IGNORED

Prob with Space Duel, Asteroids. Robotron on modern tv

lucifershalo

Hello,

After somemonths I dug out my Ntsc 7800 and began to play games on my Samsung flat screen

When I tried Space Duel, Asteroids Dlx and Robotron, i have the Atari intro screen then nothing....all black

I have a lot more carts and homebrews

But only have that problem with those 3 games

Any idea?

Thanks

I don't know about Robotron, but several of my homebrews (Space Duel and PacMan Collection in particular) give me a black screen when I first start up. It goes away after I have the 7800 on for five minutes or so. It's like the system has to "warm up" before it recognizes them. Thus, when I want to play those games I have always play something else for a little while first. It isn't every homebrew and not even every one from the same programmer (Bob did Scramble and Moon Cresta and those work without warm up).

Are you sure it's a problem with those specific games or just an issue with the modern/flat screen TV not always recognizing or registering the video feed from the 7800?

I have experienced various 'no input' messages at times with a variety of games (Title/Game does not seem to be a factor, it is just random), on LCD/LED/Plasma televisions. Besides signal recognition issues, colors and clarity are usually off to an extent, if not completely wrong on "modern" displays. Same 7800 systems work perfectly fine on CRT's.

Some captures color discrepancy examples here: http://atariage.com/...25#entry2699592

onlythose games dont work

and always after the atari intro screens

will check on older Tv

If you're getting the intro/logo screen, the video feed shouldn't be the issue then.

ApolloBoy posted about a couple of games (Different titles from yours) that crash one of his 7800.

A slightly different problem than yours, but still "crash" related.

Makes me wonder if some form of bit rot might have/is settling in for these systems and/or games.

ApolloBoy posted about a couple of games (Different titles from yours) that crash one of his 7800.

For some reason my 7800's stopped doing that recently, Ballblazer and Food Fight now work fine on my system. I do have a very strange problem on my brother's AV modded system though (which used to be mine) where Ballblazer randomly crashes.

I have robotron for 7800 and it works fine on my very modern tv.

I would say you just need to clean your cartridges. try a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, rub each contact on your cartridge hard, up and down on each one (then continue and do the same for the reverse side). This will probably make your games work like new.

let me know if it worked.

Edited by Kulp