IGNORED

Onyx - Brazilian Coleco Proto - Found!

TomBrazil

Hey guys, this is interesting stuff. My friend Marcus Garret, here in Brazil, has just put his hands on this:

post-6332-0-71900400-1370909645_thumb.jpg

This is the rather elusive ONYX ColecoVision prototype from Microdigital - the same company who made the Onyx Jr, the only Atari with pause in the world, millitary theme, etc.

History goes: last weekend, a Microdigital ex-employee, when cleaning his attic, came across this piece of treasure, and gave to Marcus, who's a dedicated researcher (he wrote 2 books about Atari). At this moment, nobody knows for sure if the proto works, but probably yes. Several pirate carts were found too.

You guys can check all the pictures here:

https://plus.google....=CPKM7taYm6vHBA

Edited by TomBrazil
  • Like 12

There is a TimePilot 2 written on one of the boards. Does that mean it is a second timepilot or a program nobody has seen?

Very unlikely that it is anything other than the Coleco released version of Time Pilot... afterall, it is a pirate cart. It could be hacked as well and that is why the name read TP 2.

While a Super Time Pilot was planned for the ADAM, there were no plans for a new CV only version.

ED: after looking at all the pics, the Time Pilot in question are just the two rom chips that make up the Time Pilot game, you know, chip 1 and chip 2. Nothing more.

Edited by NIAD

Great stuff... I really feel bad for NIAD tho....how much money is it going to cost you to get your hands on that stuff? icon_surprised.gif

I really don't care much for obtaining the foreign clone systems, that's why I never bothered obtaining the SpliceVision... and I have had a few opportunities. If I could obtain some of these foreign clones at the right price, then I would definitely have to consider it.

I really don't care much for obtaining the foreign clone systems, that's why I never bothered obtaining the SpliceVision... and I have had a few opportunities. If I could obtain some of these foreign clones at the right price, then I would definitely have to consider it.

I honestly expected to discover you had the prototypes to these prototypes already icon_biggrinwink.gif

• Like 2

Actually NIAD has all the original colecovision programmers locked up in his basement.

He always says he found "Documents" describing what happened way back when.

:twisted:

Yeah, they are a motley bunch as you could imagine after all these years. The worst is, I thought I was all done with diapers a few years ago after my daughter figured things out, but now with all these old guys locked up in my basement, I have been dealing with diapers all over again... the adult variety! :skull:

Documents? I don't have no stinken documents! We all know what happened... it was a little ole' computer that went by the name ADAM. Or at least that's what everyone says. :razz:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks like an exact clone of colecos board, I wonder how they pause the system. That is so cool that this was found and is working. Incredible! I hope it is preserved and kept safe. Hope to see more videos to! Cheers :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

• 1 year later...

I'm the new "owner" of one of the prototypes along with several cartridges, PCBs and related items. Not long ago we prepared a "dossier" on the Onyx for our Brazilian Jogos 80 magazine. Unfortunately, it's in Portuguese. Anyway, it's available for download here:

http://garrettimus.org/Jogos80/jogos80-12.pdf

capa-12.jpeg

Eduardo Luccas, a friend of mine who owns the other proto, transferred the Onyx's BIOS to a file for emulator use and preservation:

http://www.luccas.com.br/index.php/downloads/category/12-video-games

tela-onyx-1.png

By the way, I'm producing/directing a documentary on the official arrival of video games in Brazil back in 1983. We're about to interview the engineer from Microdigital, the company that produced the protos, who did the donation. We're sure he's got some nice stories to tell us!

Edited by Marcus Vinicius Garrett Chiado
  • Like 6