IGNORED

New Neo Geo X games coming

Found this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/neo-geo-x-classics-volume-1-bundles-15-games-for-new-system/

Also found Amazon taking preorders. They say its coming May 30th unlike the website stating end of April.

http://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-Classics-Vol-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00BQR56GO/ref=pd_sim_vg_2

Cannot wait for some new stuff. Love this little handheld.

Considering they are ROMs on a card, you would think that for $25 they would include more titles.

True. I'm guessing each card will only have 3 games a piece plus any updates. I read that the goal is to eventually have every AES game for this handheld and other games not on the AES. Thats gonna be a lot of little cards to keep track of.

Now I dont know a thing about storage or megs or anything. Realistically how many games could they fit? Could the entire library fit on one card?

Yeah $25 for 3 games seems pricy considering how much Neo Geo games have been released for in the past. Even the smaller PS2 Neo Geo collections had more games for cheaper.

I've enjoyed my Neo Geo X for the price I paid for it ($120 from Cowboom) but I don't think i'll be dumping too much more money into it.. at least not at $8+ a game.

It's kinda like the virtual console games on the Nintendo. I was poking around the store on my 3ds the other day and was surprsed to see them wanting $5-$8 for these old games. That's a lot of money for something that was released and made its money so long ago. When you look at the Sega Collections that net you like 40 games for $20.. that seems a lot more reasonable.

It's kinda like the virtual console games on the Nintendo. I was poking around the store on my 3ds the other day and was surprsed to see them wanting $5-$8 for these old games. That's a lot of money for something that was released and made its money so long ago. When you look at the Sega Collections that net you like 40 games for $20.. that seems a lot more reasonable.

Agreed on that. I have yet to purchase an old NES game or Game Boy game on the 3ds VC. My thoughts are they should be 2 to 3 bucks a piece.

Edited by Taskmaster99

Agreed on that. I have yet to purchase an old NES game or Game Boy game on the 3ds VC. My thoughts are they should be 2 to 3 bucks a piece.

Well that's just it. Like they had Ninja Gaiden NES on there.. if it was $2 I'd probably have bought it just for the sake of convienance. But for $5? That's a lot of money for a game that I already paid $40 for back in the 80s. If you are going to charge $5 at least make it Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. So I didn't buy it. Same deal on these Neo Geo games.. i guess they figure they'll make more off the people that will pay whatever, but they are going to lose a lot of people that aren't willing to pay crazy money for 20 year old games.

Honestly they should let you download the Neo Geo games directly to your Neo Geo X for like $2 or $3 a game.. that would be about as much as i'd spend. Maybe do special packs like 5 games for $10 or something. If it's just a download its not like there would be any manufacturing costs, etc.

Those prices are a bit high, especially considering all of the other legitimate options for buying SNK games. PSN downloads for SNK titles are nowhere near that price, and the disc collections are an even better deal. Even now the PSP collections can be bought new: SNK Arcade Classics 1 ($16, 16 games), Metal Gear Anthology ($19, 7 games), SNK Arcade Classics 0 (import so it's more expensive, $50, 20 games). So even with the overpriced import the games average to $2.50 each.

I ordered a Neo-Geo X Gold from Best Buy last week for $100. I have no doubt I will get my money's worth from it, but the only separate $25 card I will be supporting is the one with Blazing Star on it. That's provided they even get that far along with these. Anything else, well.. there is that ROM trick I can try out.

Awesome! So good to see that the X has gotten enough market support to warrant this- I'm glad some of the skeptics were wrong about this being an attempt at a quick cash-in!

Disagree. Charging $25 for badly emulated roms of three 20+ year old games seems like yet another cash-in to me. This console was a huge disappointment IMHO and the fact that Best Buy cleared them out over the past few weeks is pretty strong evidence that there wasn't much of a market for this outside of a few nostalgic collectors who didn't know any better.

• Like 1

Hmm, if they are able to get a sizable collection of game cards out there, I might be more intrigued. I can see why the price is making a lot of people blink but its Neo Geo. I'd expect nothing less with that name plastered on it lol.

So the emulation isn't to good bojay? That's a shame. I thought the docking station concept was super cool. My main issue with NEO GEO stuff is that arcade games of that era aren't as enjoyable to me. When it comes to arcades, I'm definitely in the 80s camp. Shmups are fun but I don't like fighting games very much.

I pay the prices for VC on my Wii and will continue to whenever I get around to picking up a 3DS and Wii U. I'd definitely buy more games if they were cheaper though. Nintendo has been pretty inflexible with their digital price schemes. This is why Steam is the only digital store that I've ever really been enthusiastic about - they run big sales all the time and don't use gimmick point systems for their games. I definitely got my $6 worth out of Bomberman though. Oh man when the Wii was new my friends and I played the hell out of Bomberman.

I received my Neo-Geo X Gold today! Excitement quickly turned to sadness though when I realized how much the thing sucks when hooked up to a TV. Screen tearing, no way to correct the aspect ratio when connected to a HD set, super dim/muddy look on a standard-def CRT, plus inaccurate and distorted/peaked audio really hurts the experience. Not to mention, the joystick isn't of the same quality build that the original AES sticks were (they only look similar), and there seems to be a slight delay when playing on a television. Ugh.

Fortunately, a smile was put back on my face (slightly) when I sat down with just the handheld itself. This part of the package is genuinely nice. The build itself feels great, with a very nice finish overall. The screen looks good, and while not perfect, you won't be noticing the flaws here like you will on a HD television set, simply due to the small size and the fast-paced nature of the games. The circle joystick works well too, although it's not quite as precise as the Neo-Geo CD version. Feels a little mushy in comparison actually now that I think of it, but it still works great.

