IGNORED

Overrated games. EXPOSED!

LightestEnd

One thing I will say in defense of the 2600 version of Atlantis: it was the subject of a documentary called "All In The Game", which was filmed inside of Imagic during the development of Atlantis (see here and here). I only wish that there had been more like it; I enjoy the documentary even more than the game.

I agree with the pitfall games but I never really was big on multi-screen platform games.

I'll also add one that may be considered blasphemy - River Raid

Perhaps if there was more randomness in the enemies I could see the appeal but the replay value is pretty much zero for me. Don't get me wrong, its a technical marvel for the 2600 but there are so many other vertical shooters I'd put before RR its not funny.

As for Outlaw, yes I was disappointed even as a kid. We bought it because my father and I used to play Gunfight in the arcade but Outlaws characters were too big and moved too slow. It has some nice game variations but it didn't do much for me. I didn't mind the one player target shooting games though, they weren't bad at the time.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I was never a fan of David Crane, his games were always technically brilliant but always felt lacking in gameplay. I have read a few interviews from him over the years and it's clear that technology always came before fun. Pitfall, Grand Prix & freeway are perfect examples of this. As for Laser Blast, could a game be any more bland?

Yars' Revenge I have tried to get into for the last 30 years, it just doesn't gel with me at all, yes it's pretty, yes it's original but I just can't get into it. The game doesn't seem to have the same flow as many other Atari releases of the era.

Adventure is another title that I don't get along with. As another poster mentioned, the historical significance I appreciate but I just don't like the game.

Atlantis on the other hand is one of my favourites, a fine example of fast, twitchy shooting gallery action. I also like Cosmic Ark, but just wish it had an ending. After the rescue of all those animals it would be nice to acheive a positive ending. I do however know that few games back then did.

Cool thread.

For me it's STAMPEDE. I never thought it was rated that highly. But I've since discovered that an awful lot of people really like the game. And while I think it's ok, it just seemed to get too hard, too fast. For some reason I just couldn't get the hang of it.

That's funny because since I was a kid I've always thought Activision games were overrated. But I totally avoided Stampede because come on.. a WESTERN GAME WITH COWS? I wanted Space games!!

And now.. after all these years I play Stampede and I totally dig it! A hidden silver nugget of a game to me :lol:

• Like 2

Some of these games, maybe some of you don't like its style of gameplay. For example, I would defend Pitfall!, even though I got bored with it too. The problem is that I wanted Donkey Kong, not the adventurous game that David Crane gave us. There's nothing wrong with it. To get the perfect game, it takes exploration, discovery, mapping, and then pulling it off without losing points. It ain't for everybody but I appreciate the challenge. Visuals , animation, sounds are perfect, for the 2600.

I think Yars Revenge is overrated, I never found it all that great - it looks and sounds cool, but it is too easy and "it is what it is", and nothing more. Same with Atlantis as mentioned above - I just don't find the fun, in fact to me it is a frustrating game. I did like Megamania though! Lots of patterns to learn. (5200 version is much prettier of course).

Back in the day, I didn't like Stampede, but I've since learned the error of my ways - it's awesome! You have to understand it. Don't try to lasso every steer but bump into groups of them and keep them running - else you'll lose quickly. It gets addictive.

Oh - did somebody DARE to mention River Raid? It's probably my #1 2600 game!!! Disagree!! :)

2600 Mario Bros. Never heard anyone badmouth it, appaently it's considered impressive considering the hardware limitations, but there are so many things wrong with it. My assessment may be a bit unfair; I spent a week one summer vacation playing the hell out of the arcade game with my cousin, so Im a bit biased.

Later on I bought the 2600 game as a home version & was greatly disappointed.

Edited by RJ

Stampede is most certainly underrated for all the reasons already mentioned. It isn't even very pretty by Activision game standards.

Though I'd still take the Activision collection over the PB collection any day if that is all I could ever have to play. With Activision there are enough REALLY good titles in the total library to make it worthwhile. I'd probably spend half the time playing Keystone Kapers.

Speaking of the Parker Bros titles. Spiderman and Star Wars Empire Strikes Back. These are both titles that I sought out and paid a little more than I would have normally liked based on videos and reviews I found online. Spiderman is the one I like better, but I couldn't quite get the hang of it. It feels like it just needs a little something extra to make it a complete game. ESB in my mind feels a bit sterile. Its an ok side-scrolling shooter, but it is a little sterile. Again like Spiderman I think it needs a little something more.

To get the perfect game, it takes . . . mapping, and then pulling it off without losing points. It ain't for everybody but I appreciate the challenge. Visuals , animation, sounds are perfect, for the 2600.
I did like Megamania though! Lots of patterns to learn.

Those are the things I hated about various video games. I wanted to play, not do homework. I already had too much of that 7 days a week. I love exploring and discovery if the game is different every time you play.

1. Freeway.

Not untill I found AA and whatnot 10-15 years ago I disliked this game and I assumed anyone would agree with me. I was wrong. I hated this game as a kid. Verytime I looked at the cart I wished I owned ANY other game. I didn't understand why it even existed. To this day, I question it's existence. Mainly due to Frogger.

