IGNORED

Rumor: XBoxOne to abandon DRM and Used Games policies

Necron99

Glancing over the comments on those blog posts, Xbots all seem utterly convinced that we will get Steam-like pricing if the console publishers convert to all digital. Because apparently Steam was to expensive in the "good old days"

That's an awful lot of confidence to have in a "may happen"

Also, apparently all games are stuck at $59.99 right now. Funny, I remember paying $20 new for Mass Effect 3 because I didn't have to rush out and buy it on day one. I also remember not being able to buy it for $20 on Steam Day One.

• Like 1

Microsoft is screwed either way. Why doesn't Apple have these problems?

I have wondered that, and I have somewhat of an expanation. First off, mobile games are cheap, and many of them are free. DLC for them is cheap and free. Secondly, it's easy for an iOS user to transfer data to another iOS device with minimum BS. If the apps cost $60, and it took an hour to sign in or transfer them to another device, there would be a problem.

I liked this choice quote from the article...

I want *developers* who worked their asses off to see money on every copy of their game that is sold instead of Gamestop. Fuck me, right?

Indeed. Fuck you and your wish to side-step the first sale doctrine.

I hope Cliff also sends a large potion of profits for any house or car resale he's done back to the original manufacturers who worked their asses off producing the goods, but I kinda doubt it.

• Like 1

Sterling cracks me up but it's true:

http://www.destructo...ry-256643.phtml

Ugh, that is a really good article even if it deals with some unpleasant facts about the game industry.

Yes, I think I'd rather let the old guard and even all these amazing IPs that I love playing each iteration of, die then let some of this anti-consumer garbage take hold. Truth is, there will always be other video games to play.

Sterling cracks me up but it's true:

http://www.destructo...ry-256643.phtml

I really like this part:

"More studios WILL close and you’ll see more PC and mobile games," warned Bleszinski, preparing us from the grim darkness of the 21st Century. "... Brace yourselves. More tacked on multiplayer and DLC are coming. You’re also about to see available microtransactions skyrocket. HATS FOR EVERYONE."

As if we won't see more of that anyway.

I really like this part:

As if we won't see more of that anyway.

I know. The thing that really baffles me is that he thinks the Xbox One is the future of gaming. As if the Playstation and Nintendo (or other platforms) don't exist.

Sad that they are STILL trying to justify themselves and now and is trying to use some fear tactic to change someones mind into thinking games will be worse and "cost more". They will use any excuse necessary. Almost child like.

All this from a man who's company is pretty much owned by Microsoft. Which disqualifies his opinions instantly.

Just keep talking Cliff and more people will shy away from your Xbox One console. If I was him and it was my company, I wouldn't say a thing.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 3

I know. The thing that really baffles me is that he thinks the Xbox One is the future of gaming. As if the Playstation and Nintendo (or other platforms) don't exist.

Sad that they are STILL trying to justify themselves and now and is trying to use some fear tactic to change someones mind into thinking games will be worse and "cost more". They will use any excuse necessary. Almost child like.

All this from a man who's company is pretty much owned by Microsoft. Which disqualifies his opinions instantly.

Just keep talking Cliff and more people will shy away from your Xbox One console. If I was him and it was my company, I wouldn't say a thing.

The other dumb thing is that the guy implies/claims that developers will switch to PC's and not develop for consoles without this DRM crap, but totally ignores the fact that having it will drive gamers to PC's for gaming, which will in turn force developers to support PC's and not consoles. Does this guy know what a self fulfilling prophesy is?

Well I change my mind.

I think they hit a certain number of units sold and they flick the switch back on. It won't be massive where everyone is concerned. They may pick those who go the DRM route get free games or some other bonus for doing it.

Their job right now is to get as many people to buy an XBOX One in order to plan out what to do later.

Eventually the goal will be to convert everyone over time. Either by carrots on stick or other deals or simply saying you can't play online anymore if you don't do it.

Well I change my mind.

I think they hit a certain number of units sold and they flick the switch back on. It won't be massive where everyone is concerned. They may pick those who go the DRM route get free games or some other bonus for doing it.

Their job right now is to get as many people to buy an XBOX One in order to plan out what to do later.

Eventually the goal will be to convert everyone over time. Either by carrots on stick or other deals or simply saying you can't play online anymore if you don't do it.

I tend to agree.

I think games will be available both ways and over time it will shift to DRM hell... which was an opt in feature anyway.

As far as I can tell nothing has changed except the time table.

• Like 2

We keep being told stuff like this is what we need to do to save the industry. That's crap. The video game industry will still be there, no matter what publishers suffer as a result. We may lose Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo, and certainly it doesn't look good for the likes of Activision or Bungie. Sit down and take a breath, we may have to do without EA. But video games will still be made by *someone* and if they're good, we'll buy them.

Xbox One wasn't about saving the industry, it was about saving Xbox One. What you're hearing is a bunch of whining by Microsoft that consumers won't just hand them the keys to the market, and a golden ticket to free profits for life.

Me personally, I think Nintendo's tendency of being out-of-touch has worked to their benefit this time. I think I'm gonna save up for a Wii-U.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 3

They left the previous generation with the number one console in the biz and they proceeded to come in last due to their arrogance. Apparently MS wanted to know how that feels.

Not anymore! :o that distinction now belongs to the 360! PS3 passed the 360 total a couple of months ago.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Which makes MS arrogance throughout this debacle even more incredible!

Edited by Gaztee
  • Like 1