IGNORED

Modern gamers don't know how to play Metroid

HAHA!!! Ignorant whipper-snappers! They've been brainwashed by all those repetitive, formulaic "casual" games and can no longer problem solve or think outside the box. There was no hand-holding or coddling back then. Super Metroid was a very challenging game, but that's part of why it's considered the classic that it is. Funny article, btw.

Whatever. We *all* got stuck in a metroid game at some point. It's just that there wasn't a 'ask the community for help' button half a second a way so we had to figure it out. Actually, in super metroid the path was so much clearer. What do they say about the first one?

Edited by Reaperman

Whatever. We *all* got stuck in a metroid game at some point. It's just that there wasn't a 'ask the community for help' button half a second a way so we had to figure it out. Actually, in super metroid the path was so much clearer. What do they say about the first one?

"How come Samus can't roll up into a ball at the start of the game???" :dunce:

• Like 1

HAHA!!! Ignorant whipper-snappers! They've been brainwashed by all those repetitive, formulaic "casual" games and can no longer problem solve or think outside the box. There was no hand-holding or coddling back then. Super Metroid was a very challenging game, but that's part of why it's considered the classic that it is. Funny article, btw.

Even "Super Metroid" coddles, compared to the original NES game... especially the auto-mapping feature.

It's still the best game ever, IMO.

• Like 3

LOL original Metroid is very easy compared to some of the modern games. I think some gamers have been spoiled by internet chock full of FAQ, cheat devices, hand-holding in-game tutorial that practically shows how to win the game, etc.

I do remember getting frustrated in original Metroid long ago since internet wasn't "invented" by Al Gore yet, Player's Guide hadn't been released yet, and no gaming magazine has detail or map.

Super Metroid was much easier, I was able to clear it without once looking on the internet for help or cheat.

Edited by Uzumaki

That teacher should try a 2600 game.

Pitfall II would result in a few broken controller

Any of the Sword Quest game would be pure evil, especially with no internet to look at cheat.

Radier of the Lost Ark, I bet no one would be able to "win" it even with manual and internet access.

Dark Chamber, very long play and if you picked the wrong exit in certain stage you restart from stage A

• Like 1

That teacher should try a 2600 game.

Pitfall II would result in a few broken controller

Any of the Sword Quest game would be pure evil, especially with no internet to look at cheat.

Radier of the Lost Ark, I bet no one would be able to "win" it even with manual and internet access.

Dark Chamber, very long play and if you picked the wrong exit in certain stage you restart from stage A

:)

I think the Internet is at once a wonderful powerful tool and a crutch that is going to hurt newer generations.

With Google, video on demand, instant downloads, movie streaming, etc. Kids today literally do have it way too easy. They expect instant gratification and they don't want to work for anything because why should they? If a game is too hard they can go download something else on their ipad.

Sad really.

I think the Internet is at once a wonderful powerful tool and a crutch that is going to hurt newer generations.

With Google, video on demand, instant downloads, movie streaming, etc. Kids today literally do have it way too easy. They expect instant gratification and they don't want to work for anything because why should they? If a game is too hard they can go download something else on their ipad.

Sad really.

One thing the Internet generation will never have to experience is never seeing the ending of a game. Back before the internet if you weren't good enough or smart enough to beat a game and didn't have a friend who could, you never saw the ending. Now you can either download save files that are maxed out, download cheat codes, or if all else fails, go to Youtube and watch the ending.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it's a difference nonetheless.

My step brother (who is 14 years younger than I am) convinced me to play CoD with him a couple months ago. I was pretty disgusted honestly with all the burning people and needless cursing every 2 seconds, but that isn't why I finally put down the controller.

The game simply yelled at me every 2 seconds. Crouch here so they don't see us, Ok let's go now, Ok let's shoot them now, Ok let's go get that prisoner... no not over there, over here.. HERE.. OVER ****ing HERE!

I just couldn't take it anymore. It didn't let you fail. If you walked 2 feet outside of the narrow path you were supposed to be on, it would let you know. Where's the fun in that?

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I find myself incredibly angry after reading that, because I know that they are the ones who drive the creation and publication of new games as well as the suppression of games which do not meet their narrow and shallow desires.

I remember when U4 was new, and I didnt think it was that much fun either, to be fair I really never liked any of them

This reminds me of some arguments I'd gotten into back in my GameFAQs days with people over the original Legend of Zelda. They would insist that it was a terrible game because it was to hard to figure out what to do or where to go. To me that was always the point and what made it so much fun. Zelda 1 can be beat in like 30 mins if you know where everything is. Instead it occupied years of my childhood because I had to find everything myself.

Finding things, sharing with your friends, and then having them share things they found with you...man it is to bad the internet killed gaming experiences like that. Not saying it is worse now but playing Zelda 1 with a lot of people who didn't know any more than you did was a blast back in the day.

• Like 2