IGNORED

New Tempest game in the works for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would purchase a 2nd Tempest Game if you already own Tempest Xtreem or the Tempest 5200?

• I already have Tempest Xtreem and/or Tempest 5200, don't need another one
    • Yes I would buy since it will have new features
  2. 2. Would you like to see the 5200 version ported to the 8-bit?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It would be very hard to imagine a scenario where the stock cassette deck could provide more a few samples per frame. However, have there been any data-streaming applications written where the 410 is left running? I guess if you had some sort of game on rails, the level data could continuously load.

We are going to keep to using RMT for the music sound track and sound effect. Never considered using a cassette playback. The option of disabling the music during game play is being worked on. It does look for Stereo Pokey, if detected, it plays 8 channel stereo. If just one pokey, plays 4 channel mono.

It is pretty much the same deal with VBXE. If detected, it loads the sprites into VBXE memory area and bypasses the player/missile multiplexer. Also uses 320x192 for the web instead of 160x192.

If no VBXE is detected, it will still play standard Atari Antic / GTIA graphics.

Please don't get any ideals that this is VBXE or Stereo Pokey only. I got routines that can detect which hardware is present in an Atari Computer.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Being someone who is from the world of Security and protecting interests I have to agree about not releasing a digital download. Anyone doing these cartridges thoroughly tests the games before releasing them to ensure there are no glitches that causes a crash. Digital Downloads and patches are more popular with Windows PC games because with technology, things become more complicated to program for. Windows PCs are open systems with all types of hardware and even have thorough beta testing, there's always people out there with hardware that conflicts with the software release. This is not a case with a proprietary computer or game counsel where it is designed to just specific hardware.

Ah and that's why there is no pause feature in the game right?

I am used to play games spread over days. I play it… and since Tempest Xtreem is way too easy, I could play it rather easy 'forever' .. but it lacks a pause key (and no feature to start somewhere halfway the game). So I gave my cartridge away already a while ago.

Digital download is much better alternative. Everybody here knows that, and a8 scene is fair enough to pay for. But like kjmann already stated: it is discussed before, and since kjmann is obviously the boss, I'm not going to argue about this again.

I always pay for all the software I use, and I always pay for all the music and movies I have. Not to be right, but simply because I appreciate my stuff a lot more when I paid for it.

I have also invested literally thousands of euro's in atari 8bit extensions like hard drives, flash carts, flash media, memory expansions … and with these cart-only games I still can not run these from my cool config??

Of course games are written/designed for stock a8 hardware. I can understand and appreciate that; but it would be better if you also would support all modern solutions.

I'd offer 4 times the regular price of the cart for a digital download. And why not put a serial number in it? I know Stephen J Carden did this already in his BBS software, and in 25 years I have never seen one single pirated copy of that program. And did you ever see a cracked version of Tempest Xtreem? I am pretty sure it can be done, but a8 scene is loyal so it isn't there, because people want to support producers/stores who put money in the projects.

So please stop with this 'non-issue' (sorry if this sounds harder than its meant to be) and concentrate on reality which is a very large bunch of very loyal people in the a8 scene, who do not spread titles that are still commercial.

(I have not seen any dump of the Pacman conversion for 1Mbit atari max carts!)

Edited by ProWizard

@peteym5 i, for once , have found bugs on both

Venture AND Tempest Xtreme,

and the carts will never be updated...not cool.

more than a hundred bucks on plastic not being used

(and way ugly ,by the way)

another tempest? if things were done the right way an expansion for the original one should be offered digitally

alone with updated versions of the TOO EASY and BUG FRIENDLY previous games

i don't care about cheap, if the game is good, i will pay 50 for a download to use from mass storage device

instead of a cart so ugly i had to hide it from sight :mad:

Edited by Aking

Looks like we have to make sure everything is working right before the cartridge goes into production. It will have pause and restart features. It will have more levels and other new twists.

We will not be replying any further about downloads or the distribution. That is all I have to say at this point.

We will not be replying any further about downloads or the distribution. That is all I have to say at this point.

That's ok, but I am sure other people, and myself, will keep repeating what the crowd wishes for. Since this thread is started with a poll, why don't you ask what the people want in a poll. If 90% decides to skip the game now, while those 90% might buy a digital download, I would know what I would chose when I was the seller of the game.

• Like 2

As with Venture and T.E., I prefer a physical copy. As I have stated before, people that are doing these projects should be rewarded for their efforts with a purchase. Remember back in the day, you could BUY carts or disks, or get pirated copies your buddy gave you ( or you downloaded ).

As with Venture and T.E., I prefer a physical copy. As I have stated before, people that are doing these projects should be rewarded for their efforts with a purchase. Remember back in the day, you could BUY carts or disks, or get pirated copies your buddy gave you ( or you downloaded ).

My point is that you can not compare back in the day with now. I stated real clear that there is no proof at all that people today in a8 scene are so dumb to shoot in their own foot. Everybody (well almost) here wants to reward hard work for A8 with money.

I bought a pacman arcade version here on atariage. It was for atarimax cart. Those carts are rather easy to dump. Did ever anyone here spread them? No.

I converted it for myide 2. I know a lot of people would have it for myide 2. Do I spread that? No,

People on a8 today are real enthusiastics who adore good and cool releases, and they are aware that when that source dries up, the fun of the hobby will dry up too.

So they are almost willing to pay more or in advance!

So again: don't compare today with back then. The situation is way different.

Oh and one more thing... The reason kjmann do not want to provide digital downloads is because he is afraid other people will do the same as he probably would do. That's a wild guess but I am convinced most people are nothing like that.

Edited by ProWizard

Well,

this is not fully true. Pacman Arcade (besides breaking the law, since Pacman is © and tm of Namco and must not be sold commercially without the okay coming from Namco) had been uploaded here at atari-age forum and due to request by its author TEP392 and maybe other Atarians it was removed.

Besides, I find it very annoying that a few Atarians are asking again and again and again (without ever stopping) for digital downloads, allthough it was clearly stated that Kjmann and PeteyM will not make them available. I see you standing on their grave one day, still asking them for a digital download of their A8 games (or sitting in an asylum/mental hospital and the only words you are able to speak are "digital download, digital download" while spit is coming out of your mouth). So, please stop asking them for any digital downloads, accept their decision and live with it. I am absolutely sure, they will announce it, when they change their mind on that subject, so there is no reason to ask again and again and again and again and again... here.

My point is that you can not compare back in the day with now. I stated real clear that there is no proof at all that people today in a8 scene are so dumb to shoot in their own foot. Everybody (well almost) here wants to reward hard work for A8 with money.

I bought a pacman arcade version here on atariage. It was for atarimax cart. Those carts are rather easy to dump. Did ever anyone here spread them? No.

@Charliechaplin

There is a difference between having a discussion with content on one side, and making fun of someone's opinion on the other side. KJMANN or whoever else must have a reason for doing that (not releasing a digital download), and I think that reason can be discussed. I try to convince them they (KJMANN and co) are wrong when they think their production should be protected to save the investment; I'm using a lot of detailed and well motivated arguments. That is something where a forum is made for right?

If you can't stand that (I quote: "I find it very annoying… etc") please ignore me or the thread. It's ridiculous when you can't see the difference between a discussion with arguments (what I'm trying to do) and someone standing on someones grave still asking for a digital download.

And next to that, I find it rather strange that someone whose core-business was duplicating other peoples hard work, putting it on cart, and making money of it, now only want his own game released in this very 'protected' form. So it is, he trusts his guests right?

Edited by ProWizard

I agree with the previous (OLD!!) request somewhere in the thread to use the 2600 Driving controller, or even a paddle controller that you'd still have to turn back the other way, because you can turn quickly. Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar supports analog knob, even though none were officially made for the console. I've had my fill of playing Tempest (of any sort) with a digital joystick/D-pad; it's the versions with analog control that I reach for. Since I don't have a Jaguar, a Playstation (PS1) Tempest X3 and an off-brand ($6.29 shipped/Ebay) mouse are what I usually reach for. It would be GREAT to play on the A8 with either a driving controller, paddle controller, or even an ST mouse.

• Like 1

The situation is not any different since he 80's until now, because people have not changed. Have people magically transformed into brutally honest people since then? What are you smoking? Dishonesty is still alive and well. Did I want to pay $48.00 of my hard earnd money on impulse X? No, not really, but what I got was an excellent game with nice packaging and a comforting sense that the developer will make more games in the future because people BOUGHT his/their game.

I see you standing on their grave one day, still asking them for a digital download of their A8 games (or sitting in an asylum/mental hospital and the only words you are able to speak are "digital download, digital download" while spit is coming out of your mouth).

No offense to prowizard here. I think this is partially motivated by the fact that others here are continually talking about digital downloads too. But this had me laughing pretty hard... :D

And next to that, I find it rather strange that someone whose core-business was duplicating other peoples hard work, putting it on cart, and making money of it, now only want his own game released in this very 'protected' form.

Yes, there is some irony here.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

I converted it for myide 2. I know a lot of people would have it for myide 2. Do I spread that? No,

I appreciate that. I believe most of the people here are honorable and would not distribute games when asked not to. I also made the xex version available to freely download, so anyone can play the game without buying a cart. :)

• Like 3

Pacman Arcade (besides breaking the law, since Pacman is © and tm of Namco and must not be sold commercially without the okay coming from Namco) had been uploaded here at atari-age forum and due to request by its author TEP392 and maybe other Atarians it was removed.

Ooh, I didn't realise this. I wonder if Atari / Namco were involved in asking for it's removal (via TEP392)?

This is a shame really as it wouldn't harm the sales of the games on mobile phones or PC's/new consoles. If anything it would whet people's appetite to buy it in another format. Then again, if nothing was done, would this then harm their defence when approaching people/companies ripping them off on modern systems?

Ooh, I didn't realise this. I wonder if Atari / Namco were involved in asking for it's removal (via TEP392)?

This is a shame really as it wouldn't harm the sales of the games on mobile phones or PC's/new consoles. If anything it would whet people's appetite to buy it in another format. Then again, if nothing was done, would this then harm their defence when approaching people/companies ripping them off on modern systems?

The reason it was removed (I'm guessing) is probably on request of TEP392 since he is the creator of that conversion, and the other atarians are probably those people who already purchased it, and don't like it that it became free for download.

Besides, I find it very annoying that a few Atarians are asking again and again and again (without ever stopping) for digital downloads ... digital download ... "digital download, digital download" ... digital downloads ...

And I find it annoying when people blather "digital download" in any context-- because all downloads are digital. There's no such thing as a non-digital download. People who say "digital download" sound idiotic.

• Like 1

And I find it annoying when people blather "digital download" in any context-- because all downloads are digital. There's no such thing as a non-digital download. People who say "digital download" sound idiotic.

Reminds me of a phrase that I hate. "Designer clothes". Every clothes item has a designer.

I much prefer analog downloads, it's a scientific fact that you have more control over them.

• Like 6

Concerning Digital downloads or Cartridge versions... Are the plastic hulls (for the cartridge) not rare to find ? If there are not many plastic boxes around, you are limited to the amount of cartridges you want to produce... Digital downloads are unlimited.

Oh, and a sollution for lack of plastic boxes (cartridges) would be the use of a 3D printer/replicator.

Edited by Stormtrooper of Death

Video61 has a sufficient amount of Cartridge Shells to suit our future game needs.

The problem with 3D Printers / Replicators is that they take a long time to produce a cartridge. Looking at 2 hours per unit. Plus have to consider the cost of buying the replicator, plastic filaments, time, and power. Would push the price to where it is no longer cost effective. That is taking into account of current 3D printer pricing and capabilities. As with any technology, they may come down in time.