IGNORED

Atari vs. Nintendo - Youtube video

I thought this video was relevant to the topic. Also pick out as many inaccuracies as possible.................. I say that not to hate on Atari, but lets face it Nintendo deserved to win this battle. Its funny I am a child of the NES generation and my interest in vintage consoles started with my NES collection. Now I spend a lot more time with Atari products then Nintendo, but this commercial is still very laughable to me.

I thought this video was relevant to the topic. Also pick out as many inaccuracies as possible.................. I say that not to hate on Atari, but lets face it Nintendo deserved to win this battle. Its funny I am a child of the NES generation and my interest in vintage consoles started with my NES collection. Now I spend a lot more time with Atari products then Nintendo, but this commercial is still very laughable to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic0nvtNfDRM

What inaccuracies are there in the commercial? It's all true. The problem was the majority of the public didn't care about many of the selling points made in the video, so it didn't sell well. That is NOT the same as being inaccurate.

https://www.youtube....h?v=y37tPc08v90

Try to pick out as many inaccuracies as you can...

Wow those idiots on this youtube vid think that the Nintendo Seal of Quality was about the games.

The Seal of Quality just meant said cartridge worked in the console, even for games like Taboo The sixth sense (a Rare game, btw) or Godzilla (Famicom/NES has far 'worst' rubbish games than VCS)

Edited by high voltage

Poor Nintendo, bad Atari!

From wiki:

To this end, a 10NES authentication chip was placed in every console and another was placed in every officially licensed cartridge. If the console's chip could not detect a counterpart chip inside the cartridge, the game would not load.[50] Nintendo portrayed these measures as intended to protect the public against poor-quality games, and placed a golden seal of approval on all licensed games released for the system.

Nintendo's intention, however, was to reserve a large part of NES game revenue for itself. Nintendo required that they be the sole manufacturer of all cartridges, and that the publisher had to pay in full before the cartridges for that game be produced. Cartridges could not be returned to Nintendo, so publishers assumed all the risk. As a result, some publishers lost more money due to distress sales of remaining inventory at the end of the NES era than they ever earned in profits from sales of the games. Because Nintendo controlled the production of all cartridges, it was able to enforce strict rules on its third-party developers, which were required to sign a contract by Nintendo that would obligate these parties to develop exclusively for the system, order at least 10,000 cartridges, and only make five games per year.[51] GameSpy noted that these "iron-clad terms" made Nintendo many enemies during the 1980s. Some developers tried to get around the five game limit by creating additional company brands like Konami's Ultra Games label, others tried going around the 10NES chip (see below).

What inaccuracies are there in the commercial? It's all true. The problem was the majority of the public didn't care about many of the selling points made in the video, so it didn't sell well. That is NOT the same as being inaccurate.

Any system with a joystick wins, with a joypad, not

Atarian1 you are correct I misspoke there were no true inaccuracies. I did however find many points of the commercial a direct attempt to mislead the audience. Not that that's wrong it is a commercial after all. I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for this. But I got to disagree with high voltage with the whole joystick wins thing. While I do agree the joystick is superior for some games the joypad opened up a whole new level of control. I would like to site this video as an example.

http://youtu.be/wz3BuYYhnn0

Perhaps its just my lack of skill with a stick but I don't believe this level of control is possible without a joypad. I think its kinda the same reason they put short shifters on sports cars less movement means faster response times from the machine.

Oh and as far as the idea of the chip being installed for quality control. That's garbage! I don't think any system had more crappy games than the NES. Almost every game that was based on a movie was garbage and just pumped out to hit a deadline (with some exceptions of course). There are quit a few games for the NES that I would would say are so bad that they are nearly unplayable!!!

Edited by Dripfree

My only problem is that these folks speak with a level of confidence that they really shouldn't have. The twists and turns with atari are so complex, at times even we get our facts wrong, or have disagreements about them.

Lemme guess, this kind of crew probably believes "atari just went bankrupt" too.

Okay, but which atari? There have been so many...

