IGNORED

"125 Club" for Jaguar Owners?

doctorclu

But for me, anything completed and sold on the Jag (which includes Jagware and Matthias and others. e.g Antother World) is an official Jag release to me, what difference does it make if Atari is still selling the Jag or not? They are all just third-party developments, and just as official to me as any third-party games sold during the Jags' commercial life time, in fact, as long as stuff is being made and sold as official Jag releases in homebrew, the Jag's commercial life isn't even over!

An official release would've been available at retail. I bought several Telegames releases at my local Electronics Boutique.

"Official" kind of loses its meaning if you include anything printed and packaged for sale by anyone at any time.

Does this mean only 5 people can possibly have complete sets as there were only 5 Jagtopia CDs produced? :) What about the even more rare Superfly DX Duo? ;)

If they were a commercial-quality release that was sold for profit (regardless if enough were sold to actually make a profit overall) then yes.

Actually we'd mock all the fools who bought Motocross 3D, Trevor McFur and a slew of other utterly shitty games in the name of completeness ;)

I'm a proud member of the 'Idiots with Highlander' club.

I'm a proud owner of both Highlander and Supercross 3D, I like them both...do I think they could have and should have been better? Yes.

I was a completest collector upto about 2005, when I sold it all off, I had about 95% at that time, with only the real stinkers like DD5 left to get. This time around I'm just collecting games I like, and don't care about being complete anymore. Though I have been trying to be complete on all the home-brew CD releases, whether sold or one I burn myself. I even made up DVD cases with covers for them.

But this time around, for the most part, I decided to only include games I felt worthy to be shown off, witha few exceptions like Supercross 3D. When someone visits, and wants to check out my jag collection, I won't have but a very few "bad" games for them to inquire about or try, and I can steer them clear easily, with plenty of other good offerings.

• Like 1

An official release would've been available at retail. I bought several Telegames releases at my local Electronics Boutique.

"Official" kind of loses its meaning if you include anything printed and packaged for sale by anyone at any time.

To me that doesn't make sense, if you develop, print and package a game for sale 20 years ago or today, it's an official release. Third-party developers ARE "by anyone at any time" Regardless if during the commercial life of the system or not. What you are saying is that new, quality commercial releases like Impulse X or the upcoming Another world would have been official if released during Atari's era, but not now. And if Iron Soldier 2 wasn't released until now by Telegames, it not official either. That is not logical to me. Time, when something is released, should have absolutely no bearing. New 2600 releases are still "official" to me, logically. Otherwise you have to exclude

EVERYTHING but what Atari themselves published as "official." The same with every other console ever released.

Edited by Gunstar

Gorf was an official release, according to 3D Stooges

In the context of this thread that is irrelevant - it's a matter of where to draw a line between Atari released games, stuff that appeared shortly afterwards and everything released between then and now, not a matter of how legally sanctioned a ported homebrew might or might not have been or whether the author believed it to be so then or now.

It doesn't really matter where people like to draw their line as long as they're collecting for the right reasons and not neglecting to pay the bills or eat in order to save up for the more expensive stuff :lol: I don't actively collect and I certainly don't have much time for playing all that many games on Jaguar... but I do seem to have a knack for accumulating things and that could and often is confused with collecting :lolblue:

• Like 2

The trouble for me and anyone who also has only three minutes spare time each day is take your eye off the forum for two months or whatever and that's it you've missed a new release forever. Well annoyed at not getting hold of blackout and mad bodies and god knows what else. Still im in for another world and looking forward to that. My point is if there's no hope of getting these releases why count them in your own list of complete titles.

What about the Starcat Dev CDs, Ocean Depths and Bomb Squad, official releases?

I would say yes, except for dev CDs, (NO dev stuff, even from Atari was ever officially released, commercially, only to developers) I think we are only talking about stand-alone titles/games, not development tools or source code, alphas/betas, etc.

But at the same time, I do not include "releases" like B&C does with cartridges of Brett Hull Hockey, Space War 2000, and others, those are NOT official releases in my book. But, then most are incomplete betas anyway, only Brett Hull is the finished deal. I also don't consider Phase Zero that both B&C and Songbird are selling to be official either, again, a beta, even if you can get a box for it.

Edited by Gunstar

The trouble for me and anyone who also has only three minutes spare time each day is take your eye off the forum for two months or whatever and that's it you've missed a new release forever. Well annoyed at not getting hold of blackout and mad bodies and god knows what else. Still im in for another world and looking forward to that. My point is if there's no hope of getting these releases why count them in your own list of complete titles.

Limited releases do suck, if I don't miss them, I usually can't partake becuase of a lack of funds when they are on "limited sale." Another World is the first I managed to get in a long time, but then, I didn't care about Mad Bodies or Blackout anyway, and some other "puzzle" releases like previous releases from Matthias and Starcat. So I don't feel I missed out, just like I don't feel I've missed out by not owning Zoop or Flip-out, even though I can still get those. You can't "miss out" on something you don't want in the first place!

• Like 2

What about the Starcat Dev CDs, Ocean Depths and Bomb Squad, official releases?

Homebrew, homebrew and homebrew. I don't think any homebrew should be required in any context to call a collection of Jag games complete. That includes Mad Bodies, Blackout and all that stuff that was 'released' in very limited quanities. It's just homebrew stuff, some of it is of nice quality, don't get me wrong, but to me, it's 'official homebrew' and that's about as official as it gets. It's not licensed by Atari Corp, and was never in development during the Jaguar life cycle.

