IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - April 2nd 2013

Pixelboy

Hello ColecoVision fans! Welcome to yet another edition of the Team Pixelboy News Bulletin! :D

Alright, now it's time to come clean, so I'll just come out and say it: Quest for The Golden Chalice II - Riddle of the Sphinx was a complete, utter HOAX! There's no such game in development, and I must say I have no plans to develop - and no real interest in creating - such a game in the foreseeable future. But that doesn't mean Mystery Man isn't busy with Team Pixelboy projects this year! Allow me to reiterate yesterday's news bits, just to put yesterday's news bulletin to rest for good. Everything that follows below is completely true, with no hoax in sight! Please note that I updated the Team Pixelboy web site to reflect the information presented below.

THE NEW BATCH OF OLDER GAMES ARE FINALLY READY

March will have been a very long month for me, with the preparation of all those new copies of my older releases, in addition to several new copies of my 2012 releases. But I'm pleased to say that all these games are now resting in their boxes, and I will contact everyone registered on the Team Pixelboy reminder service this coming Wednesday (April 3rd) to let them know in a personalized manner. I guess I'll be busy packing shipping boxes for the next two weeks!

I have a couple of unreserved copies of each game in stock, so if you missed the January 31st deadline for pre-ordering these, you still have a small chance to get some of them if you act quickly. After these few extra copies are gone, all these games will be sold out forever! First come, first served!

Also, I would like to point out that I will have only a few new copies of Princess Quest to offer in the short term. I want to make more, but I'm missing the MegaCart PCBs to get the job done. Rest assured that I will produce more copies as soon as possible (as the back-order waiting list for this game is quite long) but it's going to take a while.

RELEASE SCHEDULE REWORKED

As you may have heard recently, Eduardo Mello will be releasing The Goonies and Knightmare under his own Opcode Games label later this year. This list will also include Spelunker, The Stone of Wisdom, Zanac, Yie Ar Kung-Fu 2 and Ghostbusters. So Team Pixelboy will not be publishing any of these titles, and it's up to Eduardo to decide if and when he will release them. With him concentrating on Goonies, Knightmare and Donkey Kong Arcade this year (as well as the second batch of Super Game Modules for those who missed the first pre-order period last year) you can expect the other games to be released by Opcode Games in 2014, presumably.

In the case of Stone of Wisdom and Ghostbusters (and perhaps some others) I believe it's a good thing that Eduardo will be releasing them himself, because then he will be able to use his new Super Game Cartridge PCB to implement game saves on the carts. No emulator supports the SGC format and the AtariMax SD cart doesn't support it either, so beta-testing of these games should be left to Eduardo's care.

So now the Team Pixelboy release schedule looks like this:

- Mecha-8

- Battle of Hoth

- Jewel Panic

- TwinBee

- Module Man

- Buck Rogers Super Game

- The Black Onyx

You'll certainly notice TwinBee as a new entry in my release schedule, which will be the last MSX port done by Eduardo Mello for Team Pixelboy, but there's another title in the list that you probably were not expecting: Buck Rogers Super Game! :D

BIDI-BIDI! YOU'RE THE BEST, BUCK!

Yes people, it's absolutely true! The cartridge version of the ADAM Super Game will be released next Christmas, thanks to Mystery Man. The game is almost ready for beta-testing as I write this, there's just a couple of issues with the software which Mystery Man wants to investigate before he provides me with the first official beta.

While he was working on the conversion, I asked Mystery Man to rework the controls to match those of the arcade game: Now you will be able to fire lasers with both fire buttons on the controller, and increase/decrease the game's speed via the [1] and [3] keys on the keypad. After testing this new control scheme, I can tell you that it makes the game much more fun. But purists shouldn't worry, the old control scheme will be restored if you press [*] while the game's title screen is displayed. ;)

The Hall of Fame will still be present, but all recorded scores will be lost when you turn the console off, just like with Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game.

ONE LESS MYSTERY FROM THE MYSTERY MAN

There's one small detail that was true in yesterday's hoax bulletin: Mystery Man did indeed deliver an early ROM of an upcoming game two days ago, but it wasn't Riddle of the Sphinx. Rather, it was an early build of Module Man! He is currently working on the game and it should be ready in time for next Christmas.

ONE THING I FORGOT TO MENTION...

There's one important piece of news I forgot to mention in yesterday's news bulletin: While the first batch of 100 carts of Dragon's Lair, Zaxxon Super Game, King's Valley and Thexder featured colored transparent cartridges, all new copies of these games from this point on will feature uncolored transparent carts (same as the Ghostblaster carts). This is because I couldn't get more colored casings from Moldex without paying an exagerated amount of money, so this solution allows me to continue to offer transparent casings at no extra cost, aside from Moldex's usual setup and production fees. In case you're wondering, the first 100 copies of Buck Rogers Super Game will feature transparent brown cartridges, and Mecha-8 and TwinBee will both have transparent dark blue carts (same as Thexder). After the first 100 copies of those three games, the other copies produced afterwards will use uncolored transparent cart casings.

This concludes this edition of the Team Pixelboy News Bulletin. We (once again) return you to your regular forum activities. ;)

• Like 7

NICE! Awesome work as always!

It is good to see another Super game come over from the Adam!

NIAD look away

Pretty soon everyone can get rid of their Adams because all the super games will be on cart!!!