Perhaps its just my lack of skill with a stick but I don't believe this level of control is possible without a joypad. I think its kinda the same reason they put short shifters on sports cars less movement means faster response times from the machine.

I dunno. Arcades do pretty well with sticks, and the throw on them can be pretty short as well. The kids with NES advantage units seemed to do okay in mario, even though that's kind of a crappy stick.

I'll take a good pad any day, but I don't think I'm missing out on much in terms of control. I'm just lazy.

• Like 1

I am aware of the situation with Tengen deviously getting the schematics of the lockout system so they could zip it with an electrical current or something. Thank God they did this so that all of you heathens could play Bible Games! :D

But the Atari that these guys talk about was the games division, and that split away from WB/Jack T in '84. Was Tengen part of that newer, seperate Atari?

I consider the Atari canon to pre-WB, WB, Atari Corp and nothing else.

The video has a nice presentation and high production values. But it was not well researched. We must be very selective about what we believe and quote these days, because the internet has no gatekeepers.

Nintendo deserved a fair fight in the marketplace in the late 1980s, as did Atari and Sega, and Nintendo had the unfair advantage of its third-party licensing system preventing most companies to bringing forth games onto competing systems. The NES may have had better games, but who knows what could have been accomplished with the other systems if they were given a fair shake. So Nintendo's victory in that period was rather slanted.

Nintendo deserved a fair fight in the marketplace in the late 1980s, as did Atari and Sega, and Nintendo had the unfair advantage of its third-party licensing system preventing most companies to bringing forth games onto competing systems. The NES may have had better games, but who knows what could have been accomplished with the other systems if they were given a fair shake. So Nintendo's victory in that period was rather slanted.

I think that other companies opted themselves out by their own poor management. Atari was a hemmoraging mess in 1984 and was in no shape to compete after the split. Mattel and Coleco shit the bed because of bad investments. The bottom line is that the market in the US was wide open in 1985. Nintendo's monopolistic practices of the day might be a tough pill to swallow by contemporary standards, but they wanted to sure up their market- which at the time was wide open. Third party publishers may have suffered as a result, and retailers too. But generally, those who abided by Nintendo's fudalism probably made a decent chunck of change; the NES was HUGE. And it's success can only be partly attributed to the monopoly; it was really doing something new and the games were awesome. If it controlled the market practices and turned out to be a big steaming shitheap then it just would have gone under and the market would open up again. But the key was successful management, and Nintendo had it in spades. It should be noted that Atari Corp did better than it had in years during the NES period. They had a nice line of next-gen computers and the 2600 Jr and 7800 took the company out of the red.

I dunno. Arcades do pretty well with sticks, and the throw on them can be pretty short as well. The kids with NES advantage units seemed to do okay in mario, even though that's kind of a crappy stick.

There simply is no really decent joystick for the NES, as far as I can see. Tried quite a few by now (including the Advantage). The precision of a Competition Pro can not be reached by a fiddly gamepad imo - but the Advantage sure ain't no Competition.

There simply is no really decent joystick for the NES, as far as I can see. Tried quite a few by now (including the Advantage). The precision of a Competition Pro can not be reached by a fiddly gamepad imo - but the Advantage sure ain't no Competition.

Is the 500xj on the NES as good as it is on other systems? Microswitches for good feedback, nice short throw, tough as hell--it's got all the checkboxes. It's probably a bit weird to use on that system, but I generally take it over competition pro on other systems. Unless they screwed up the NES version, it should be in the same league, I would think.

Edited by Reaperman

Is the 500xj on the NES as good as it is on other systems? Good feedback, nice short throw, microswitches--it's got all the checkboxes. It's probably a bit weird to use on that system, but that's been my chosen atari controller since the 80's. Never tried the NES version, though.

I have one of those for the NES. The stick is awesome, robust and super precise. But the A and B buttons suck. After only a short while of wear, they are getting really hard to press down. And the start/select and turbofire "buttons" are a joke. I had to peel off the sticker above them after only a few hours of playing - to be able to press them for a result at all...

• Like 1