IGNORED

Using Sega Controllers with ColecoVision

boxpressed

I just picked up a Sega Genesis Arcade Power Stick (three-button model) to use with one-button ColecoVision games. I'm a little paranoid about blowing out the octal buffer IC on the CV because I've done it about three times on different CVs. Any danger with using Sega controllers (either Genesis or SMS) on CV?

Also, does the two-button Champ adapter allow use of two buttons with Sega controllers or only Atari 7800 controllers? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think it is much more likely to blow the controller chips in the winter months in cold climates due to low humidity. Static electricity common when humidity levels are low. Avoid sitting the the system on carpet or a sofa which is likely to build static. Turning off the power and unplugging the power cord before swapping controllers is also probably a good idea. 2600, Genesis, Wico controllers and Champ adapters should not be an issue.

Thanks, Yurkie. I'm pretty careful unplugging my Yurkievision when swapping controllers.

Anyone with a two-button Champ adapter that can chime in on the other question?

Only 1 button will work.... Directional pad work just fine

Good to play one button games (ie. Cosmic Avenger)

But you will not be able to play 2 buttons games

Anyone with a two-button Champ adapter that can chime in on the other question?

The Champ Adapter (two button compatible version) will not make any difference with this Sega controller, Atari 7800 controller or for that matter any other controller made for a different videogame system... it's how the controller is wired. The only controllers that are guaranteed to have two functioning firebuttons are those made for the ColecoVision.

Good to play one button games (ie. Cosmic Avenger)

Cosmic Avenger is a two button game, one button fires your front gun and the second button drops bombs! :roll:

• Like 1

The Champ Adapter (two button compatible version) will not make any difference with this Sega controller, Atari 7800 controller or for that matter any other controller made for a different videogame system... it's how the controller is wired. The only controllers that are guaranteed to have two functioning firebuttons are those made for the ColecoVision.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but if this is true, just what is the two-button version of the adapter "adapting" then? Why would you need it if the only controllers that work with it are the ones made for ColecoVision? You would just plug that controller directly into the ColecoVision.

Btw: I do have a champ adaptor if you are looking for one ;)

Thanks, J-F. I have the one-button version, but I'd be interested in the two-button. However, now I'm confused about what the two-button version is good for if it does not allow two independent buttons when using a 7800 controller.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but if this is true, just what is the two-button version of the adapter "adapting" then? Why would you need it if the only controllers that work with it are the ones made for ColecoVision? You would just plug that controller directly into the ColecoVision.

There are 3rd Party controller such as the ProStick and Mini Champ that offer two independent firebuttons and are completely compatible with the CV & ADAM and they were marketed as being CV compatible. You can use them as is, but would still need a controller with a keypad plugged into the other controller port to make skill level selections, etc. If you used one of these controllers with the 1-firebutton compatible Champ Keypad, then only one of the firebuttons would function, but if you had the 2-firebutton compatible Champ Keypad... then everything would work properly.

Champ Electronics really messed up by releasing the 1-firebutton compatible version of the Champ Keypad.

As far as other 3rd party controllers that offer two independent firebuttons, it's hit or miss if they are WIRED properly to be compatible with the ColecoVision. The Atari 7800 controller has one of the firebuttons wired properly to the DB9 connector, but the other is not and one would have to open the DB9 connector up and rewire this one wire... I assume that it's as easy as that.

BTW, here are some pics and be aware that Champ also released a version of the Mini Champ Joystick that is only one firebutton compatible. The base on that one is sold black whereas the CV version's base is red as can be seen in the picture.

post-25956-0-26817700-1365546571.jpg

post-25956-0-30377500-1365546581_thumb.jpg

Edited by NIAD

There are 3rd Party controller such as the ProStick and Mini Champ that offer two independent firebuttons and are completely compatible with the CV & ADAM and they were marketed as being CV compatible. You can use them as is, but would still need a controller with a keypad plugged into the other controller port to make skill level selections, etc. If you used one of these controllers with the 1-firebutton compatible Champ Keypad, then only one of the firebuttons would function, but if you had the 2-firebutton compatible Champ Keypad... then everything would work properly.

Champ Electronics really messed up by releasing the 1-firebutton compatible version of the Champ Keypad.

