IGNORED

APT Hard Disk Preparation and Utilities

Might have something to test by Sunday:

post-21964-0-80804200-1389387964_thumb.png

Editing the descriptions will incur a re-flash of the relevant ROM sector; i.e. the existing data will be cached and re-flashed to the chip. When a new BIOS ROM is loaded, the existing descriptions will therefore persist (they'll be merged into the new ROM data).

This is all Ultimate 1MB so far: Incognito will be handled once Ultimate is working correctly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, yesterday I've tried fdisk v4.2 with my IDE+2, now even though I have valid partitions in my CF card (a FAT16 and a APT partition with drive numbers D8: and D3: respectively) when I boot I am getting device timeout errors (138) on my IDE+2 drives. When I restart FDISK and take a look at my partitions I can't see anything obviously wrong but yet no matter how many times I repeat the partioning I end up with the same result. I am not sure if this has anything to do with FDISK but I even flushed the BIOS thinking it may be a hardware related problem, still the same result.

Now let me tell you what exactly happened. Yesterday the device was working fine on my 800XL with U1MB and IDE+2 (both on the same machine at the same time), what I noticed though if both upgrades had high-speed turned ON, my computer was locking up whenever I tried to access SIO drives (PBI drives were OK). So I turned ultraspeed OFF in IDE+2 setup screen and SIO drives started to work, then I wanted to try your new release of FISK v4.2 (at that point my CF card was portioned with FDISK4 Beta 9). The problems started after I ran new FDISK, honestly I don't remember if I initialized the CF card the first time I used the new FDISK or simply updated existing partition tables, however after I've seen that I am getting error 138 the card has been reinitialized several times with new partition tables on it but error 138 did not go away no matter what I did.

I also tried to move IDE+2 to my 130XE with a built-in SIO2PC but no other upgrades on it, same results there too (error 138). I examined the partitions on the CF card with my Windows laptop and they are there and the FAT16 is accessible by Windows.

Here's a video and a snapshot of my IDE+2 settings, i hope they may help.

post-15627-0-78877400-1390231043_thumb.jpg post-15627-0-92949900-1390231057_thumb.png post-15627-0-56858300-1390232897_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

You need an IDE Plus 2.0 BIOS update from Konrad. PM him and I'm sure he'll oblige. The latest FDISK sets a flag in the APT header which is incompatible with the current IDE Plus 2.0 BIOS. The flag is discussed at length earlier in this thread, and I warned IDE Plus users that they need to DISABLE the Global MetaData Flag in APT->Properties until the updated BIOS is released.

So: either turn off the global metadata flag for the moment, or ask KMK if he'll send you an intermediate BIOS update. :)

You need an IDE Plus 2.0 BIOS update from Konrad. PM him and I'm sure he'll oblige. The latest FDISK sets a flag in the APT header which is incompatible with the current IDE Plus 2.0 BIOS. The flag is discussed at length earlier in this thread, and I warned IDE Plus users that they need to DISABLE the Global MetaData Flag in APT->Properties until the updated BIOS is released.

So: either turn off the global metadata flag for the moment, or ask KMK if he'll send you an intermediate BIOS update. :)

Ooops! must have missed that bit of information, thanks a lot, I will turn the metadata flag off and try it again.

Ok, I've done the partitioning all over again and now APT partition is OK and I can access D3:, however the FAT16 partition (with drive-id D8:) is still giving me error 138, do I also need a new version of FATFS.SYS?

Ok, sorry for the delay. I may as well release what I have now, as it seems that the updated APT support is both working (I heard no complaints on it from the testers), and that it is really necessary, as the 1.2 became outdated.

So, IDE+ BIOS v.1.3 below. It is an ARC file renamed ZIP, as usual. NEWS.TXT contains a list of changes. As usual, not everything was done what was requested - apologies! - but time urges. I hope that the remaining fixes will come into a next version.

bios1801.zip

• Like 4

Ok, sorry for the delay. I may as well release what I have now, as it seems that the updated APT support is both working (I heard no complaints on it from the testers), and that it is really necessary, as the 1.2 became outdated.

So, IDE+ BIOS v.1.3 below. It is an ARC file renamed ZIP, as usual. NEWS.TXT contains a list of changes. As usual, not everything was done what was requested - apologies! - but time urges. I hope that the remaining fixes will come into a next version.

Conrad, I am getting archive damaged or corrupt error. Tried downloading a few times

How about PARTINFO.COM?, it does not display anything, just makes a disk polling noise.

Likewise: bin it and use Konrad's DISKINFO.COM.

BTW: it should be implied that all the latest tools from this side of things will soon find their way into a cohesive package hosted on my website. Naturally it's taken a long time to reach this stage, but hopefully people are appreciative of the rather huge amount of R&D which has gone on during the last couple of years.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

Likewise: bin it and use Konrad's DISKINFO.COM.

BTW: it should be implied that all the latest tools from this side of things will soon find their way into a cohesive package hosted on my website. Naturally it's taken a long time to reach this stage, but hopefully people are appreciative of the rather huge amount of R&D which has gone on during the last couple of years.

Last couple of years - wow, time does fly. The past few years have been the most active Atari times I have experienced since the early 80s - it's been great fun.

• Like 1

Last couple of years - wow, time does fly. The past few years have been the most active Atari times I have experienced since the early 80s - it's been great fun.

Yeah, it might be more actually: I think I wrote the first version of FDISK for the SDX MyIDE driver in September 2010. Anyway, last November it was five years since my return to this hobby, and these have been among the busiest, most creative, and most fun five years of my life. :)

• Like 1

Another pretty rough test version, this time of the heavily revised MATR:

matr.xex

Since this basically duplicates the ATR mounting functionality of the XEX loader (without the ability to load XEX files), I've added some experimental support for dynamic APT partition mounting via the same UI. Once you've chosen the device, next select the desired partition type (FAT or APT), and depending on the selection you'll either get a list of disk images in the FAT or a list of named (and only the named) APT partitions on the disk. You can assign and remove drive numbers at will, boot ATRs, or simply drop back to DOS and work with the ATRs or partitions.

Note that several things don't work (APT partition properties and Unmount all drives to name but two), but it shouldn't take long to get the application into an acceptable state. The functionality it provides will probably become slightly deprecated once we get SDX access to FAT32 partitions (since we already have access to FAT16 partitions, I provided a simple demo tool which mounts ATRs with Ultimate/Incognito direct from the command line here), but for now it may prove useful to some.

Apologies for the mandatory device selection dialogue at the start: it's unlikely that more than one ATR-capable device would be connected at any one time, and I'll eventually skip the manual device selection if only a single APT device is detected. It proved useful during development, however. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Do your APT partitions have names? If not, they won't show up in the APT list (I mentioned this in the posting above). Losing C: is odd... clearly it was unmounted somehow. Try with named partitions and see if they show up, like this:

post-21964-0-34155600-1390602428_thumb.png

Any issues with the FAT directory and ATRs?