IGNORED

"Thin Ice" Gate Fold Reproduction Box

digress

I would never do that....

I personally think a re-release of spiker by Intellivision productions would kill the high prices for the original, but you never know.

I would never pay more than a couple of hundred for a rare game......I feel bad taking more than that even.....

We know you wouldn't. :-) We r just kidding.

And i personally believe a intv prod new release of spiker would temporarily bring down the price of spiker but then after it was no longer available the price would shoot right back up. Its this way with alot of collectables when they re-release stuff.

I think the gatefold Thin Ice box looks great, and as a releatively new collector I would have thought the "Action Network" on the spine would have tipped off that its not an original because a) Mattel had dropped the network system in 1983 and b) INTV never used the networks system and released the game in 1986(or so).

I think that any production run of reproduction boxes need to have it stated clearly but discretely (maybe on the inside cover at the bottom of either side).

The box is great and if a gatefold series were looked into I would be interested, especially for Mattel titles from 1983

I still like the idea of making a repro box as close to the original as possible (in the case of Thin Ice, remove the "Action Network", but keep the 1983 and INTV), but I also like having a small identifier on the bottom flap. It's just a bunch of disclaimers there anyway, so no big deal that it mentions that it's a repro box. It wouldn't stand out, but it's there if you want to verify (for those who are purists). I also like the gatefold upgrade, which is totally a dead giveaway for most purists.

Update.

I have attached a revised box. It now states on the back that it is a reproduction. I also made a few minor tweaks.

Also pictured is my "Special" Left hand version which opens the reverse for any ned flanders people out there. It's also made of a special micro corrugate so it's so strong I think I cold run it over with my car and it would survive.

At least one thin ice cartridge will survive for the next 30-40 years.

I'm not sure if you serious or not. I think the cost of shipping would kill the viability of making these to sell. I'd have to make a bunch to get the cost per item down to a doable amount.

I think that's why other people who've done it tend to have like 5-6 boxes sold in a set and one shipping cost for 5 or 6 makes it more reasonable.

If there was some interest I could get a price together.

Of course I could recreate a few other boxes and make said set. Any suggestions.

How can I get one of each box? A left hand one and and tight hand one.

I'm not sure if you serious or not. I think the cost of shipping would kill the viability of making these to sell. I'd have to make a bunch to get the cost per item down to a doable amount.

I think that's why other people who've done it tend to have like 5-6 boxes sold in a set and one shipping cost for 5 or 6 makes it more reasonable.

Of course I could recreate a few other boxes and make said set. Any suggestions.

Yes he is serious! And so am I, ill take one if any gatefold box you make. Just as long as it isn't like 25 a box.

Pm me when you have them. That is if you are making a run. :-)

There are about 30 or so Mattel and INTV Corp games that weren't released as gatefolds, including all the Super Pro games, as well as notable titles like Pac Man, Dig Dug, Diner, He Man, Thunder Castle, Tower of Doom, Bump'n'Jump and many others. That's to say nothing of the third party games like those from Activision, Imagic, etc. There's certainly lots that could be made as subsets and god knows we're crazy enough here at IntellivisionAge to buy them all. :)

I would personally like a few Rocketeer boxes, although we'd have to come up with a design. Since Groovy Bee has declined interest in making a box, I'm assuming that this would fall under the category of fan-designed and fan-commissioned box for personal use. That being said, I'm sure that at least 20+ people would be interested in a box. I wish we could have Groovy Bee design the art and give his blessing on the production, then have digress manufacture them. Hmmm :ponder:

Digress, if one were to order say 5 to 10 of your boxes, would making them all different designs add to your cost significantly or would it be about the same for a buyer buying all the same design? Basically, is the shipping the big obstacle or is it doing one design, then another, then another? As you can tell, I have no idea what goes into making things :P

Yeah, I'm a big Masters of the Universe fan. I've got the box in front of me as I type. That might be a good one for sure.

As far as making mutlitple boxes. It takes a few hours to do the graphic design and clean up artwork supposing it's using the original artwork. New artwork would obviously require a new illustration which would take time as well. For instance the masters of the universe cover art is pretty good but I think I would draw up a new illustration for that. Some of the bg characters are pretty rough looking. I don't know that would have to be up for debate.

Basically once I design one box, build a prototype to make sure it all looks good . to make 2-3 or twenty becomes much easier. But do a one off of each of say 5 different titles . well 3-4 hours each of time to develop the art. You see what I mean.

It's fun though so maybe I'll make another design or two and show you . The gatefold box was only an experiment. I might even design another box completely. But I see at least that has a historical value and fits in with many titles already available.

I would personally like a few Rocketeer boxes, although we'd have to come up with a design. Since Groovy Bee has declined interest in making a box, I'm assuming that this would fall under the category of fan-designed and fan-commissioned box for personal use. That being said, I'm sure that at least 20+ people would be interested in a box. I wish we could have Groovy Bee design the art and give his blessing on the production, then have digress manufacture them. Hmmm :ponder:

Digress, if one were to order say 5 to 10 of your boxes, would making them all different designs add to your cost significantly or would it be about the same for a buyer buying all the same design? Basically, is the shipping the big obstacle or is it doing one design, then another, then another? As you can tell, I have no idea what goes into making things :P

You may want to ask Groovy for an officially sanction box. just sayin'

Well If you selll 5 to 6 of them as a set I would buy it. Any duplicates I usually give out to my friends on here. But if you print a set im willing to buy a set. Also i woulod pay seperate for shipping to to me. So if you can make me a set of 5 or six I would buy it and pay extra for the shipping. If you have a left hand and a right hand version and you sold it as a set I would keep two and gift the other to sets. lol I dont hoard. :) but I do collect. :) I also do not sell anythiing so it wont end up on ebay. If you read any of the old thread you will see I never sold anything and lots of my duplicates I just gave away.

• 2 years later...

I made just about 4-5 and they are on my shelf. never looked at it again. I started programming colecovision games and made some boxes for those games.

Oh I did design and make this one as well. I have 3 on my shelf of this one. My box was crushed when I bought it.

Super Pro Basketball

Super Pro Basketball

Super Pro Basketball

Super Pro Basketball

Super Pro Basketball

• Like 2

As it happens I did order Piggy Bank so I might make 1 gatefold box for it. Thanks for the idea. Boxes alone are not something I would make and sell though. Only if it was part of a CIB release for my own game and wouldn't 'piggy back' on selling something for another developers project without permission.

Those look nice!

*Cough* gatefold Piggy Bank *Cough* ;-)