In Frogger you cross a road, dodge a snake, then cross a river, keeping a sharp eye out for diving turtles, alligators, possibly more snakes, and bonuses that you can grab when you reach the homebays.

In Freeway you cross a road.

Now, come on? what sounds like a more interesting game to you? Plus Frogger had music and a much more colorful gameworld.

I'll give Freeway a thumb up for the traffic sounds, they do sound kinda authentic, and if not for Frogger then Freeway would be probably be 10X better in my view. Probably cause it would among the only games of it's type ever. It has it's merits, but compared to Frogger...

Bonus Trivia: I always thought it was a Kangaroo crossing the road! I got it cart only from an older relative and the cart only shows a screenshot, not the boxart so I NEVER knew it was a chicken untill the Internet.

2. Yar's Revenge

Before I take a tomato to the face let me say I do love Yar's Revenge. But... no more than say Asteroids or Space Invaders. They're all good games, I think what makes Yar's Revenge stand out and get a little more acclaim than it should is becuase it was completely original. Not an arcade port and not a vague/reworked port of an arcade game with a new name. I guess in the world of the VCS Yar's Revenge stands tall and proud, but only because the other just-as-good games on VCS can be played almost anywhere, and possibly a better version too, whereas if you want to play Yar's Revenge, you need a VCS.

Edited by Torr

When I first got into Atari collecting, Adventure was a game I was beyond excited to track down and play, since it was one of those all-time classics. I was led to believe that Adventure's game world was large and expansive, and I was initially disappointed to learn that about 25 total areas/screens/rooms (just guesstimating) is what apparently qualified as large and expansive. But, I quickly came to appreciate it for what it was and not what two decades of other peoples' rose-colored glasses made it out to be. The randomness of it and the kind of "arcade" feel of it make it a unique experience.

Space Invaders. The game, even on the easier levels, is very difficult. I never found myself progressing beyond the first or second screen.

Adventure. The game was too blocky for me to be able to get into it.

Plaque Attack. I hate this game because of the up and down firing mechanics. It is simply counterproductive to have to fight enemies from both the top and bottom of the screen.

Pitfall. I was always underwhelmed by this one.

Night Driver. The game never looked like a car racing game. Enduro beat this game hands down.

Edited by sqoon

Adventure, Superman, Empire Strikes Back, Atlantis.

I'll also add Kaboom. For me it's more frustrating than fun - if you don't have twitch reflexes, there's about 30 seconds of gameplay in this cart.

I don't think Laser Blast is overrated, since it seems to be pretty-much universally hated. ;)

For reference, this is a decent place to see what's considered highly-rated.

I agree about several of the games being mentioned in here including Pitfall, Yars' Revenge, Stampede, Freeway, and Superman. I love many of the other games being mentioned though including Atlantis.

I'd like to add another vote for Megamania and also to mention Demon Attack. Never enjoyed those two nearly as much as most people do. I wouldn't argue that they're overrated I suppose with so many fans but they never did much for me. Star Raiders also never appealed much to me or the other 1st person space shooters.

Edited by Atariboy

My list............

Pac-Man. This is an overrated game no matter what system it's on. It's been given a very good redress on the 7800, but the basic Pac-Man game is just too shallow. For better fun, look to Bank Heist, Ms Pac-Man, or Lock 'n' Chase.

Atlantis. Again, far too shallow gameplay. For a better title, look to Missile Command or even Solar Storm.

Defender. Slightly overrated even in the arcade, the home port lacks excitement. Subterranea trumps this hands down. Many Defender clones suffer horribly in the gameplay department, including Killer Satellites, Flash Gordon, Laser Gates, and probably many others. Subterranea, however, always stays fresh with three distinct challenges.

Frogger (Parker Brothers): Yes, I'm gonna cause a war with this one, but it's true. With the far superior Starpath version, this cart is completely pointless. That goes double when you factor in the simplistic cross the road games like Freeway and part of Porky's. Those games can provide a quick cross the road fix, but when you wanna get serious, you gotta have something that's serious, and that's the cassette loading version from Starpath.

Zaxxon: Yuck. Just plain YUCK. It even fails in the format they took with it. It's trumped by titles like Star Strike and Moonsweeper.

Star Raiders: Starpath and Activision beat Atari at their own game. Star Raiders is OK, I guess, but I never got engaged into it like I did Phaser Patrol. Years later I would also get engrossed into Starmaster. It's hard to pick which game of the three is best, but it's certainly NOT Star Raiders. Also, why the funky controller??

Front Line: Props to this game. It's not a flop by any means, but it is very difficult. This is the only game I'm calling out in a positive light because it needs it. Even though the graphics are blocky, it trumps its ColecoVision counterpart in playability. Easy to learn yet tough to master, Front Line will keep you hitting reset just one more time, and one more time, and one more time...

OK, I lied. I gotta call out Adventure in a positive light also. It's crude but completely fun, especially on the hardest settings. It's pretty tense when Rhindle is chasing you down and at the last second you whip that sword out and slay his sorry red butt.