IGNORED

Amidar, Sky Skipper and Bowling

Mister VCS

I like Amidar (ahh, I should say, I like the arcade version of Amidar). The 2600 port is ok but I wish Coleco or another more capable system had gotten it. I wouldn't put it near the top of any list but it is enjoyable enough.

• Like 1

After playing Amidar (PAL!) a few minutes I was surprised that it is faster than its reputation -ok the warriors not the gorilla itself...

Wait a minute- I played it on my "new" PAL 7800 - is there a speed difference between 2600 and 7800?

Edited by Mister VCS

Sky Skipper would be my least favorite of the three. Bowling can be lots of fun with some competition. Haven't played Amidar much since the 80's, but it's a good game and a decent 2600 conversion I guess. Actually rented Amidar at a video rental store back in the day. :lol:

I recently got sky skipper and don't like it at all. Amidar was one I never played much until last year, then I got really addicted to it for a few weeks, at least until I got good enough to play for hours per game, then I got bored with it. Now whenever I try it again, it seems too easy. Haven't really tried bowling much.

Amidar on 2600... yikes. Not exactly a paragon of arcade authenticity. I remember a few years ago I was going through my sister's box of games and tried 2600 Amidar, having never heard of it in any incarnation before that. I had no idea what was going on, and no idea what the graphics were supposed to represent. I didn't even have a guess. Curious to find out, later that same day I checked MAME to see if the game is in fact based on an arcade game, which obviously it is. The arcade game is great, but I'm pretty sure any reasonably objective person would agree that the port is dogshit.

Bowling is pretty cool I guess. I remember playing that game and always resetting it if I didn't get at least three strikes in a row to start a game.

I remember Sky Skipper being a great game, but then again, I haven't played it in over 25 years.

After playing Amidar (PAL!) a few minutes I was surprised that it is faster than its reputation -ok the warriors not the gorilla itself...

Wait a minute- I played it on my "new" PAL 7800 - is there a speed difference between 2600 and 7800?

There might be one between PAL and NTSC, but I kinda doubt it. If there is any difference, I would expect it to be slower on PAL due to the extra scan lines.

I believe C64 music plays faster on NTSC machines than PAL machines for this reason.