IGNORED

When was the Atari 800 available in Europe?

slx

I got my 800 for Christmas in 1982 and always thought that was the first year it was available in Europe (probably because I can't imagine not wanting and getting one had it been available for Christmas 1981 ;)). Reading up on Atari history it struck me as odd that it would have taken about two years from the first US sales to the machines being available in Europe although it would explain why so few 400/800s are around and why "Atari 800" usually means "800XL" here.

As I don't really trust my memory on this I'd like to ask if anyone knows when the 800 was actually available in Europe. I already asked this on the ABBUC board and some people recall reviews in late 1981 magazines and a sweepstakes with a 400 prize in late 1981.

I don't really recall if I saw a real machine in action (e.g. at a computer fair) before I got mine or just pored over catalogs and magazines.

No need to reply again if you already answered on the ABBUC forum ;)

From the things I've seen it was, but it was considered too pricey for most people. During the XL period, things were more even and the XE was probably more popular abroad while the ST and Amiga gained popularity in the US.

• 2 months later...

The 800 i don't know.

I would say the 400 (PAL) landed in France (country of the SECAM) between Christmas 1982 and March 1983 !

Here you can see what is probably the first review in "Tilt" #4 (March 1983) : http://download.aban...1983-03-04).jpg

According to the journalist there was only a few games available in France : http://download.aban...1983-03-04).jpg

...Compare the "Atari 400" software/games prices with other systems on the same page and you'll understand the poor succes of this computer here :)

And for the Secam 600XL: January 1984 http://download.abandonware.org/magazines/Tilt/tilt_numero009/TILT%20-%20n%B009%20-%20janvier%20fevrier%201984%20-%20page020%20et%20page021.jpg

Edited by Marsupilami

This is an interesting question. I was living in the UK at the time, and my parents bought me a 400. Unfortunately, I don't remember what year it was (or even time of year) but I do recall that there was a huge delay in getting the machine, and when it finally arrived, there was no BASIC cartridge because those hadn't arrived in the UK yet, so for the first month all I could do was play my Star Raiders cartridge.

...Compare the "Atari 400" software/games prices with other systems on the same page and you'll understand the poor succes of this computer here :)

Merci pour les scans. It's interesting to read how the French journalists wrote about the Ataris.

If I recall the exchange rates correctly, the French prices were about what we had to pay im Austria. Nevertheless I'm glad I talked my father out of a Colour Genie....