IGNORED

MyIDE II Not Compatible with the Atari 800?

Tempest

Let me add more confusion:

Works fine with my totally unmodified NTSC 800.

The same with my PAL 400 (48k).

But I could not test with CF Card, as these computers do not even the shutter sensor deactivated, so that I can´t put a card in, as the lid won´t close then.

What the....

That must have something to do with the latest firmware I got from Steve. I have core 00006

I had some very unwanted issues on 800XL .. and I had screen 'birdies' on modified XE's ... so I needed that upgrade. but now it does not work in my 800p

But that's ok... I am going to use MyIDE 2 only for games with the FAT32 loader and for Cart development. IDE+ will be my primary harddisk interface soon.

@skr cool MULE shirt you have there btw.

Most are 8K or 16K, some are 32K, 64K, or 128K. Here's what I wanted to put on my cart:

http://www.atariprotos.com/temp/8bit_Cartridges.zip

and the protos I released earlier:

http://www.atariprotos.com/temp/8bitprotos.zip

I guess I should change the title of the thread since it's not Incognito that's the problem, it's the MyIDE incompatibility with the 800.

Let me add more confusion:

Works fine with my totally unmodified NTSC 800.

The same with my PAL 400 (48k).

But I could not test with CF Card, as these computers do not even the shutter sensor deactivated, so that I can´t put a card in, as the lid won´t close then.

I was just trying it without the card in as well. I wonder what the problem is? What firmware are you using? My cart was from the first batch and I haven't upgraded yet so it should be the earliest version.

Something else just occurred to me, how does Incognito and SIDE work with save disks? For example, if you want to make a save disk for a text adventure. Do you just have a blank disk file in a spare slot and swap that in as needed?

i think i just add ability to load them as they are

if they are protected - meaning overwriting themselves in memory, then we're out of luck, and they need to be altered by hand

but if not, they will simply work just like that

i'm going to forever party (8bit multiplatform event at Slovakia, Trencin, Horna Suca) in few hours, but i think i'll take my pc with me and do some coding there

I got this response over on the Atarimax forums from the man himself:

The cartridge itself will not work until I have time to sit down with an 800 and create a suitable hardware core. Even then, parts of the software that require ram under the OS will malfunction unless there is an upgrade in place that simulates it.

For now, it is only for XL/XE computers with at least 64kB.

And this from another user ProWizard

It's not about the RAM. The MyIDE 2 cart could even be a simple 8K cartridge if you remove all the contents and put a 8K cart in bank #$00 of the cart. This probably already does not work properly.

It is -what steve writes- a technical compatibility issue between the programable logic in the MyIDE 2 cart, and the signals on the atari 800; which are obviously a bit different than on atari xl/xe.

The incognito board is a fine upgrade, but does not change this 'behavior' of the original machine.

So there you have it. Doesn't sound like a fix is going to come soon. Hopefully Candle can get his changes to work and we won't have to worry about this.

It says right at the start of the AtariMax documentation:

"The Atarimax MyIDE-II CompactFlash Cartridge is a professionally produced Compact Flash interface for the Atari XL/XE computers."

I do hope that Tempest can get his unit working, but looks like it was never intended to work with an 800.

-Larry

...but it says right at the start of the AtariMax documentation:

"The Atarimax MyIDE-II CompactFlash Cartridge is a professionally produced Compact Flash interface for the Atari XL/XE computers." I read through there quite throughly, and I see nothing about 400/800.

I must have missed that. I didn't even look because the older AtariMax flash carts worked with 800 so I assumed this one would as well. Well hopefully it can be made to work with the 800.

• 3 weeks later...

i think i just add ability to load them as they are

if they are protected - meaning overwriting themselves in memory, then we're out of luck, and they need to be altered by hand

but if not, they will simply work just like that

i'm going to forever party (8bit multiplatform event at Slovakia, Trencin, Horna Suca) in few hours, but i think i'll take my pc with me and do some coding there

Any update on this? No hurry, I know you're busy with several things. I was just curious.

yes, i'll send you xex version of the loader you can see for yourself if this is worth keeping - many games do something stupid like ldy random, tya sta b800,y destroying themself if it ram

copy protection...

but now i have to rush out