IGNORED

If ET was redone...

Classic Pac

So it's a drainage pit in the movie, it's still an excavated hole (AKA : A pit) and when ET winds up in one, It's bad news and he has to get out or he'll die.

Jeeze. You guys never had to use your own imagination when playing Atari 2600 games I'm guessing? :P

• Like 1

So it's a drainage pit in the movie, it's still an excavated hole (AKA : A pit) and when ET winds up in one, It's bad news and he has to get out or he'll die.

Jeeze. You guys never had to use your own imagination when playing Atari 2600 games I'm guessing? :P

That's a bit of a stretch... But yes, I imagined that the game took place in an iron mine! :grin:

Howard Scott Warshaw never said this in public, but a few of us in the know understand that the pits in E.T. were put there for a reason. He wanted us to hate the pits. He believed that our hate would subconsciously transfer to the damage that a lot of mining is doing to our planet. Howard Scott Warshaw knew that millions of kids would play E.T., so this was his chance to spread his environmentalist message to as many people as possible and make them feel it down to the core. If we hate pits with a passion in the game, we might hate pits with a passion in real life and finally do something to protect the planet from horrible men who gouge ugly holes into the earth.

Just wait. Some doofus will read what I posted and actually think I was serious. You'll end up reading a version of it in a future article or paper that someone will do for school.

I just added this crap to my E.T. page:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-et.html

Scroll down to the section called "The Hidden Environmentalist Message in E.T." if you want to see it.

• Like 2

I did. I went outside a lot and smacked my friends around with big sticks. lol :D

Smack with sticks, and pelt with dirt clods... the acceptable pass-time for children before "violent" video games. :grin:

Adults often forget how rough children "play" - when we played flag football, we'd tackle the player (pig-pile if at all possible), then rip the flag off them as they lay stunned/hurt.

:twisted:

E.T. is infamous for the collision detection issues with the pit holes. It used to frustrate me back in the day. But like any game, it needs a chance. Once you play it for a while, and if you know how to play it... it's pretty cool.

But to answer the OP's question, I would consider making it a similar game, only incorporate more movie elements and different view angles. Maybe have ET's ship land in the woods, as he explores the woods collecting plants, he confronts the scientists. He runs away towards the ship but the ship takes off without him. This will at least establish the story for the game. Then we have ET walking around finding hidden Reece's Pieces, which lead him to Elliot's house. Now we have ET and Elliott working together to find pieces for his transmitter. Via BMX bike, they ride around looking for hidden parts of the transmitter. He must find them while being careful not to interact with the scientists. If a scientist touches ET, he will lose a piece of the transmitter. Then the action goes back to the woods where ET and Elliot are being chased by the scientists. Then in another level, ET is able to make the bike fly to avoid tree tops and birds. Back on the ground Elliot and ET are still on the bike avoiding dips and rocks on the woodsy terrain. Also owls swoop down and try to knock Elliot of of his bike --- you will need to dodge them. Then finally they reach the landing spot where they assemble the transmitter. Once the transmitter starts working, The ship comes and picks up ET. Before ET gets in the ship, he says a final good bye to Elliot while pointing to his chest with his glowing finger tip. Each ending can be different depending on how long it takes to complete the game.

He can in a way. He can stop falling in and float right back out.

http://youtu.be/zh4U3BwlTcY

That's how you play E.T.

This is even described in the basic manual, for Warshaw's sake.

Took me five minutes to learn back then (at age 13) and never had any trouble in playing E.T. since.

How easy can it be?

Besides that: the pits can be useful to escape from the humans.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Suggestions in this order.

1. Play as Elliot not as ET.

2. Side scrolling gathering racing game on a bike (Food fight,dolphin etc)

3. No large pits. We are not on the moon.

This would give you a quick and easy to program game that would meet a short deadline and be enjoyable by the general public without reading the instructions.

Let me say it again. Raiders sucks infinity worse than E.T.

Did I mention that Raiders of the Lost Ark sucks?

#trendy

#blackholeofsuckness

I enjoyed Raiders so much more as a child. You played as Indiana Jones and this was cool. You had a whip and a gun.

I hated ET at first play. You played as ET and no one thought this was cool. You had a flower and a phone parts.

As starstruck children we all wanted to roleplay as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo or Indiana Jones. NO ONE wanted to be ET.