IGNORED

8K Supercart

Tempest

So I've finally gotten my hands on an 8K Supercart and I'm wondering what I can do with it. I know two of the Infocom games needed it (Leather Goddesses and Wishbringer I believe), but is that it's only use? As far as I can tell it's like an 8K Mini-Memory with EA included. Can I save a cartridge or disk game to it and run it directly from the Supercart?

I've been using it for my CRPG development. I need that extra 8k. :)

It's pretty easy to utilize in assembly language; the memory starts at >6000. I've mainly used it for data storage, but there's nothing stopping you from AORG'ing in there to put code as well.

There are ways you can load software into that 8k and map it so you can load it from the cartridge menu option. I think it was detailed in a MICROPendium article, someone here should be able to offer more details.

By the way, those cartridges are NOT easy to find, they don't show up on eBay nearly at all. Good move getting one!

Adamantyr

I've been using it for my CRPG development. I need that extra 8k. :)

It's pretty easy to utilize in assembly language; the memory starts at >6000. I've mainly used it for data storage, but there's nothing stopping you from AORG'ing in there to put code as well.

There are ways you can load software into that 8k and map it so you can load it from the cartridge menu option. I think it was detailed in a MICROPendium article, someone here should be able to offer more details.

By the way, those cartridges are NOT easy to find, they don't show up on eBay nearly at all. Good move getting one!

Adamantyr

So is that 8K on top of the 32K from my PEB? Do I have an extra 40K now?

I got mine from a member here. I don't see them on ebay, but they don't look that difficult to make as long as you have some electronics skills (which I don't unfortunately).

So I assume whatever I put in the 8K needs to be something that can be run from EA right? I can put an assembly language disk game in there but not a cartridge rom right?

Yes, it's an additional 8k to the 32k you have in the expansion.

Most cartridge games DO run from the EA cart. The sole exceptions are most of Texas Instruments original software titles, which were stored in GROM chips.

Adamantyr

So I could say put that Robotron prototype rom onto this cart and run it on my TI? That would be nice. I need to see how you go about doing that.

So I could say put that Robotron prototype rom onto this cart and run it on my TI? That would be nice. I need to see how you go about doing that.

It should be possible, it depends on if the ROM was 8k. Texas Instruments actually forced 3rd party developers to stick to the 8k limit, which was a real snag in their efforts to secure a broader base of software titles.

if it's bigger than 8k, then you'd have to have a cartridge with banks of 8k that are switchable. The SuperSpace II cartridge did this.

Adamantyr

Bummer. That would explain why it wasn't released... The lack of open-ended memory access in the TI-99'4a's initial architecture was a huge problem for development.

It's possible to get that running in the 32k expansion off of disk, though. All that would need to be done is to update the memory references so it loads into the 32k Expansion instead.

Adamantyr

It's possible to get that running in the 32k expansion off of disk, though. All that would need to be done is to update the memory references so it loads into the 32k Expansion instead.

People have asked, but no one seems to want to hack it. I would if I had the skills. :)

"Possible" and "straight forward" are two different things. :)

I did the memory remap of Espial to work in 32k instead of DSR space - that involved remapping just one 8k bank. I did it by modifying Classic99 to automatically modify the code each time an "incorrect" memory access was detected. Could do the same thing again, but the problem with this approach is that you run the risk of missing areas. If you don't exercise /all/ the code, parts may not be patched.

There's a smaller further complication about going from bank switched to non-bank switched, but Robotron at least kept the bank switch code all in one place. (I spent some time with it to implement a dual-joystick hack).

Ultimately, it's rather easy now to make a Robotron cartridge, using the supplies that Jon and Matthew provided, so the value of spending an evening to make it run from 32k RAM space instead feels low. (Although I do admit that it appears new stock is not currently available...?)

Ultimately, it's rather easy now to make a Robotron cartridge, using the supplies that Jon and Matthew provided, so the value of spending an evening to make it run from 32k RAM space instead feels low. (Although I do admit that it appears new stock is not currently available...?)

Pretty please? :)

I really want to be able to play all these prototype games that haven't been converted to disk format so I can use them with my CF7. Either that or someone needs to make a TI-99 SD cart!

[/font][/color]

**Licking my lips!!!

Why can't someone do this? Is it lack of interest or is it something to do with the way memory can be accessed from the cartridge port (can't the TI only address 8K or something like that unless you use the expansion port?)

Overall it's probably lack of interest. ;) Jon's multicarts are big enough for most people. ;)

Memory at the cartridge port - all of GROM space is available, and only 8k of cartridge space is available. But there are a few standard bank switching schemes for cartridge space that are easily emulated.

Owen, did you see this yet?

I'm probably going to see if we can just make some 74LS378 boards... I can't get that darn GAL to work properly on the alternate board. It was funny how the GAL banking was random on two identically programmed boards. I don't have much test equipment to monitor the outputs to determine what's wrong, but I can tell you the 74LS378 version works well. :)

• Like 1

So the game still had bugs in it? Anything in particular? I know it was a prototype, but I assumed it was complete.

Not even close. It's single-player only (the 'press enter to start' doesn't even work, it's press fire to start). The real game crashes too, although my E/A port above is worse, I clearly missed some stuff. I included instructions to anyone who wants to continue the port.