IGNORED

Which games would you have pictured on the Jaguar and why?

Gamer888

I don't want to say too much at this point, as already hit a dead end with 1 contact who worked on an awful Jaguar game, who's never come back to me since we 1st established contact, but i have taken steps, as it were, to look into finding out just why certain games on Jaguar arrived in the state they did.

As always, soon as the info is 'in', i'll share it on here.

Another good "What If..." is Atari Games being in charge of consoles as well as arcade. A lot of smart and talented people worked at Atari Games, and they made some really fun games. I could have seen updated games like I-Robot 2000, Stun Runner War, Steel Talons Combat, Road Blaster Racing, Club Drivin'. Games like Primal Rage, Area 51 and T-Mek would have been exclusives and I'm sure they could have tamed the buggy beast that was/is the Jaguar with tools and work arounds for all its problems. Check out Jed Margolin web page: http://www.jmargolin.com/ He help program Star Wars, Hard Drivin', and others. A good read, especially the Atari Vax Mail. Shows some of the in's and out's of Atari at that time.

• Like 2

Another good "What If..." is Atari Games being in charge of consoles as well as arcade. A lot of smart and talented people worked at Atari Games, and they made some really fun games. I could have seen updated games like I-Robot 2000, Stun Runner War, Steel Talons Combat, Road Blaster Racing, Club Drivin'. Games like Primal Rage, Area 51 and T-Mek would have been exclusives and I'm sure they could have tamed the buggy beast that was/is the Jaguar with tools and work arounds for all its problems. Check out Jed Margolin web page: http://www.jmargolin.com/ He help program Star Wars, Hard Drivin', and others. A good read, especially the Atari Vax Mail. Shows some of the in's and out's of Atari at that time.

No doubt. It's too bad they didn't start out with the 7800.

Adding further insult to injury is that Atari Games/Midway attempted to purchase the remains of Atari Corp. From what I heard from ex-Atari Games people who were at the Sunnyvale Atari Party last year, they tried to buy the assets from Hasbro. There was supposedly an agreement but Hasbro backed out at the last minute and instead sold everything to our much-loved Infogrames leading us to the current situation. Of course, Midway went bankrupt themselves later and all of their assets are now owned - once again - by [Time] Warner, the entity that just can't quit owning ex-Atari assets.

I put Time in brackets because it's silent. They should just revert back to the Warner Communications name since that's the entity that controls the shots plus the Time publications were spun off last year.

Assassins Creed, using the highlander engine. Just because. :P

lol that would be interesting =)

I simply wish they would have finished NATIVE on the Jag.

I purchased the finished Dreamcast version, however there is something special about playing it on the Jag as it was initially being developed for it.

lol that would be interesting =)

I simply wish they would have finished NATIVE on the Jag.

I purchased the finished Dreamcast version, however there is something special about playing it on the Jag as it was initially being developed for it.

Yes, I have the songbird published version of Native (found on ebay.) The graphics are beautiful but the no sound kills it for me... It also does a weird intermittent flashing thing on the screen. This polished up and done would have been amazing though!!

Yes, I have the songbird published version of Native (found on ebay.) The graphics are beautiful but the no sound kills it for me... It also does a weird intermittent flashing thing on the screen. This polished up and done would have been amazing though!!

Native is the PERFECT example of what would have actually blown people away if the Jaguar's games looked and acted like that in its first year. Heck, if Native and Zero 5 made it out on Jaguar CD at launch instead of some of the dreck that appeared on there I bet people would have a different opinion of the system today. It's just crazy the quality gap between what we actually got and clearly could have gotten when it might have actually made even a small difference.

• Like 2

Can we get this finally CJ :)

I wouldn't dream of upsetting another Jaguar developer, especially such a knowledgeable, generous and prolific once with so many completed projects under his belt. Sound like he's got this one just about wrapped up, too.

• Like 1

I wouldn't dream of upsetting another Jaguar developer, especially such a knowledgeable, generous and prolific once with so many completed projects under his belt. Sound like he's got this one just about wrapped up, too.

