stations that help people with consumer complaints when a company (in this case, the government) does something wrong to the customer. Usually, things llke someone buys something and it never gets delivered, someone buys a product and the company refuses to fix it, etc. I think this is a great story the news media can expose. Something like "7 On Your Side" or similar.

Has anyone thought of bringing this up to the news media outlets? We have news stations that help people with consumer complaints when a company (in this case, the government) does something wrong to the customer. Usually, things llke someone buys something and it never gets delivered, someone buys a product and the company refuses to fix it, etc. I think this is a great story the news media can expose. Something like "7 On Your Side" or similar.

The problem is that nobody really knows who is doing this. The damaged items I received appeared to be tampered with before the box made it to US Customs. Some people have US Customs tape on their boxes, but it's not clear that US Customs actually did the box cutting. It's possible the boxes were opened by both Venezuela and US Customs in which case both would be to blame.

• 1 month later...

I received a package this week from Venezuela that was opened by US Customs. Fortunately, it seems they just opened the bottom of the box, looked at the contents, and sealed it back up. Nothing was damaged or missing. These were loose cart shells, so no boxes for them to tear open looking for contraband.

us_customs_package_from_venezuela.jpg

..Al

I thought I'd like to add something. A lot of other people have had similar problems in other hobbies. I also collect twisty puzzles (basically logic puzzles with interlocking parts that form rotating layers, similar to Rubik's Cubes but occasionally with exotic geometries), and several members have complained in the past that customs damaged their puzzles. Sometimes the puzzles were possible to repair, other times they weren't.

One example:

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23729

• Like 1

I sense it's like some of these customs inspectors don't see the value of old game cartridge boxes and think it doesn't matter about the box, and think there's no harm done in ripping open a mint condition box. Or they just don't give a crap, which is the most likely reason. I believe the LAST thing they want to hear is someone complaining about damaged game cartridge boxes, although complaining is justified. Customs has no obligation IIRC, to baby handle packages. I've dealt with them before, the various customs officers I've seen, so far, are like the damn Gestapo, the CANADIAN officers, that is, and YES i am Canadian BTW.

Edited by Rik

Customs can do pretty much anything they want. When I was in the navy they'd even board and search our submarine when returning to the US from foreign ports. That still amazes me to this day, that stupid customs can impose their authority even over military vessels. You'd think the navy could tell them to go to hell.

• Like 3

Received another package from Venezuela today. This one was opened by the Venezuela National Guard! And they didn't do as nice of a repacking job as the US Customs..

venezuela_package.jpg

That's two for two! I wonder if any packages make it from Venezuela to the US without being inspected.

..Al

I wonder if any packages make it from Venezuela to the US without being inspected.

..Al

I believe I have had 3 out of 5 packages arrive from Venezuela over the last 6 months that appeared to be unmolested.

From my experience, it is basically a coin flip.

Received another package from Venezuela today. This one was opened by the Venezuela National Guard! And they didn't do as nice of a repacking job as the US Customs..

venezuela_package.jpg

That's two for two! I wonder if any packages make it from Venezuela to the US without being inspected.

..Al

How are the contents? Or was it just cartridge shells again?

Edit: You'd think if they are going to open so many packages, that they'd have a place where citizens can initially pack their boxes in front of a customs officer. It'd save a ton of work/rework/damage.

Edited by Lentzquest

Customs can do pretty much anything they want. When I was in the navy they'd even board and search our submarine when returning to the US from foreign ports. That still amazes me to this day, that stupid customs can impose their authority even over military vessels. You'd think the navy could tell them to go to hell.

Yep, Customs has MORE authoritative power than all police forces combined, and they KNOW IT. That includes CIA and FBI in the states and RCMP in Canada!

• 4 weeks later...

I know those customers and they will receive their respective replacements.

This is now my second package in a row from eBay seller liwer2006 that has the entire content either missing or destroyed.

And while he promised here to replace destroyed games in fact he doesn't even answer to the messages.

So for me this was my last purchase in Venezuela. I'll not send a single Dollar more ever to this country.

This is now my second package in a row from eBay seller liwer2006 that has the entire content either missing or destroyed.

And while he promised here to replace destroyed games in fact he doesn't even answer to the messages.

So for me this was my last purchase in Venezuela. I'll not send a single Dollar more ever to this country.

Hello Andre and everybody.

I haven't had time to enter to this forum lately. I haven't received messages from you, just the comunication we boths keep in PayPal. You know my business email, my eBay account, PayPal account (you opened a case two weeks ago), etc., but you prefered to write me here to request refund, I don't understand you. The most of people here know the trouble with the Venezuelan and German customs very well. I can tell I have sold to many people here and yes, frequently the parcels are opened, but all they understand this is not the seller fault.

My eBay account is liwer2600. I received 8 negative feedbacks in a row for you today, the same day you deceided to pick up the parcel I shipped via FedEx (it arrived to Germany in 5 days). I can understand your disappointment when you received the goods in bad shape, but I don't understand why you want damage my profile if you know well this is not my fault. If you want a full refund, why didn't you only contact me and request me? Do you want replacements? I have replacements and can send to USA and, from there, to Germany so you can receive them in perfect condition.

Currently, I am sending the items to USA and ship from there. Business is getting better, however, these unfair feedbacks just destroy it. I just want to provide a great service for everybody.