Double Dragon V, as crappy as it is, is a legitimate Jaguar 'official' release. It carries 1000x the weight of the term official in a collection than any homebrew produced.

• Like 2

It's difficult to draw the line. I would say that if it wasn't available for sale at retail, it's not official. This means that Telegames releases would count toward completeness but Air Cars, Songbird releases, Battlesphere and homebrew titles would not. Or you could just exclude homebrew and unfinished games (Arena Football, Phase Zero, Space War 2000, etc.). Games that are complete, appropriately licensed and were started during the Jaguar's prime would count. These would include Air Cars, Songbird releases, and Battlesphere.

• Like 1

Air Cars, Songbird releases, Battlesphere and homebrew titles would not.
Games that are complete, appropriately licensed and were started during the Jaguar's prime would count. These would include Air Cars

contradicted yourself there!

How about 'only good games count' then we can all buy Tempest 2000 and be done ;)

• Like 5

contradicted yourself there!

How about 'only good games count' then we can all buy Tempest 2000 and be done ;)

No contradiction. I did throw an "Or..." In there! To my mind these two scenarios make the most sense with the first being my preference - mainly because I don't have BS/BSG. Self-serving? You bet! :)

Also, I like your T2K bar for entry. I wager that 95% of Jaguar owners are already in the club! ;)

• Like 1

Can't seem to quote from my phone but what gunstar said struck a chord with me today. You can't miss out if you never wanted it in the first place. Troy aikman arrived today so I plugged it in. Went straight to the pitch as I know nothing about American football, couldn't even move the player selected, turned off the jag and stowed the cart away with the others. It's total madness for the sake of completeness. And that five second experience cost me a tenner. Might rethink brutal and fever pitch etc. Anyone else done this? Or am I alone in this madness?!

I thought so!

Maybe Al can set up an email alert system that we can subscribe to for whenever new releases such as blackout, mad bodies or another world become available for order. That way we don't miss out if we happen to be away from the forum for a few months.

Maybe Al can set up an email alert system that we can subscribe to for whenever new releases such as blackout, mad bodies or another world become available for order. That way we don't miss out if we happen to be away from the forum for a few months.

There's no good reason for being away from the forums for months at a time these days, look around you, there are probably half a dozen devices that you can browse the web with :-)

Mad Bodies was on sale for at least 3 months, probably more like 4, and that was 4 years ago now, it got huge coverage on all kinds of big games sites imply because of the sheer novelty of a Jaguar cartridge game after such a long period without any. Since then it's appeared on eBay and sold for 100s and also sold for less than the original price. I think even Blackout has been resold a number of times, some guy in Germany barely getting his money back once or twice. I think AW has been the only slightly tricky one to go for, due to the pre-order window & the wait for the game, but it was still over 60 days to work with. There are also lots of threads that mention upcoming games both here and at js2, so you pretty much know which games are coming soon or over the next half year or so (well, apart from any announced at MGC this weekend, anything there seems to have been a surprise announce for the show).

Can't seem to quote from my phone but what gunstar said struck a chord with me today. You can't miss out if you never wanted it in the first place. Troy aikman arrived today so I plugged it in. Went straight to the pitch as I know nothing about American football, couldn't even move the player selected, turned off the jag and stowed the cart away with the others. It's total madness for the sake of completeness. And that five second experience cost me a tenner. Might rethink brutal and fever pitch etc. Anyone else done this? Or am I alone in this madness?!

I have done this. First off, Brutal Sports Football is like Rugby with swords, bombs, and other things on the field. Both teams are actually robots, and you can pummel the opponents till heads are bouncing all over the field. Simple 16 bit graphics, great game.

But this club would give love to all those early games, including Troy Aikman Football and DD5. I've seen games like those in the wild from time to time, but didn't really have a need to pick them up. Now if nothing else as a conversation piece I would. :)

Sh3-rg mentioned that basically we just need to figure out where to draw the line, and I'm thinking of starting a poll for that.

This statement broke it down pretty good I thought...

It's difficult to draw the line. I would say that if it wasn't available for sale at retail, it's not official. This means that Telegames releases would count toward completeness but Air Cars, Songbird releases, Battlesphere and homebrew titles would not. Or you could just exclude homebrew and unfinished games (Arena Football, Phase Zero, Space War 2000, etc.). Games that are complete, appropriately licensed and were started during the Jaguar's prime would count. These would include Air Cars, Songbird releases, and Battlesphere.

Choices are so far:

1-Games that were available during the hayday of the Jaguar (1993-1996) plus Telegames.

2-Games that were finished during and shortly after the hayday (All above, plus Songbird and Battlesphere.)

3-All of the above plus games that were developed in this time but not completed (Arena Football, Phase Zero, Space War, Total Carnage)

Those three poll choices look good, or should others be added, or any of the three above touched up a bit?

Get some suggestions then we'll run the poll.

Yes I see no reason why Total Carnage and Robinson's Requiem should not be included with all other Songbird Releases, as those are even more refined and complete than the others. Phase Zero is just a demo and does not belong in the second group however, along with any other demo and unfinished game.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman