IGNORED

Making The ultimate videogame book

I'm 16 and I LOVE retro videogames so I wanna make a Videogame informational book that covers all consoles(I mean all!) from virtually forgotten consoles like the Casio PV-1000,RDI Halcyon,Roller Videocolor,Epoch Cassette Vision and Pc engine GT to the more commonly known consoles like the Nes,Atari 2600,Dreamcast,Genesis,PS1 to the newest console out(don't know when this will be realeased).So I'm asking you where should I get my information(becuse this Is definitely not coming out of my head and of course to gather and alter information In my own words),what extra should I include,price etc

I will include:

.A picture of each console

.10 or 20 games that defined the console(exception when the console has less than 10 or 20 games)

.notable features that were ahead of It's time(Snes and Genesis Xband,Intellivision Playcable,Dreamcast Internet right out of the box,Atari 2600 wireless joysticks,Atari 2600 Lestick controller,Game.com Internet and touch screen capabilities Lynx's unheard of graphics,Vetrex's Vector graphics etc)

. Short reviews of the consoles(I will allow anybody here If they want to, a short review of the console and their review be In the book

.In the back of the book,Videogame terms and historical figures and their definitions/Bio(full page bios and terms like Shump,JRPG,Blast processing!,mode 7 Nolan Bushnell,Shigeru Miyamoto,Gunpei Yokoi etc)

.Gems In the consoles library(Input will be accepted)

.proto consoles/games and significant and revolutionary games(The Supercharger's Dragon Stomper,The legend of Zelda,Sonic,Ocarina of time,Goldeneye 007,Doom,Death Race,Gran Turismo,Good luck charlie brown,Sonic Xtreme,Sega Neptune/Pluto,Atari Panther,Atari Video system X,Atari Comos etc.

.mysteries In the Videogame Industry(Atari Mexico landfill burials etc)

Would you buy a book with this type of Information and If so,how much?Any Input about what I should add to the project and your thoughts are appreciated!

Edited by xDragonWarrior

If it's done right, good quality pictures, good quality paper, good grammar (i have a book about konami games, that is hard to read because somebody used a pc to translate the text from spanish to english.)

I would probably buy it, if the price is right (50 dollar max).

Please note that a book like you describe ("all" consoles+games) exists, http://gameplanbooks.com/?tag=game-machines

I'm 16 and I LOVE retro videogames so I wanna make a Videogame informational book that covers all consoles(I mean all!)

It sounds like a great project, but be prepared....It's gonna be a really big book. (and you'll probably have it finished when you are 50!)

I'd suggest you start with a small collection of consoles first, like maybe 8, and write that as a book (volume 1). With 8 consoles and 10 game reviews for each, with pictures and other descriptive information, you'll easily have enough material for one book. Once you finish that, you'll know everything about the process and can make better decisions when attacking volume 2, 3, 4, 5...

• Like 2

If it's done right, good quality pictures, good quality paper, good grammar (i have a book about konami games, that is hard to read because somebody used a pc to translate the text from spanish to english.)I would probably buy it, if the price is right (50 dollar max).Please note that a book like you describe ("all" consoles+games) exists, http://gameplanbooks...g=game-machines

Not quite,found some systems that are not In the Index from a preview version(Maybe there are more Ideex pages for the book beats me)

but the Hartung Game mastee

Sega Pico

Takara/Bandai Video Challenger

Dina 2 and 1(clone that plays SG 1000 games)

Evo smart console

Capcom CPS Changer

Funtech Super A Can

1292 Advanced programmable Video System(there's the Radofin Aquarius but no 1292)

R-zone(there's the Game.com but not the R-Zone)

Gakken Compact Vision TV boy

Nichibutsu My Vision

Action Max

view-master interactive vision

Xavixport Zapit game wave

TecToy Zeebo are all not In there(If I'm not mistaken)Here Is the link to the index preview(tell me if you can find any of these because I sure can't)http://www.gameplanb...ple 240-243.pdfEven If there was only 1 not there,That's 1 that some person who wants to see the history of videogames doesn't know about but I'm just technical about everything.You say it's 10:100 i say it's 9:59 :-D

Edited by xDragonWarrior

Are you going to limit it to machines released in North America?