It would be cool to get Subroc and the Super games that were never created but on NIAD's advertisements.

• Like 1

Get rid of our ADAMs??? Blasphamy!!!

NICE! Awesome work as always!

It is good to see another Super game come over from the Adam!

NIAD look away

Pretty soon everyone can get rid of their Adams because all the super games will be on cart!!!

It would be cool to get Subroc and the Super games that were never created but on NIAD's advertisements.

Don't these tape converted super game work without the Super Game Module on the ADAM? If so, no more tapes \^_^/. I was thinking of Buck Roger Super Game the other day and wondered if it was going to be converted to cartridge, this news bulletin answered my question.

@nanochess I'm eager to get Princess Quest. I'm waiting patiently for it to be available. The gameplay video and the smooth scrolling is very awesome. I will probably get Mecha-8 when it is out for sale.

• Like 1

Don't these tape converted super game work without the Super Game Module on the ADAM? If so, no more tapes \^_^/. I was thinking of Buck Roger Super Game the other day and wondered if it was going to be converted to cartridge, this news bulletin answered my question.

@nanochess I'm eager to get Princess Quest. I'm waiting patiently for it to be available. The gameplay video and the smooth scrolling is very awesome. I will probably get Mecha-8 when it is out for sale.

Yes if you have an adam you can already play the super games. So I guess you can keep your Adams until the SGM comes out then throw them away. :P

I expect that the cartridge version of Buck Rogers Super Game will work on the ADAM without the SGM just like Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game do, but I have yet to test this to make absolutely sure. I'll test this when I get the first official release candidate.

I've played Mecha-8, and believe me, it's just as impressive as Princess Quest, if not more so. :D

• Like 3

Yes if you have an adam you can already play the super games. So I guess you can keep your Adams until the SGM comes out then throw them away. :P

Naa... I think it's nice to have a back-up computer and a old school printer, just in case modern day computer crashes and ink jet printer complaining about low ink level and won't print.

@pixelboy LOL I'm definitely going to order it when it is available. :D

Thanks!

As Princess Quest was coded first for MSX, I had time to improve it for Colecovision so it has exclusive extras that make it even better than seen in video ;), besides there are some graphic candy that doesn't show in video :D

And currently I'm coding more awesome improvements for Mecha-8 :) I will work for the best possible game just until before Luc needs to start beta tests and burning ROM chips for cartridges :)

• Like 1

Yes people, it's absolutely true! The cartridge version of the ADAM Super Game will be released next Christmas, thanks to Mystery Man.

I knew that Mystery Man and yourself couldn't resist and I wouldn't doubt that some of the others get the treatment as well seeing how well received by the CV community that they have been. As I stated before and I will continue to state, they are all guaranteed to be excellent sellers for you due to the simple fact that they are Coleco created games and having all the extra bells and whistles along with added levels over their standard ColecoVision cartridge version is just the icing on the cake. While some may not believe me on this point, I still think there would be plenty of room for conversions of the DK and DK Jr. SuperGames even with Opcode's DKA on the horizon and stated plans to work his magic with a DK Jr. Arcade in the future... but the SubRoc Super Game would be a wiser next choice.

I guess I better contact "The Golden Ax" to let him know the good news as well as to cancel that "Box of Crap" that he was "assembling" one day at a time for the last couple months. hey Ax, you can use that "stuff" for fertilizer around the house now. :ponder:

Alright, now it's time to come clean, so I'll just come out and say it: Quest for The Golden Chalice II - Riddle of the Sphinx was a complete, utter HOAX!

The best one yet! :thumbsup:

NIAD look away... Pretty soon everyone can get rid of their Adams because all the super games will be on cart!!!

Your just jealous that I've been able to play PixelBoy's Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game for the last couple months. Well actually, that doesn't make much sense since I've been able to play them for the last 29 years.

You can't fool me either, I see you drive by my house on Thursday nights when we put out the garbage for Friday's collection. I even saw you get out of the car once to check inside the garbage can! Give up, it's not gonna happen and give in to my will... buy an ADAM already! I have a nice one all cleaned up and ready for you. I can even hear it calling your name... DAN, DAN, DDDAAANNN. :-D

BTW Dan, your out and Kiwi is my new best buddy around here. ;)

By the way, for all those concerned, I had some problems with my computer tonight (a Norton Anti-Virus problem which took a while to fix) so I haven't been able to get started on replying to all the customer to whom I sent reminder service e-mails this morning. I will reply to a few of these e-mails tonight before going to bed, but I'll be replying to most of them tomorrow evening, Sorry for the delay. :(

By the way, for all those concerned, I had some problems with my computer tonight (a Norton Anti-Virus problem which took a while to fix) so I haven't been able to get started on replying to all the customer to whom I sent reminder service e-mails this morning. I will reply to a few of these e-mails tonight before going to bed, but I'll be replying to most of them tomorrow evening, Sorry for the delay. :(

I see the april fool virus went well! Excellent! :D :P

.... Kidding, those things always $ucks!

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

I see the april fool virus went well! Excellent! :D :P

.... Kidding, those things always $ucks!

Some other stuff came up, so I didn't get a chance to reply to a single customer tonight. Oh well, it's too late now so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Luc on your website you have Utopia. Any progress on that one?

Nope. That's a long-term project.

Edited by Pixelboy