Look, we don't want to hear any lip outta you. Just do it alright.

• Like 1

Would have loved to see Virtua Fighter, because I like the game and the genre. But instead we got a crippled Fight for Life. lol Would have liked to have 007 Goldeneye & 007 The World Is Not Enough, from Nintendo 64 fame. Also, wanted Super Sprint, but now we have that thanks to Cyrano Jones! ;-) And a lot more fun games, with less of a steep learning curve, that had the playability of Sega and Nintendo games.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Since i liked Aliens vs Predator, i would have loved to see a Jaguar take on another VS franchise... Robocop VS The Terminator!!!!

The 16 bit versions of Rocobop vs Terminator were pretty nice. In the case of the Genesis game, i would say really good. Hell, even the Sega Maser System version was pretty decent.

I would have liked a FPS like AVP take on the RVST franchise, but a port of the awesome Genesis version with Native quality graphics would have been awesome too.

• Like 1

This is what Atari_Owl had to say about it:

Its difficult to understand why Highlander looks so primitive - there's really no reason why it had to.

Just to clarify

My comment is based on my own 3D engine and also a much later look at the code of Highlander, in which some extremely bad coding decisions were made.

• 2 months later...

Battle Chess (Interplay) has been 'listed' as a Lost Jaguar title, least we know what became of at least 1 Lost version which was officially signed up, the CDi version:

http://cdii.blogspot...s-cd-i-and.html

Sounds like a bloody nightmare.Awful code, Interplay not at all interested in the project etc etc...

I'd assume any planned Jaguar conversion would have been treated similarly by Interplay and had the same resources to work from....

Next one is far too vague (and i emailed chap who runs site to see what sources were used, but his email does'nt seem to work any more), but Heart Of Darkness, supposed to of been something Atari wanted for Jag CD:

http://cdii.blogspot.co.uk/2007/06/cd-imagine-7-heart-of-darkness.html

A Virgin Spokesperson, a CDi Playtester etc, nothing from any actual coders, unlike previous cases (Battle Chess+Creature Shock) so not sure what to make of this claim...

Edited by Lost Dragon

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (self explanatory)

X-Men Arcade (6 Player via 2 team taps)

TMNT Arcade (4 player via team tap)

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (remastered)

Castlevania: The Bloodletting (stretch)

Doom 2 (obvious)

Heretic (definitely do-able)

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (via CD?)

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (self explanatory)

X-Men Arcade (6 Player via 2 team taps)

TMNT Arcade (4 player via team tap)

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (remastered)

Castlevania: The Bloodletting (stretch)

Doom 2 (obvious)

Heretic (definitely do-able)

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (via CD?)

Im happy to report my friend that Stormworks Interactive is working on a port of Heretic for the Jaguar,hope to hear more news about it this year.

One of the games that i have envisioned for the JAG is Area 51 on Jaguar CD

Im happy to report my friend that Stormworks Interactive is working on a port of Heretic for the Jaguar,hope to hear more news about it this year.

One of the games that i have envisioned for the JAG is Area 51 on Jaguar CD

I was really excited about the Heretic port that was being worked on but slipped into a depression when the project went quiet and all posts disappeared from retrovideogamer.co.uk. I hope this one sees fruition. I'm a big fan of Heretic. LAN partied that game to death, back in the day. Hope it shows up with networking support

I was really excited about the Heretic port that was being worked on but slipped into a depression when the project went quiet and all posts disappeared from retrovideogamer.co.uk. I hope this one sees fruition. I'm a big fan of Heretic. LAN partied that game to death, back in the day. Hope it shows up with networking support

I think it's still being worked on.

http://www.stormworksinteractive.com/projects.html

I wouldn't hold your breath about networking support.

Edited by JagChris

Hearing mention of Klax, what happened to VladR? I almost forgot about him.

He abandoned his Jaguar projects to go work on the Falcon for whatever reason was convenient.

Sooner or later he will bail on his Falcon projects for whatever reason is convenient.