IGNORED

Nintendo Shutting Down Wii Online Services

Mendon

Nintendo announced that they are shutting down online services for the Wii in June. Gone will be weather, news, Everybody Votes, Nintendo Channel and the "Create Mii" (I can't remember the actual name...LOL) channel. Only thing left will be the Wii Shop channel to sell a few digital games.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-shutting-down-wii-online-services-in-june-251414.phtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The only real surprise to me is that the Wii online services lasted this long.

Will WiFi play still be available? It will be a sad day when the WiFi service for Mario Kart goes down.

Not sure as the article I linked to only mentioned that "data exchange in certain games" will be eliminated. I have no idea if this data exchange means online gaming like Mario Kart or Call of Duty.

So it appears the stuff that Nintendo will shut down is minor. But it makes me wonder if the Virtual Console and WiiWare will ever suffer the same fate. Right now it's not a problem because all VC and WiiWare games can be migrated to the Wii U, but will the day ever come where such games as Mega Man 9 or La-Mulana will fall into permanent oblivion?

When Wii consoles and related products continue to be available and sold, this seems too soon. But at least it doesn't look like anything anyone actually uses to any significant degree will be affected here.

Kind of sad that the Nintendo Channel is going though. Even though I don't think the statistics were perfectly accurate (Some games I've played have never appeared), I thought it was neat that it tracked time played. And I did watch the occasional video. The other stuff I think I tried once when the console was first hooked up.

Isn't the Everybody Votes Channel the same thing as the Mii Contest Channel where you submitted a Mii for contest with people voting on winners? The article makes it sound like they are two different channels. And what's the "Today's Accomplishment" message board?

That's not what it says as of now.

"Nintendo did point out that in Japan, other services like the Wii Shop Channel and the automatic "Today's Accomplishments" services on the Wii Message Board will continue. Nintendo's Japanese headquarters did not say how this would impact regions outside the country."

Edited by Atariboy

Isn't the Everybody Votes Channel the same thing as the Mii Contest Channel where you submitted a Mii for contest with people voting on winners? The article makes it sound like they are two different channels.

The Everybody Voters Channel was a different channel. It would have questions and you could vote and at the end of the week it worked out the total votes. You could also predict what you though would get the highest votes. It was interesting but once I needed space and moved it to the SD card I never used it anymore.

I played a game of Mario Kart on the original Nintendo DS over the internet last night. I didn't expect it to still work because the game was released in 2005 and the 3DS has it's own Mario Kart game. I think this is a good sign that online play to the Wii will keep working if they are supporting the DS still.