As far as other 3rd party controllers that offer two independent firebuttons, it's hit or miss if they are WIRED properly to be compatible with the ColecoVision. The Atari 7800 controller has one of the firebuttons wired properly to the DB9 connector, but the other is not and one would have to open the DB9 connector up and rewire this one wire... I assume that it's as easy as that.

BTW, here are some pics and be aware that Champ also released a version of the Mini Champ Joystick that is only one firebutton compatible. The base on that one is sold black whereas the CV version's base is red as can be seen in the picture.

Thank you for elaborating. I don't know where I got the idea that the two-button Champ adaptor would allow use of two independent fire buttons from a 7800 controller. It seems as though there is such a great market for some kind of adapter that would allow Sega and 7800 controllers to have two-button functionality on the CV. I wish someone would take on this project!

Champ probably released the 1 button keypads before the ColecoVision came out and it was intended for use with the Atari 2600

Since we're on this. I'd like to know the other side.

Which controllers are known to cause damage to the ColecoVision?

I don't think there are any. The only real problem I can see with plugging in any controller with a DB9 plug would be if the controller was stored improperly and had internal shorts. I think ESD (electro static discharge) is the real concern.

I distinctly remember testing a 7800 joypad (the one that vaguely looks like an NES joypad) and I seem to remember both fire buttons working properly, just like on a stock CV controller... So such a 7800 joypad doesn't work with a Champ Adaptor? :?

Hmm ... I thought I had the one-button adapter because the buttons on the 7800 Proline weren't mapped, but based on NIAD's info, I'd need a Champ joystick or a Prostick to know for sure. It would surprise me if the pad were wired differently from the Proline.

It seems as though there is such a great market for some kind of adapter that would allow Sega and 7800 controllers to have two-button functionality on the CV. I wish someone would take on this project!

You could pad hack the Genesis for CV use, add some diodes for common kepad button use, like "1" and "*".

My 7800 controller works on CV with two buttons. But this is a home made PCB with two resistors, but pretty much a copy of the Atari 7800 controller.

CV adapters are limited due to lack of +5 on controller ports.

You could pad hack the Genesis for CV use, add some diodes for common kepad button use, like "1" and "*".

My 7800 controller works on CV with two buttons. But this is a home made PCB with two resistors, but pretty much a copy of the Atari 7800 controller.

CV adapters are limited due to lack of +5 on controller ports.

I wish I had the skills to hack a 7800 or Sega controller to work on the CV. Whoever buys a bunch of Genesis Arcade Power Sticks for $20 apiece could probably sell them for $50 apiece if they were modded for CV.

Edited by boxpressed

I wish I had the skills to hack a 7800 or Sega controller to work on the CV. Whoever buys a bunch of Genesis Arcade Power Sticks for $20 apiece could probably sell them for $50 apiece if they were modded for CV.

I just bought one of these and will see what it takes to add CV to it. Do you want two buttons and keypad, or are you ok with button C = Keypad 1 and start button = keypad * with no keypad

or do you want 4 buttons like Super action controller?

CV would not offer "Mega fire" like Genesis, is this ok?

Does controller have to maintain Genesis compatibility?

Edited by grips03

Champ probably released the 1 button keypads before the ColecoVision came out and it was intended for use with the Atari 2600

That could be a strong possibility, but it's odd that I never seen anyone mentioning using the Champ Keypad (1 button variety) on an Atari VCS/2600 compatible system or even with the Coleco Expansion Module #1. If anyone wants to test this out and report back, it would be interesting to know... I assume a game like Star Raiders would have to be the test cart.

If this was Champ Electronics thought process, it would make sense to use the same plastic housing so as to save money, but then they would have had to clearly differentiate the two versions just like they did with the Mini Champ Joystick by using different color bases and different colored base firebuttons. Also, the box/packaging would have to state clearly what system the Champ Keypad was for and the only two boxes/packages that I have even seen state clearly for use with the ColecoVision and CV/ADAM... there is no mention of compatibility with the Atari 2600 or compatibles except that you can use A2600 controllers with the keypad. See pics below.

I have acquired both versions in the same blue box, so my thinking is that Champ simply messed up with the first (1 button compatile) version and corrected their error with the second version (2 button compatile) without making it known to the masses.

post-25956-0-12406300-1365565126_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-07773700-1365565132_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-34469100-1365565153_thumb.jpg

• Like 3