IGNORED

Spooky Mansion (Early demo)

Rabbit 2600

If I may make a suggestion, perhaps try to vary the difficulty by varying the way that the different AI operate. For instance:

A charging enemy. Currently, it seems the enemies all move towards the player by dividing the distance between the two. Maybe have an AI type that, instead of dividing the distance between the AI and the player, have the AI copy the x and y location of the player into variables, then rapidly divide the distance between the AI and that x/y location. Then, if the player didn't keep moving, they'd get rapidly overtaken. Best to do this after a few seconds, so the player has a bit of a chance.

Or maybe an AI that fires a fast shot at the player? Basically the same as the charging enemy described above, except a missile would charge towards the player instead of the AI, allowing the AI to continue to hone in the way all the other AI do.

Does that make sense? And I'm sure there are other types of AI that could be added, though the charging/shooting just seemed the most obvious off the top of my head.

Also, I'm still not sure I understand what the player sees upon dying. What is it supposed to be?

Yep, the rooms are always random. The mansion is cursed after all. It does everything it can to stop you from leaving.

Okay, I'll speed up the guy a bit in the next release =)

If you speed up the guy, don't you kind of negate the point of having just made the enemies faster? I suppose that it could be more of a reflex challenge rather than a slower, strategized leading the AI around in circles to find a way past them, but be careful. If the player moves too quickly, it may mean that each room is being beaten in only 3-4 seconds instead of the 8-12 or so it can currently take (just a guess). If the rooms are beaten too quickly, the sheer quantity of rooms may begin to become tiresome faster.

IMO, better for each room to leave a lasting impact. I thought the timing on your 7 enemies bin (that is, the amount of time it took to beat a room) was about perfect.

Maybe it's good in the 0.5.1 one as well, but since the enemies are faster, they would pinch me in much easier and I found it difficult to lead them around the way I had in the past, so I started just entering a room, seeing if it was "beatable," then walking out and trying another randomized room if it looked too difficult.

Also, the collision detection still needs to be redone, unless it's intended that touching a wall often sends you flying around the room, often right into enemies.

Good points Cybearg. I'll see if I can do some variety in the AI. And yes, I need to remake the collision detection. The gameover screen is supposed to be the face of a ghost. I'll remake it into something better.

Thank you theloon. And yes, I know about the safezone. It's a bug, and I don't know how to fix it at the moment.

I'd say work on getting good collision detection, but keep that great hand idea for a few rooms. Maybe have it happen at random. Just make sure to telegraph that the walls are dangerous--maybe have the hand skirt the walls, following the player, to give the player an idea to keep away.

It's coming along really well. I love how you exit a mansion and enter another. My only complaint right now is cheap deaths. No matter how careful I am, eventually I will exit a room and appear right on top of a ghost/monster in the next room. You'll want to make sure that the enemies aren't allowed to appear in the same place that you appear when changing rooms.

• 3 weeks later...

Dissabled collision for now. Working on remaking it. In the meantime. What about randomized colors for the ghosts. Yay or Nay?

DOWNLOAD - Spooky Mansion V.0.5.2.bin

This is getting awsome!!! but ive noticed somthing that i ran into in my game, in the multisprite kernel player0x is actually -8 pixels or so, an easy fix is to make a variable=player0x+8!

If you stand to the right of the ghosts they never hit you. by adding the variable it fixes it