IGNORED

Someone design a 3D Printable 1450XLD case, please! (8^)>

Noelio

With 3D printing due to E-X-P-L-O-D-E this year and next, it would be nice to be able to print out a nice 1450 case using XL or XE innards, keyboard, SIO2PC. There's high enough resolution and stronger, variable color materials available now to make it so. Not only the 1450 but maybe it's soon time to catalog all the rare atari line in 3d print ready design. No thanks on the 1027 parts lol!

-The 1450 upper section housing a standard 5 1/4 BluRay/DVD or floppy drive with a standard or Pico ITX motherboard fitted in to act as gateway/host via SIO2PC, which too, could be internalized.

-A 1050 or XF551 drive could be internalized -for purists. Slight modification to make either happen if a base design is completed already.

I haven't ordered my makerbot kit yet but when I do I'm hoping there will be a platform big enough and within reach $wise that could pull off such a job. IF there is no printable design in the wild I will be motivated enough to attempt it. Hopefully some other crazy bastard with too much time on their hands and lots of 3d design experience will have it under way by then.

The key is having designs print ready for the inevitable onslaught of 3d printing ahead. Maybe Albert could house the designs here. Even a small fee to download community approved, "AA Certified" designs would fly and the AA community approved logo could be etched on the bottom or rear.

Steel bracing would be an issue but a willing hacker with a drill press & a dremmel could pull that off with an old case cover or even some angle braces if necessary. The external case is definitely the focus here.

I think we'd all want one and those of us with access to the gear could probably print some for those in our regions for cost + a case of beer avoiding cross border shipping headaches etc.

Well, most -except Beetle would probably want one! LOL.

Just throwing it out there!

3D Printing is very interesting, In the future maybe Retro computer users Can Print out new Cases for whatever Retro computer easy as today printing. Maybe there will be archives of Retro Computer cases 3D Print outs avaible on the net.

So you can have a new case for your Atari 8-Bit computer or for Amigas or Commodores, or whatever case you like.

Im no expert on this subject but i guess 3D Printing is gonna be very interesting for whatever one want to use it for. :thumbsup:

Edited by Grevle

What is the strength of the 3D printed plastic? There isn't much room for Steel bracing/angle braces in a 140XLD beside what the original ones had. I'd like one if the case can be made as strong as and the same as an original.

They are making 3D printed AR-15 receivers that can withstand firing up to 1000 5.56 rounds so I'd say you could make a physically strong case. However who knows how it would hold up over time with natural exposure to the elements.

Edit: I have a 1450 XLD lower case half, RF shield, and motherboard that I bought back in 2007, along with a working 1400XL prototype and a 1090XL expansion. If someone wants to scan it in I'd lend out the lower case half to get things started...

I can't think of the guys name off the top of my head but someone on these forums made a reproduction 1450XLD out of a 1200XL and some 1050 cases, I have pictures of it somewhere.

Edited by Bumzyman
  • Like 2

yeah, but you still need someone crazy enough to put time into designing the 3d model...

hmm... don't I know 3d modelling? oh yeah! I do! :) and I hear curt has working drawings (I am assuming the fully dimensioned, capable of fully replicating the case kind) of various original atari cases...

the only problem is that I only have access to modelling software at school, which is probably the educational you-can't-legally-use-this-except-for-educational-purposes version

Edited by Joey Z

yeah, but you still need someone crazy enough to put time into designing the 3d model...

Also need access to a 3D printer that can do a very large format. All the consumer-affordable printers I've seen can only handle a few inches length/width. Nothing as large as a 1450 case.

Or the case would have to be broken down into multiple chunks in a size the printers can handle. (weakening the case integrity).

The gigabot is the largest, affordable 3D printer I've heard of, but it depends on your definition of "affordable". (is 600mm x 600mm big enough?) (And it's only recently been Kickstarted, so it won't be available for some months.)

http://www.webpronews.com/gigabot-makes-large-format-3d-printing-cheap-2013-03

I have all of the mechanical drawings the 3D modeling has already been started, will talk about this in the summer once other things are off my plate.

hmm... don't I know 3d modelling? oh yeah! I do! :) and I hear curt has working drawings (I am assuming the fully dimensioned, capable of fully replicating the case kind) of various original atari cases...

the only problem is that I only have access to modelling software at school, which is probably the educational you-can't-legally-use-this-except-for-educational-purposes version

• Like 2

Thought this might be of interest..

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/99557-the-1450xld-fake-thread/page__st__50?do=findComment&comment=1207216

I remember wanting to try something like this but my skills in fabricating are not so good.

If we ever do get some reproduction cases made up all we need next is some custom made motherboards with all the new age bells and whistles thrown in.

Thought this might be of interest..

http://atariage.com/...50#entry1207216

I remember wanting to try something like this but my skills in fabricating are not so good.

If we ever do get some reproduction cases made up all we need next is some custom made motherboards with all the new age bells and whistles thrown in.

I know it's been a while, but check Curts' post from 1.5 years ago.

http://atariage.com/...ost__p__2366012

I *L-O-V-E* the mod Beetle did. Damn that's one crafty dude!

I'm getting a 3d printer this year. Still not sure what offering. The Gigabot looks promising for sure. It would be nice if someone with the time, skill & resources could do a 3d model of the 1450. I'm going to try, either way.

Maybe a 3d digital parts catalog could be an ongoing endeavor here. I see 3d digital mods on the horizon so Ben Heck, step aside buddy! HA!

• 3 months later...

I have all of the mechanical drawings the 3D modeling has already been started, will talk about this in the summer once other things are off my plate.

As always, Curt's the man!

Hmmm...I seem to recall suggesting this [3D printing 1400XL and 1450XLD cases] about 2 years ago and getting flamed over the suggestion.

Maybe we can get some exotic designs going...like translucent 5200 and 7800 replacement cases.

Edited by Lynxpro

On the subject, I do have a 3D printer. A nice start would be a model for the 1030 case so all of the SIO2SD guys can stop mangling them.

But would you feel the same if they used the SX212 instead?

Didn't Atari Corp. use that case also for the interface for the SMM804 and also as the case for the XEP80?

And I thought the SD conversions were mainly being done with various non-working Atari tape drives...

I'm not sure what the SMM804 is, but yes, the SX212 and XEP-80 share the same case.

SLM804 laser printer. The adapter box was the SLMC804 and it appears to be the same case as used by the SX212 and the XEP-80. I had an SX212 back in the day and it was a great modem; shame Atari didn't offer a 2400 baud - or greater - model [to my recollection]. I used that sucker until buying a Practical Peripherals 14.4k portable modem which I used with my Falcon and my friend's HP Vectra PC.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/16bits/printers/laser/slm804.html

As always, Curt's the man!

Hmmm...I seem to recall suggesting this [3D printing 1400XL and 1450XLD cases] about 2 years ago and getting flamed over the suggestion.

Ya I remebere that. I got a pasting as well. But I agree that a 1450xld case would be GREAT to have. Though a bit modified to be able to hold any A8 motherboard, 2 1050's, and all the power supplies. I do not have a 3D printer nor and CAD skills for the modification, but again, I'm sure there are those in AtariLand that do. If such a case were manufatured, someone would be able to make a lot of coinage from it. imo