There are numerous obscure Japanese consoles that are completely unknown to Western audiences; good like finding enough information to write about them if you do not read Japanese (and have access to stacks of old game magazines).

What about other unusual systems, such as the Dendy, the NES clone sold mostly in Russia, or the interesting stuff developed locally in Brazil/South America?

I would persoanlly be interested in a book covering these little-known systems, mainly because there is so very little information available online in English. I would, however, want something significantly more detailed than just a rehash of Wikipedia articles, etc.

• Like 1

Are you going to limit it to machines released in North America?

There are numerous obscure Japanese consoles that are completely unknown to Western audiences; good like finding enough information to write about them if you do not read Japanese (and have access to stacks of old game magazines).

What about other unusual systems, such as the Dendy, the NES clone sold mostly in Russia, or the interesting stuff developed locally in Brazil/South America?

I would personally be interested in a book covering these little-known systems, mainly because there is so very little information available online in English. I would, however, want something significantly more detailed than just a rehash of Wikipedia articles, etc.

I want to do all I can find(Japanese and US consoles aswell as anywhere else) and will try to find as many as I can possibly find.probably Won't include clones or the version of said console In different areas of the world like the Hyundai comboy/super Comboy(the Korean Nes/SNES),Samsung Gam*boy(Korean SMS) etc( regional consoles like the Famicom and mega drive will be there). because there are alot of them, especially the clones(shitload of Nes clones).Main focus are the original consoles(systems that plays it's own games) and add ons(and maybe some unique clones as far as the console list goes) and Videogame123,I will do only the more significant pong consoles and some unique ones

Edited by xDragonWarrior

Now that is what I call enthusiasm.

If I were to make a suggestion/request, I'd like to read a gaming book that not only covers the history of gaming, but also has a personal side to it -- testimonials from hardcore fans that lived through the various eras and recounts from the cultures surrounding these classic games. Something that goes beyond facts and figures and expresses the experience (as much as mere words and pictures can) and persuades readers to seek these games out for themselves.

And yeah, leave the clones and knockoffs out. And I'd probably limit it to North America too. Otherwise you'll exhaust both yourself and your readers.

• Like 1

If I were to make a suggestion/request, I'd like to read a gaming book that not only covers the history of gaming, but also has a personal side to it -- testimonials from hardcore fans that lived through the various eras and recounts from the cultures surrounding these classic games. Something that goes beyond facts and figures and expresses the experience (as much as mere words and pictures can) and persuades readers to seek these games out for themselves.

And yeah, leave the clones and knockoffs out. And I'd probably limit it to North America too. Otherwise you'll exhaust both yourself and your readers.

Hey don't forget us Europeans.

Testimonials from gamers that have grew up playing the console and have a real nostalgia for the console will be a good Ideal(4-5 will be good).If it's called the Ultimate history to videogames(or whatever it's called) and leave out Japanese consoles like the Playdia,2800,PV-1000 then it's not Ultimate,it's close to ultimate.I don't want a book that shows half of the videogame consoles,I want to show THEM ALL.Staying up all day and night to get this book published:CHALLENGE ACCEPTED :thumbsup:

If it's done right, good quality pictures, good quality paper, good grammar (i have a book about konami games, that is hard to read because somebody used a pc to translate the text from spanish to english.)

I would probably buy it, if the price is right (50 dollar max).

Please note that a book like you describe ("all" consoles+games) exists, http://gameplanbooks...g=game-machines

I grabbed a copy of the updated version of this book and think it's quite good. I was a little surprised to find, though, that the Bally Astrocade barely got a mention (about 8 lines) in the back of the book - I would have expected it deserved at least a full page like a lot of the other obscure systems in this book. Also conspicuously absent are any of the Coleco Telstar systems, especially the Arcade (with its' 4 triangle shaped carts) and the Combat console.

I grabbed a copy of the updated version of this book and think it's quite good. I was a little surprised to find, though, that the Bally Astrocade barely got a mention (about 8 lines) in the back of the book - I would have expected it deserved at least a full page like a lot of the other obscure systems in this book. Also conspicuously absent are any of the Coleco Telstar systems, especially the Arcade (with its' 4 triangle shaped carts) and the Combat console.

It's not that strange when you know that the original book is a German release. Since the astrocade was not available in Europe. So it is not a big well know system here.