IGNORED

Philips G7400 Videopac+ RGB question

Serious

I am hoping that there is someone here knowledgeable on Videopac hardware that can help me out..

I am considering acquiring a G7400 at some point, and I'm wondering about this model.

The RGB port is what I am wondering about, specifically (on the right)..

_dsc6587pzb7b.jpg

dinpinoutqylj7.jpg

The pins don't look to me like they match the port used on Commodore and Atari 8-bit computers, so I am wondering if there is an easily obtainable cable for this that would give the standard RCA A/V out? (I need A/V or S-Video output to convert the PAL signal to NTSC.)

From what I remember, the Videopac+ RGB plug only does, well, RGB, no composite.

I'll try to test mine to see if I get some signal, but most RGB machines of the time only have sync signal, or just the monochrome signal (no color, neither in PAL or SECAM formats).

This is true for the Colecovision, The Yeno Super cassette vision, the Master System 1, the Megadrive 1, and the Amstrad CPC (video but monochrome.

• Like 1

The G7400+ have both RF and RGB output (at least mine have both).

I think the G7401 is RGB only.

Beware of where you buy it tho, if you get a French model you'll get a SECAM L model.

I think you can also mod it to tap the composite video before the RF box to you'll get ride of the VCR step ;)

• Like 1

I don't trust myself to attempt the mod. I wouldn't want to mess up an uncommon console such as this due to my inexperience.

I'm looking into RF demodulators, which should convert the RF output to composite A/V. As far as I can tell, there may be no difference in NTSC and PAL as far as the demodulator is concerned.

I appreciate the tips and suggestions. I wouldn't have thought to avoid a French console.

Yep.

The problem with SECAM L, unlike what most people think, is not SECAM itself, but the L norm.

Basically, all RF norms use AM radio signal for the monochrome video, AM for the color signal, and FM for sound.

French L norm use AM for monochrome, FM for color and AM for sound.

Plus, the AM signal is usually "negative" while L norm use "positive" video.

This means than even a black and white TV set will not display video neither render audio. (A French TV set will not work outside France, and no TV from outside France will catch French analog broadcast. Tho since the mid 80's, most TVs sold in Europe are multistandard and this isn't a big issue anymore... Especially nowaday, all European countries have moved or are simulcasting Digital TV in the same norm).

All other norms are fine, so for example, during the Cold war, West Germany could receive East German TV on their PAL B/G sets, in black and white; and more importantly, East Germans would receive the West TV broadcast on their SECAM B/G TV... in B&W.

This is what a SECAM L Pong display on a TV set to PAL G :

h8twzgjxv0mqj1pncm-dsc01673.jpg

• Like 2