IGNORED

Super Game Module second run

opcode

great news for all coleco fan that dont own a sgm or are wating for ed to come back again to order one

do you want more chalenge ??? since you will alredy in coding you could add a port to connect the ntt data or famicom controller that way you will save collectorvision a shit load of $$$ they will not have to buy a mold for those controller?

you can do it !!!

• Like 1

(I was made aware of this thread via a PM -- thanks!)

Real life got *very* busy (I'm an engineer at a large fruit company) and I ended up being in China for most of last year.

The project was on hold for the duration, and I sort of figured that nobody was interested anymore because Eduardo was back and shipping product.

Having just logged into AtariAge for the first time in half a year, I see that's not the case.

So ...

... I'll reactivate the project as time permits over Q1 -- I have a couple of real-life things on my plate, but I should finish what I stated. I don't have anything worth publishing at the moment, as I repurposed the breadboard for a work project a few months back.

For those that are impatient and capable of building your own, the RAM portion is identical to the ADAM expansion module and the audio interface was taken directly from a (Spectravideo?) MSX schematic, with the address changed.

The ATMega can be replaced with a couple of flip-flops if you're interested in making your clone compatible with both the ColecoVision and the ADAM. I wouldn't bother, though ... for a Colecovision, wire it in for the full 32k RAM, use a flip-flop to toggle the ROM/RAM at 0000, and unconditionally map in the sound chip. For an ADAM, just map in the sound chip -- that's only three chips, plus a small audio amp.

There's nothing proprietary about the SGM, it's all off-the-shelf parts, and the design theory was borrowed (read: stolen) from prior art.

On a personal note: sorry for not checking in on this. Once Eduardo returned and started throwing tantrums about the mere possiblity of replicating his "proprietary" design, I figured that life was too short to bother with this scene and drama.

• Like 5

If Eduardo doesn't come through within the next half-year or so (and if I get it working), I'll be able to supply these as fully assembled PCBs (no shell, though, and of course no box/manual) for no more than $36 plus about $9 shipping (pretty much worldwide).

Looks like we should start the search for the undiscovered motherload of ADAM AutoDialers so that they can be repurposed for your needs. For those that may not be in the know, the ADAM AutoDialer shell was the inspiration for the SGM shell.

5-11under... if you do move ahead and develop your own expansion module, would you consider working together with the developers of the CV Keyboard module to see if a single, all-in-one solution can be made?

Looks like we should start the search for the undiscovered motherload of ADAM AutoDialers so that they can be repurposed for your needs. For those that may not be in the know, the ADAM AutoDialer shell was the inspiration for the SGM shell.

5-11under... if you do move ahead and develop your own expansion module, would you consider working together with the developers of the CV Keyboard module to see if a single, all-in-one solution can be made?

A motherload of autodialers is quite unlikely, unfortunately. Perhaps there's a small box that could be hacked to at least cover the PCB for those who would need it to look good. Some sort of stand to keep it level with the console would be good, too. We'll see what time brings.

I've thought about adding keyboard capability, but haven't communicated anything with any of the creators of that (yet). Edit: that also complicates things a fair bit, making it a completely different project (or at least a different goal and price point).

Edited by 5-11under

That was wyleyc. See this page: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/203362-super-game-module-now-available-for-order/page-58

Just a couple of hours ago I started laying out a PCB to make a compatible version. All parts are sourced and readily available. The specs are also readily available. I have a few more connections to think about before routing... then it's waiting about a month for my next PCB batch to be ordered/received, then spend some time doing some CPLD programming (as time permits).

If Eduardo doesn't come through within the next half-year or so (and if I get it working), I'll be able to supply these as fully assembled PCBs (no shell, though, and of course no box/manual) for no more than $36 plus about $9 shipping (pretty much worldwide).

This would be great. The box and case that come with opcodes sgm are nice but more than anything I just want to be able to play already released and future sgm games.

• Like 1

I hope Wyleyc is able to come through, will buy one from him :) unfortunately its been over 45 days since I paid for my SGM, Paypal will not do anything about it. So keep that in mind if you use paypal and order a SGM, you only have 45 days to dispute the payment for a refund.

Next stop if I dont hear back is this website - http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

going this long with no updates is concerning, seeing others still waiting after 2 years is really concerning.