It will be nice when they release the "charger" cable, because I really don't want to keep this docking station out. After the debacle that was trying it out on each of my television sets (CRT, HD CRT, and LCD monitor), I have absolutely zero intention to use it again on any big screen. As a handheld though, I will definitely be getting some use out of it. The docking station is huge though--a waste of space unless you are using it on the TV.

My guess is that their custom charging cable will slap into the USB port on the top of the handheld? Just a guess, anyway. Has anyone checked to see if any mini USB connections work on it? I'd like to give it a shot to see if it will charge that way, but I don't have a USB cable intended for cameras or smartphones.

I just put this up on the flash cart/multicart list the other day. I believe you can only put 50 roms on one card. Hope this doesn't ruffle too many feathers, but as it's already been stated, they really are just roms on a card.

Neo Geo X:

• SD Card Adaptor Mod: The Neo Geo X system has a modified sd card slot that allows you to use extra game packs. The first and last pin are swapped, and the second and second to last pin are swapped on the sd cards.
    describe how to create a modified microsd adapter for use with normal microsd cards.
    describes how to convert your roms over to the Neo Geo X format. You can follow this thread over at the Neo Geo forums. There is a group buy going on, but they already have enough people.

• Like 1

Those prices are a bit high, especially considering all of the other legitimate options for buying SNK games. PSN downloads for SNK titles are nowhere near that price, and the disc collections are an even better deal.

PSN downloads for pre-Neo Geo titles (which SNK Playmore released as Minis) are $3 each, but the Neo Geo games in the PS Store are actually more expensive than this 3-for-$25 arrangement, if you're buying the PS3 versions. Those are $9 each, and the PSP versions are $7 each. Granted, in those cases, your purchase also gets you online multiplayer (or ad-hoc multiplayer, in the PSP version's case), the ability to record replays, and a music player. Still expensive, though.

onmode-ky

PSN downloads for pre-Neo Geo titles (which SNK Playmore released as Minis) are $3 each, but the Neo Geo games in the PS Store are actually more expensive than this 3-for-$25 arrangement, if you're buying the PS3 versions. Those are $9 each, and the PSP versions are $7 each. Granted, in those cases, your purchase also gets you online multiplayer (or ad-hoc multiplayer, in the PSP version's case), the ability to record replays, and a music player. Still expensive, though.

I must have purchased mine on sale, because I'm sure I didn't pay more than $6 because I refuse on principle to pay more than that for a 20-year-old downloaded game. Even so, that was also years ago, so it wouldn't surprise me if the prices had gone up.

The prices I quoted above for the PSP UMD collections are current so SNK Arcade Classics 1, Metal Gear Anthology, and SNK Arcade Classics 0 (all brand new) shipped will cost $85 for 43 games... just under $2/each ;)

Those prices are a bit high, especially considering all of the other legitimate options for buying SNK games. PSN downloads for SNK titles are nowhere near that price, and the disc collections are an even better deal. Even now the PSP collections can be bought new: SNK Arcade Classics 1 ($16, 16 games), Metal Gear Anthology ($19, 7 games), SNK Arcade Classics 0 (import so it's more expensive, $50, 20 games). So even with the overpriced import the games average to $2.50 each.

Outside of the Virtual Console where somehow they're making it work (Although I think the release well is just about dry... Japan isn't getting much of anything anymore and they're quickly catching Europe and North American up with another download every couple of weeks or so), there aren't exactly lots of Neo Geo options.

The physical compilations disappeared years ago and were only on last gen consoles and handhelds (And several had severe issues from a certain developer). And XBLA has barely received anything and the Neo Geo program on PSN didn't accomplish much before being killed off. And beyond that, there has only been an odd or end here and there from other publishers like Magical Drop III and Street Hoop on Data East Arcade Classics on the Wii a few years ago, Strikers 1945 Plus on PSN for the PSP, etc.

And sadly unlike the PSP Minis that saw much of the era that was being given attention given a release, barely anything was available with the Neo Geo releases and they have long since stopped. It launched with 10 games late in 2010 and saw six more throughout 2011 with nothing since then.

So barely a blip on the radar for SNK Neo Geo titles where as I bet at least 75% of their pre Neo Geo arcade content saw a Minis release before the plug was pulled on anything more (Which it appears there was going to be more of).

Since SNK doesn't seem to be accomplishing much by digitally packaging this stuff up for standalone sales on the HD consoles, I wish they'd consider packing everything together on a retail compilation. That would be something and I bet people would stand up and take notice and support it.

The prices I quoted above for the PSP UMD collections are current so SNK Arcade Classics 1, Metal Gear Anthology, and SNK Arcade Classics 0 (all brand new) shipped will cost $85 for 43 games... just under $2/each ;)

Man, I thought SNK Arcade Classics Volume 0 cost me well over $50 to import. Where can you get it for well under $50?

In case it's unknown to some around here and anyone is interested in SNK's early days, the PSP Minis lineup though saw quite a few pre Neo Geo games be made available that weren't included SNK Arcade Volume 0. So anyone that bothers to import this for their PSP should be aware that Vanguard (A must for any PS3/PSP owning AtariAge user), Alpha Mission, Gang Wars, Ozma Wars (Their first game), Time Soldiers, Chopper 1, and The Next Space saw exclusive downloadable releases and aren't on SNK Arcade Volume 0. But they can be downloaded on the PSP and PS3 for $3 a game.

And everything that was on there also saw a $3 PSP Minis release and can also be played on the PS3 except for Super Champion Baseball which seems to have been a victim of the death of the viability of the Minis lineup before it made its way out.

Edited by Atariboy