If there is some customer that have purchased me on eBay and received a game in bad condition, just contacted me via this forum so I can replace it.

Thank you

Edited by Eur3ka
  • Like 1

I've ordered from liwer2006 twice now and my games have always arrived flawless. The most recent was the last week in May and arrived to me in Ohio about a week later via FedEx. That's excellent service in my book. I ordered them even after reading this thread and knowing that they might get damaged. It was a risk I decided to take, figuring it would still be worth it to me if only the cartridges were okay.

DSCF0525_zps1f82fccf.jpg

It's incredibly generous of him to even offer replacement games when it's clearly customs that destroys them. Most sellers wouldn't go that extra mile. Being in Venezuela means needing some patience with regard to replies. I personally think it's pretty low to drag his eBay feedback through the mud with 8 negatives when he is clearly not doing the damage. Feedback like that can really cripple a person's livelihood. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from liwer2006 any day of the week.

• Like 2

The most of people here know the trouble with the Venezuelan and German customs very well.

I've bought thousands of games over the last years from all over the world and never had any problems with the German customs or any other customs around the world except Venezuela. So your answer "German customs are destroying the goods and you know that." is just BS and you know that!

In fact, packages shipped by you were the only ever being opened. USPS can be rough to packages sometimes, but none got opened ever.

Here is why you got negative feedback this time:

- You only answer to half of the messages, you ignored at least 5 messages and emails asking for a replacement

- You take a long time to ship, between 1 and 3 weeks

- You lie about packages being shipped and provide wrong tracking numbers.

- You forget to ship items or ship wrong items. The Tron controller I bought last time could have never been in the package as it couldn't even fit in it. I never got it. Thanks for stealing my money!

In the past good packaging and nice items made up for all this, but this is now the second time in a row the entire content was missing or destroyed.

So unfortunately I need to warn everyone not to buy from you. It's no longer worth the hassle and risk.

Edited by Andre81

I've ordered from liwer2006 twice now and my games have always arrived flawless. The most recent was the last week in May and arrived to me in Ohio about a week later via FedEx. That's excellent service in my book. I ordered them even after reading this thread and knowing that they might get damaged. It was a risk I decided to take, figuring it would still be worth it to me if only the cartridges were okay.

DSCF0525_zps1f82fccf.jpg

It's incredibly generous of him to even offer replacement games when it's clearly customs that destroys them. Most sellers wouldn't go that extra mile. Being in Venezuela means needing some patience with regard to replies. I personally think it's pretty low to drag his eBay feedback through the mud with 8 negatives when he is clearly not doing the damage. Feedback like that can really cripple a person's livelihood. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from liwer2006 any day of the week.

While I agree with you that it's not entirely the seller's fault, it doesn't change the fact that a high proportion of these games are arriving slashed or damaged. At a minimum, if the seller isn't going to replace them, he needs to put that in the auction and explain that everything is at the buyer's risk. Frankly, I don't even think a seller can do that on Ebay, so he really shouldn't even be selling on there given the high frequency with which this is happening. I bought a bunch of games from one of the Venezuelan sellers who used to post here and they arrived totally destroyed and when he finally responded to my e-mails, he promised to replace them. He never did and as far as I'm concerned, all of these sellers are running a scam as they repeatedly change seller IDs and string things out just long enough to prevent an Ebay claim from being filed. I would highly recommend that everyone just assume that the items will arrive damaged and proceed accordingly.

It's incredibly generous of him to even offer replacement games when it's clearly customs that destroys them.

Promising a replacement and replacing destroyed items are two different things. As you can see from this thread (page 3/4) he clearly knew my last shipment was destoryed and he promised a replacement ("I know those customers and they will receive their respective replacements.").

Now ask him if he replaced my shipment.

Actually I even paid additional shipping last time for the Tron controller and he just pocketed the money for the controller and shipping.

I didn't replace the games you purchased on December 2012 because you told me that DHL Germany would refund the money. Here is your email from February 1st 2013: "Did you get the pictures? DHL will refund the games and shipping. Do you have another copy of the Atari 2600 games?". If DHL refunded all the money, why should I ship the games?

Please send me the item number of the Tron controller you say purchased from me.

While I agree with you that it's not entirely the seller's fault, it doesn't change the fact that a high proportion of these games are arriving slashed or damaged. At a minimum, if the seller isn't going to replace them, he needs to put that in the auction and explain that everything is at the buyer's risk. Frankly, I don't even think a seller can do that on Ebay, so he really shouldn't even be selling on there given the high frequency with which this is happening. I bought a bunch of games from one of the Venezuelan sellers who used to post here and they arrived totally destroyed and when he finally responded to my e-mails, he promised to replace them. He never did and as far as I'm concerned, all of these sellers are running a scam as they repeatedly change seller IDs and string things out just long enough to prevent an Ebay claim from being filed. I would highly recommend that everyone just assume that the items will arrive damaged and proceed accordingly.

My eBay account has 7 years active. The problem with the damaged goods by customs began this year, ask to Andre. I have replaced games or refund money to the most of the buyers when the items arrive damaged. Currently, the most of games are shipped from USA to all over the world, so this should give more confidence to the buyers. In my return policy says clearly that the "refund will be given as: money back or item exchange (buyer's choice)"