A motherload of autodialers is quite unlikely, unfortunately. Perhaps there's a small box that could be hacked to at least cover the PCB for those who would need it to look good. Some sort of stand to keep it level with the console would be good, too. We'll see what time brings.

I've thought about adding keyboard capability, but haven't communicated anything with any of the creators of that (yet). Edit: that also complicates things a fair bit, making it a completely different project (or at least a different goal and price point).

yes but that give another world of possibilities for games

and now its no more sgm its a keboard game expension so ed dont have to be piss off ?

Edited by chart45

Eduardo once told me something about the MSX sound chip offering extra lines, and at one point, Eduardo wanted to include a parallel port to the SGM. Just wanted to mention that. :)

Eduardo once told me something about the MSX sound chip offering extra lines, and at one point, Eduardo wanted to include a parallel port to the SGM. Just wanted to mention that. :)

There are two 8 bit ports that could be used... but do I really want to make something more complicated than the SGM that has no immediate purpose... probably not?

There are two 8 bit ports that could be used... but do I really want to make something more complicated than the SGM that has no immediate purpose... probably not?

Well, if I may voice my opinion on the matter, you should just do a RAM expansion and ditch the MSX sound chip. Just make sure the RAM is configured like the ADAM's, and the device will be automatically compatible with all the Team Pixelboy Super Game cartridges (Dragon's Lair, Zaxxon Super Game, Buck Rogers Super Game and SubRoc Super Game).

Such a simplified add-on would be much cheaper to manufacture, and some homebrewers who may only be interested in the extra RAM and not the MSX sound chip could make games that are compatible with both the SGM and your RAM-only device. And because it's a cheaper alternative, people could buy your add-on and not feel too bad about purchasing a SGM later.

Just my two cents. :)

EDIT: My knowledge of 3D printing is somewhat lacking, but couldn't a simple plastic casing be done for this proposed add-on using a 3D printer? It's mostly a question of the type of plastic used versus the heat generated by the electronics inside. I suppose air vents could be included for heat dissipation...

Well, if I may voice my opinion on the matter, you should just do a RAM expansion and ditch the MSX sound chip. Just make sure the RAM is configured like the ADAM's, and the device will be automatically compatible with all the Team Pixelboy Super Game cartridges (Dragon's Lair, Zaxxon Super Game, Buck Rogers Super Game and SubRoc Super Game).

Such a simplified add-on would be much cheaper to manufacture, and some homebrewers who may only be interested in the extra RAM and not the MSX sound chip could make games that are compatible with both the SGM and your RAM-only device. And because it's a cheaper alternative, people could buy your add-on and not feel too bad about purchasing a SGM later.

EDIT: My knowledge of 3D printing is somewhat lacking, but couldn't a simple plastic casing be done for this proposed add-on using a 3D printer? It's mostly a question of the type of plastic used versus the heat generated by the electronics inside. I suppose air vents could be included for heat dissipation...

The sound chip doesn't really add too much to the cost. The part is $3, and it takes up about 30% of the PCB space. If I'm going through the effort of making 1/2 an SGM, I might as well make the whole thing, especially since the quantities would be relatively low (or possibly just one, if Eduardo finally ships these things).

3D printing, or epoxy resin molding are all options that would work with varying levels of acceptability. Heat dissipation isn't an issue.

I have said 3d printer in front of me. I'd be willing to make a prototype case when the time came and the pcb with all fitted chips was finalized. I've also been making molds , although not successfully so far I'm getting close and should be able to make a custom case that would work.

3d printing is too rough looking but is good for prototypes and can be used to perfect the design before making the real mold.

nothing wrong with a competing product. I would buy both. Yeah put the sound chip in too. No reason to leave it out.

Just sayin..

The sound chip doesn't really add too much to the cost. The part is $3, and it takes up about 30% of the PCB space. If I'm going through the effort of making 1/2 an SGM, I might as well make the whole thing, especially since the quantities would be relatively low (or possibly just one, if Eduardo finally ships these things).

3D printing, or epoxy resin molding are all options that would work with varying levels of acceptability. Heat dissipation isn't an issue.

i ll buy 1 or 2 for sure and i own 2 sgm and waiting 1 from the 2 run so i think people will buy them to own the module cause we are what we are and when something new come out for the coleco we want it... and under 40$ its not a big investment to own cool stuff made by member here....

Or go all the way, and add full MSX support. HA ha.

