IGNORED

incognito board preorder #2

candle

• 2 weeks later...

all SMT components of orginally ordered boards (32 boards) are assembled as they were here

i'm expecting to start shipping them out in 2-3 weeks from now

sorry it takes that long - i belive i'm behind the schelude, but the truth is, i've received CPLD chips (last missing components) last week although they were ordered in the same time as all the rest

also, smt placement and soldering takes me too much of my time, so i'm considering massive upgrade to my workshop

thing with things like that is they cost alot, even the simpliest pick and place machine that would be of any use is over $6000 shipped, and you need to add 23% of tax on top of that

reflow oven and stencils for solder paste are almost for free compared to that

subcontractors aren't an option with volumes i do - it is simply too expensive in such small scale

so it comes down to either getting it done on my machines (yet to buy) or to stop doing any projects for general public at all :(

Sebastian

• Like 1

Hi Sebastian!

I can only speak for me, but I´m sure that nobody here has ANY doubt that you are delivering the ordered goods. And of course the most people should know the time and energy you´ve to put in such private projects without getting rich. And better slow than nothing ;) (but for me this is not slow... !).

Regards, Juergen

Sounds like you're really at a place where the volume is too much for one person, but not enough to easily justify buying the machinery needed to bring it back down to a one-man job.

Perhaps a kickstarter or something similar is in order?

The goal of Kickstarter is not to buy stuff you can´t afford on your own, so this wouldn´t be a serious option.

As there are some people building hardware for the Atari computers, wouldn´t they profit from such equipment too? So what about trying to get some people together and share such a machine? (I don´t have any idea how portable it is, maybe sharing is not possible because of distances). If you get a "hardware team" together, it might be easier to get some fundings. Try to enter something to the ABBUC hardware contest. If you win, you have some hundreds Euro as a starter.

Just some ideas. I hope you´ll be able to produce great hardware forever. :)

simpliest usable (benchtop) i found weights 65kg ;) but most common form factor is large cabinet on stabilised platform

this is how portable these systems are

programming it is not trivial also

eventually i'll buy it, it's a matter of time

all SMT components of orginally ordered boards (32 boards) are assembled as they were here

i'm expecting to start shipping them out in 2-3 weeks from now

sorry it takes that long - i belive i'm behind the schelude, but the truth is, i've received CPLD chips (last missing components) last week although they were ordered in the same time as all the rest

also, smt placement and soldering takes me too much of my time, so i'm considering massive upgrade to my workshop

thing with things like that is they cost alot, even the simpliest pick and place machine that would be of any use is over $6000 shipped, and you need to add 23% of tax on top of that

reflow oven and stencils for solder paste are almost for free compared to that

subcontractors aren't an option with volumes i do - it is simply too expensive in such small scale

so it comes down to either getting it done on my machines (yet to buy) or to stop doing any projects for general public at all :(

Sebastian

You can do it in smaller batches like 10 at a time, once you ship those you can do another 10 etc. This way buyers won't have to wait for too long, or pay the $6000... ouch !

no, I can't Ray

reason is simple - if you have MOQ of 90 chips, $10 each, and another MOQ on boards things aren't that easy

a budget of single project like this one for example is something around $2500 for 40 boards, and this is only for parts

besides, we've been through this before, no need to repeat ourselves

besides, it would only make things slower

the way i'm doing it right now minimises assembly time required

next step is to buy solder paste dispenser and reflow oven, and then, to increase efficiency even more - some kind of pick and place machine

and cheapest usable is $4980 plus another $1000 for shipping

no, I can't Ray

reason is simple - if you have MOQ of 90 chips, $10 each, and another MOQ on boards things aren't that easy

a budget of single project like this one for example is something around $2500 for 40 boards, and this is only for parts

besides, we've been through this before, no need to repeat ourselves

besides, it would only make things slower

the way i'm doing it right now minimises assembly time required

next step is to buy solder paste dispenser and reflow oven, and then, to increase efficiency even more - some kind of pick and place machine

and cheapest usable is $4980 plus another $1000 for shipping

Your are right Candle, the cost to obtain the machinery to increase production, especially electronics, is very costly. I'm currently in the process of building my own CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine, and it is almost complete. My cost will be around $900USD when the machine is completed. I do a lot of wood working, but I can see this machine very capable of handing some electronic PCB stuff, to include applying paste and component placements. It will be interesting to look into this and see what would be required.

i've build some cnc machines back in the days, but somehow they always were unfinnished, still have them, and maybe i'll get to them back, but simple things that are missing held these project back

somehow it is hard to get anyone with mill or a router to machine custom parts needed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Payment sent for one board and glad I got in on the tail end of this second run.

I dug my original Atari 800 out of storage yesterday and it powered right up after a 10 year hibernation! :thumbsup:

I somehow missed the entire development stage and first read about Incognito in Magic Knight's 'Desert Island Atari' thread. Some people wanted their Incognito equipped 800 to pass the time until rescue. Having the complete Atari 400/800/XL/XE library in one package makes perfect sense.

I did get a transaction pending message with up to a 72 hour delay for Paypal to review payment. I am guessing this is because I have not done an international transaction of any kind in over two years. Has anyone else in the USA or elsewhere had their transaction put on hold? :?

I dug my original Atari 800 out of storage yesterday and it powered right up after a 10 year hibernation! :thumbsup:

Even if it did not, it would most likely be the fault of one of those 4700 μF capacitors on the internal voltage regulation board - these are easy to replace even for someone as clumsy at soldering as me - becuase they are huge!

• 2 weeks later...

Have the boards shipped yet? If so when should I expect to receive them in California?

It took about 12 days to get to oregon, east coast was a day or so sooner, when he ship's he will email you a tracking number and then you

will know. I do not think he has shipped yet, he is a busy man.