IGNORED

what do I need to load Homebrews?

walter_J64bit

I have a tool called Mttty.exe that works with these USB-dongles even at the special Lynx speeds 62500 and 31250 bauds.

I wrote it for Windows 3.1 but as I did not use any toolkits it appears to work even on Win 7 and on Linux over wine. Lol!

The FT-232 chips should show up as COM5 to COM8

To use this for downloading you just choose Transfer->Send file (Lynx).

Then you choose your homebrew mygame.o or mygame.com

--

Karri

Mttty.zip

Edited by karri

How is the connection from the PC to the Lynx established for the original CM2? I mean, it doesn't have a piece of "listening" code like the BLL based carts, or does it? So, how can you overwrite RAM memory in the Lynx from the cable?

You only send the level to the Lynx. CM II detect it automatical.

But you need a PC with Win95 or Win98. The level editor runs with other Win Systems, but sending levels is only possible with Win95/98.

For details please read the manual from the level editor.

Edited by Lynxman

But you need a PC with Win95 or Win98. The level editor runs with other Win Systems, but sending levels is only possible with Win95/98.

For details please read the manual from the level editor.

The problem will not be the win95 or win98 as there are plenty of virtualization options. We're back at the cable issue: anyone willing to sell or make and sell one to me?

Is the Level editor available for unlucky people that do not have CM2BT?

Here's the USB version that Wookie created:-

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/166164-new-usb-serial-to-comlynx-adapter/

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=171773

FT232RL - checked with Farnell, these are around £4. I still need to find somewhere that makes PCBs, if I can get that sorted I could get a batch of these made up.

I guess I missed this one at the page wrap.

Sign me up for a couple, Gadget!

I will see how I get on with the first, if that works I can do a batch if anyone wants one. Not sure on exact cost yet, the PCB is around £6.00 ish, then we need a comlynx cable and a USB cable at the other end, I guess people could source their own USB male to male cable, they are like £1 with free postage so the 2nd most expensive part is the comlynx cable. I've ordered 2 (I wanted a spare anyway) at £3.99 each, but from what I remember its just a 3.5mm (or is it 2.5mm) stereo jack to a socket and another jack isn't it, so in theory you could just have it coming out to a 3.5mm stereo jack which would be cheaper (< £1.00 probably). I wanted mine to have both maile and female ends so its represents a normal comlynx connection but I bet i will never use it.

Thanks for that app Karri, and thanks Lynxman for the info.

That mttty.exe app give an error - Error 2 CreateFile.

Is there anything I need to press on a BLL loader game in order to get it to 'listen' on comlynx?

EDIT: Also concerned that RX and TX are joined on the Lynx, I've fed this line into both RX and TX on the PCB but this means its echoing what it outputs, but I guess the Lynx is OK with that?

Edited by GadgetUK

No.

But depending on teh cartridge you are using its only active in a specific screen.

BLL: Always, speed selectable

T-TRIS: Main menu only, speed fixed to 9600

Lynx Reloaded: Main menu only, speed selectable

Alpine Games: Read manual

Championship Rally: Read manual

PATW: Loader menu, speed selectable

most homebrews where the developer forgot to disable the loader: always, speed fixed to 9600

Edited by sage

Thanks. Struggling with this... Do you know the default baud, data bits, stop bits, partity etc? I've assume its 8, 1, NONE. Tried many different baud rates and not getting anywhere. The nearest I got was with an EPROM debugger Karri uploaded a while back - I managed to corrupt the screen uploading a .o file so clearly its uploading but not sure about the baud etc.

Championship Rally mentions nothing in the manual about BLL. I've tried T-Tris and there is no 'options' screen as such, it automatically goes into the game even before you start a game.

Hello!

Thanks. Struggling with this... Do you know the default baud, data bits, stop bits, partity etc? I've assume its 8, 1, NONE. Tried many different baud rates and not getting anywhere. The nearest I got was with an EPROM debugger Karri uploaded a while back - I managed to corrupt the screen uploading a .o file so clearly its uploading but not sure about the baud etc. ...

Parity of the Lynx is always EVEN.

You can try out my old Windows-based uploading too, perhaps it still works on modern Windows-versions. It comes with sources that might be of some use as well:

http://www.mdgames.de/pc2lynx.zip

Kind regards

Matthias

Thanks, still not working in XP =/ I edited the win.ini as described but it gives an error. Not sure if it's to do with the cable being on COM16 which is quite a high number. It gives 'Error -1'. Karris complains about a missing file on CreateFile - not sure if its a missing DLL on his or something. I've seen the C source for pc2lynx thanks so I might write a .NET app or something. I think I have comms because I can see bytes coming from Lynx games that use comlynx - just not having any joy trying to send a binary. I've tried using hterm and other terminal apps to send a file but that doesn't work, I am guessing there are commands required in order to dictate where the binary is loaded and launched etc?

Agreed it will be useful.

For anyone looking back at this in future, this is what's needed from a protocol perspective:-

-------------------

- The ComLynx-Loader wants :

start-sequence : $81,"P" ; command : load program

init-sequence : LO(Start),HI(Start) ; start address = dest.

LO((Len-10) XOR $FFFF),HI((Len-10) XOR $FFFF)

; and len of data

Xmit-sequence : .... ; data

checksum : none at all !!

----------------

Taken from BLL loader.doc.

I've got it working ;) I've modified the .NET app I use to flash my other flash card, so it now does my flash card and the comlynx BLL protocol.

The USB to comlynx cable is a success =) The default 9600 i've tested with is slow as hell... I need to get it working out the start address from the .o file tomorrow, that will only take a few mins though - atm it's hard coded to 0x0200 in order to test Lode Runner and that worked fine :)

USB ComLynx:-

Zeus (Comms client I threw together to use with my flash card and comlynx BLL) - Note: The protocol of my flash card will be different than other flashcards out there, so i've no idea if that part would work on other peoples flash cards - recommendation is NOT to try it when I release it. Just use the comlynx bit.

comlynx.jpgzeus.jpg

And for the record, in Championship Rally the loader is available on the screen after you've chosen 'TOURNAMENT', then 'New Game' - The screen should show 'TOURNAMENT' with Year, Season and Points listed. You can upload at 9600 on that screen only as far as I can tell.

Edited by GadgetUK

^ That board has a micro USB connector btw, which are pretty common. If you have Lynxmans flash card you will already have that USB to micro USB cable. I am looking to see if I can find a suitable housing for the PCB. Worst case I might have to put a cable tie around the end of the PCB to crimp the cable and leave it 'open top'.

£6.40 for the PCB, approx £1.00 for a 2.5mm plug, and maybe £2 for wire, solder and assembly. Looking at around £9.40, or 11.03 euros, or $14.70.

Easy enough to make this yourself. The only annoying bit is that PCB comes with 3 jumper pads underneath to determine the output voltage levels - 3.3v or 5v. And the pads are like 0.25mm squared so you can hardly see them never mind try and bridge 2 with solder. It took me a good 15 minutes to get a solder bridge across the correct 2 pads.

Obviously postage as well so its not mega cheap. Its probably possible to get a cheaper PCB off EBAY.

£3.65 seems to be lowest cost for the chip PCB.

Edited by GadgetUK

Hi, I have been sailing for a week so did not see this.

You have to do a File->Open on some COM: port. If the device does not exist or does not support the desired baud rate you get this FileCreate error.

Start by choosing the COM port. Modern laptops have none. The USB dongles usually start at COM5.

Another thing is that you can buy cables where the electronics is inside the USB connector from FTDI for £16.95.

post-2099-0-33082800-1371206734.jpg