I love the text of the GUILT PLEDGE.

GUILT PLEDGE

========================================

Thank Lord British and prove your

virtue with a $10 donation. If you ever

pirated an Ultima game or used an

exploit to grief other players in Ultima

Online, here's your chance to repent!

While I purchased each and every Ultima that I played (sometimes more than once: Atari, Ultima Collection, Steam), I believe that I made copies of the disks for my friends after modifying my 810 disk drive to write bad sectors.

Bill

What are they whining about?

There's the non-Ultima playing UO player PVP people that want their fair share of enjoyment.

I say, screw em!

Go play League of Legends if you just want to kill players and ignore story/single playering.

I'm still not sure how this isn't a MMORPG yet..

From the FAQ:

Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

Since I'm not a fan of MMORPGs, it will be interesting to see what he means here...

I'm a single player RPG fan myself..

So, still reserving my pledge until I find out more..

desiv

(Looking at my shelf at my Ultima II-V for the Apple II boxed games and hoping...)

• Like 1

Sounds like just what is stated--it's a multiplayer game, but not a MASSIVELY multiplayer game. You'll only see people you know. How that is determined remains to be seen, but Garriott mentioned using Google+ and Facebook as means of finding "friends" to play along with. Sounds like this will be an optional component to the game. Hopefully.

..Al

Everyone seems to associate Online and RPG with MMO.

However, there was a time when that was a load of balls.

Neverwinter Nights, for example?

there was the option of playing Baldur's Gate with friends, too.

I blame WoW. It's caused people to not think properly anymore.

• Like 2

That's what I gathered. it sounds like multiplayer will be instanced, probably similar to Guild Wars, but with more interaction in other ways. Multiplayer parties and such will most likely be instanced, but the world will be a "persistant" world, where friends can build a house or shop and have it appear in all of their friends' games. It sounds like LB has learned a few lessons over the years in regards to persistent worlds and MMOs.

• Like 2

I blame WoW. It's caused people to not think properly anymore.

It's not that we aren't thinking properly (thanx for the insult btw).

I know what multiplayer games are and I'm willing to bet other people do as well.

Its just that, from the description, I can't yet tell how they are going to differentiate their game from a MMORPG.

Personally, I'm hoping it has a good single player experience.

Not a fan of multiplayer RPGs, Massively or not...

I'm sure they are great, just not my cup of tea.

desiv

I love the text of the GUILT PLEDGE.

While I purchased each and every Ultima that I played (sometimes more than once: Atari, Ultima Collection, Steam), I believe that I made copies of the disks for my friends after modifying my 810 disk drive to write bad sectors.

Bill

Same here. I stepped back a bit and thought "did I ever have an illegit copy of an Ultima game?" Turns out, the answer was no. I bought them all outright, even when I was a poor kid.

That's what I gathered. it sounds like multiplayer will be instanced, probably similar to Guild Wars, but with more interaction in other ways. Multiplayer parties and such will most likely be instanced, but the world will be a "persistant" world, where friends can build a house or shop and have it appear in all of their friends' games. It sounds like LB has learned a few lessons over the years in regards to persistent worlds and MMOs.

Totally agree. He did learn a lot it seems. I'm thankful you can play single player though for the story etc. I love Neverwinter Nights and even a game of Diablo II etc with friends now and then but those worlds were static.

I don't want this to be an MMO at all which in many ways is multiplayer only. Granted WOW and some games have made it possible to adventure "alone" but its still a whole different deal.

Edited by cimerians

Looks good, I am in with the First Responder deal.

Same here. I'd really like to spend more but can't afford it right now (and especily cause I have about $500 tied up in OTHER Kickstarter projects!)

I don't expect the First Responder ($25) to last long -- and they very smartly added another 'early' responder level at $30. And getting beta access to the game for just $25 is pretty good.

Yeah, I jumped on Torment also as soon as I got the e-mail from the company about it, and I can not believe how fast that got funded! Even the developers were in shock. I expect the same thing to happen here. It's off to a good start allready -- $350,000 and climbing.

And holy shit, two people plunked down $10k! :-o

I am super excited for this one, but I have to say, I was a bit bummed for the following:

1.) Digital only. I am as much a fan of the Ultima games, as I am the boxed versions I have collected over the years. At least there is a cloth map available! ;)

2.) PC only. I could be wrong on this one, but it seems there will be no Mac version here. I only own a Mac, so I will need to purchase a PC in order to play this (and I will). Just a personal bummer for me.

Other than that, color me very surprised...this is a pleasant departure from the UO MMO world, returning to the Ultima I have loved since my formative years. Definitely worth the price of admission...even if I have to buy a PC! :thumbsup:

1.) Digital only. I am as much a fan of the Ultima games, as I am the boxed versions I have collected over the years. At least there is a cloth map available! ;)

Yeah, I was hoping that a box (and printed documentation) would be available once you hit a certain backing level. Especially since Garriott talked at length about the packaging of the older games during the introduction podcast. I hope they change their mind on this.

2.) PC only. I could be wrong on this one, but it seems there will be no Mac version here. I only own a Mac, so I will need to purchase a PC in order to play this (and I will). Just a personal bummer for me.

They are targeting PC, Mac, and Linux.

..Al

• Like 1