I started reading about the SGM just about a year ago and found I had just missed the first run, now I come back to find out about more problems.

Disappointing that Eduardo is not responding/shipping to people that already paid. I'd buy one right now If I could be assured it would ship. I'm sure he has his own problems but I think a update now and again would keep people less mad.

Well, here's to hoping he gets it together.

I agree TitleSeventeen. It's very disheartening to read these posts and I didn't even order one. When I joined this forum, we were lamenting how Eduardo had disappeared; we later found he was in Brazil having "personal problems" I believe. I thought it might be impossible to get a SGM from Opcode so I tracked one down on eBay for around $200USD. That's the kind of purchase I usually end up regretting but so far I have no regrets. Even when Eduardo miraculously reappeared and reassured everyone the game was still on. But not much happened... the only activity we saw were some auctions for a few "limited edition" clear case SGMs which went for an arm and a leg per unit, and then like a thief in the night he disappeared once again. This time we don't even know where he is - and with the contacts that Eduardo has, there really is no excuse not to at least to provide a quick update in consideration of those who have long ago parted with their cash for one of his products. Absolutely not a good way to do business.

Deep down I think he has his reasons for being MIA (ex-wives can be both emotionally and financially draining, if that's got anything to do with it) but is just not aware of how awful it really looks. I can't convince myself he's dishonest, just terribly irresponsible. It is a crying shame of epic proportions because Opcode products are quite something else, really.

• Like 1

I won't buy anything from Eduardo anymore what ever he could produce due to his behavior.

I did not ordered the SGM because from start i had the feeling the project was too ambitious for Eduardo alone, and being in France i was 100% sure i could not have the 'patched' SGM in reasonable time. In addition the SGM without Donkey Kong arcade is for me not interesting at all. None of the game released that support the SGM today is a must have for me. (having a large MSX collection and can play other title on ADAM, the interrest is very limited to no say null for me).

But if 5-11under produce something, i will buy it in a blink , and even if i can find time i'll try to develop one game for that module. Something original that really make use of additionnal resource .

And it would be very great if doable , to add to that module a Speech Synth Chip :)

• Like 1

what about AtariVox+. Could this be used? Same port type.

I won't buy anything from Eduardo anymore what ever he could produce due to his behavior.

I did not ordered the SGM because from start i had the feeling the project was too ambitious for Eduardo alone, and being in France i was 100% sure i could not have the 'patched' SGM in reasonable time. In addition the SGM without Donkey Kong arcade is for me not interesting at all. None of the game released that support the SGM today is a must have for me. (having a large MSX collection and can play other title on ADAM, the interrest is very limited to no say null for me).

But if 5-11under produce something, i will buy it in a blink , and even if i can find time i'll try to develop one game for that module. Something original that really make use of additionnal resource .

And it would be very great if doable , to add to that module a Speech Synth Chip :)

What about adding something similar to the Intellivoice so programmers can off-load speech /sound samples playing to the SGM?

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/voice_tech.html#synthtag

Edited by Tarzilla

Long time Colecovision gamer since 1982 but new to the "Homebrew" scene. Just went to purchase Galaga and saw that it required the SGM and went looking for it and it brought me to this thread where I see that this Eduardo took a lot of peoples' money and ran. It's a real shame to see this happen as I have seen this kind of thing happen before on so many other forums. It really makes me hesitant to pre-order anything that requires payment upfront for goods or services not yet deliverable. Paypal has 180 days to file a claim and some have been waiting over 2 years with no chance of getting their money back. I really hope someone makes the SGM available again for the retro gaming community but I wouldn't pay for anything until they are already available for shipping or with a low minimum deposit like $10 or something financially fairly reasonable.

• Like 1

Long time Colecovision gamer since 1982 but new to the "Homebrew" scene. Just went to purchase Galaga and saw that it required the SGM and went looking for it and it brought me to this thread where I see that this Eduardo took a lot of peoples' money and ran. It's a real shame to see this happen as I have seen this kind of thing happen before on so many other forums. It really makes me hesitant to pre-order anything that requires payment upfront for goods or services not yet deliverable. Paypal has 180 days to file a claim and some have been waiting over 2 years with no chance of getting their money back. I really hope someone makes the SGM available again for the retro gaming community but I wouldn't pay for anything until they are already available for shipping or with a low minimum deposit like $10 or something financially fairly reasonable.

It's 45 days for Paypal...I tried.