IGNORED

Genesis Portable 80 in 1, any good?

Anyone have one of these portable Sega Genesis systems? http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Portable-Player-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0094H8H78/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1371002625&sr=1-1&keywords=sega+80+games

I have seen these and console at Sams Club for $38.

Any good, is it woth buying? How is the quality when played on the TV? It says that the games are expandable via SD card, is it normal ROMs or custom/encoded?

Thanks

This looks like a new version... This clone pops from time to time, with more or less included games, sometime with no SD port.

It take regular ROMs. Unless this model use better emulation, there is some issues with some games that will simply not play (this one seems better, because older versions wouldn't play Street of Rage, and SOR is on the list of included games), and as usual with many Megadrive clones, the sound emulation is far from perfect.

The display quality on a TV is rather correct, on the other hand. And in stereo.

This is the unit released last Fall alongside a console with a cartridge port (But no SD slot). Emulation is improved over earlier models from AtGames including the audio, but it's still not perfect. Both have been discussed around here.

http://videogamecritic.com/vgc_genportable.htm

http://videogamecritic.com/vgc_genclassic.htm

For $30 more I can get a Dingoo with better quality Genesis as well as other console games.No SD card slot so any games not on the console you wanna, you're outta luck.Still good nevertheless.

I have 2 Dingoo's and GP2X Wiz, the Wiz's Genesis emulator is great, it can even play Virtua Racing flawlessly.

Yes I have one with all the accessories I will tell you what I think

First the EPIC FAIL: Saves are not supported. Saves Are Not Supported. SAVES ARE NOT SUPPORTED.

Interesting that Wiley Wars, a game which NEEDs save files, is so heavily promoted on the box. Fortunately there are tons of good games that don't need save function so it still gets a lot of use from me. Audio from the internal speaker is dreadful (and it is easy to cover the speaker with a thumb). Headphones make it a little better. I recommend plugging into a TV if possible, but it is still not quite right.

It takes an SD card that can be loaded with ROMs. For me this means it is a portable Blue Sphere machine. Freaking awesome IMO. Form factor and feel are excellent and the screen is very good. Battery is questionable but I purchased the separate AC adapter from AT Games website for mine.

It is so cheap that if you are a Genesis fan it is a quick and easy way to get your collection mobile. The SD card function is what sold me. Non-Genesis games that are included are unspeakably terrible. I thought "how bad can they be" before I bought it. Then I tried playing through them and found out. Action 52 is a masterpiece by comparison. It was a good buy and has attracted comments from my friends who are less interested in retro-gaming (they still like playing with my games though lol) but it is definitely not without its faults.

• Like 2

I have 2 Dingoo's and GP2X Wiz, the Wiz's Genesis emulator is great, it can even play Virtua Racing flawlessly.

I own a wiz as well. It emulates the genesis, nes, gameboy, and gba all really well. Game park holdings also made the caanoo which increased the ram and added tilt controls.

Anybody have any advice on the best handheld emulator system? I imagine there must be a thread somewhere but my searches didn't return anything real useful. Just reading around my best options seem to be a dingoo 320/330, or a PSP.

Oh and advice on a good place to order one from is appreciated.

Edited by GoldenWheels

A jalibroken PSP 2000 is the best. YES many people have experienced slow performance with SNES emulation but it's resolvable by finding the right emulator and perhaps setting the speed to 333mhz.

The screen is a big factor. Component out is good when not on the go. Although most TVs have a huge black border so you get a smaller screen than you'd expect.

Unfortunately used PSPs are potluck. I've gotten several used and either it's cherry or something is broke. My last one can't eject memory sticks :P

I own a wiz as well. It emulates the genesis, nes, gameboy, and gba all really well. Game park holdings also made the caanoo which increased the ram and added tilt controls.

I also have a Wiz. I almost sold it a while back, but I'm glad I didn't, since with the release of 8Blitter a few months ago, it finally has good Game Gear support (I have to admit, I was very disappointed when I found out the Game Gear emulator was so terrible after I bought it).

A jalibroken PSP 2000 is the best. YES many people have experienced slow performance with SNES emulation but it's resolvable by finding the right emulator and perhaps setting the speed to 333mhz.

The screen is a big factor. Component out is good when not on the go. Although most TVs have a huge black border so you get a smaller screen than you'd expect.

Unfortunately used PSPs are potluck. I've gotten several used and either it's cherry or something is broke. My last one can't eject memory sticks :P

Thanks! Appreciate the model # as well, I didnt' even realize there were dif models until is started reading up on this (I don't do much portable). I've never jailbroken anything but reading up on it it can't be that hard...I guess.

I have PSP3000, and is not jailbroken running original firmware v6.39.

You can use HBL (Half Byte Loader) to run emulators, or just find signed versions and put it on the memory stick and run it like that.

the C64, A2600, and Lynks emulators run very well.

Anybody have any advice on the best handheld emulator system? I imagine there must be a thread somewhere but my searches didn't return anything real useful. Just reading around my best options seem to be a dingoo 320/330, or a PSP.

Oh and advice on a good place to order one from is appreciated.

The PSP is the best way to go.Not only can it emulate lots of retro consoles pretty good but it can also do the PS1 decent and play PSP games and is around the same price range.

The inability to save is a deal breaker. Also, you can find unbranded versions of this on asian distributor sites for less.

Really?

Out of dozens of Genesis cartridges I think only Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles save in my collection and perhaps a couple of sports titles.

Eliminate the sports library like most playing the system today would and I'm under the impression that the Genesis/MD games that can save is pretty short.

Edited by Atariboy

• 6 months later...

Really?

Out of dozens of Genesis cartridges I think only Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles save in my collection and perhaps a couple of sports titles.

Eliminate the sports library like most playing the system today would and I'm under the impression that the Genesis/MD games that can save is pretty short.

RPG's such as "Phantasy Star II" have save functions.