IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

@foft the scan-line setting on the MIST only seems to work if I boot directly to the A8 core. I normally have the Atari ST core as the default so I can switch between cores during boot up.

Edited by NML32

@foft the scan-line setting on the MIST only seems to work if I boot directly to the A8 core. I normally have the Atari ST core as the default so I can switch between cores during boot up.

That'll be firmware - I'll ask Till...

For now button 3 (or 1? firmware reset) should fix it.

To be honest I'm probably better off not using that switch long term though... Since its not so easy to change and different cores may need different settings. I'd like to have a file of virtual switches on the sd to save settings.

• Like 2

To be honest I'm probably better off not using that switch long term though... Since its not so easy to change and different cores may need different settings. I'd like to have a file of virtual switches on the sd to save settings.

That would be excellent :) I'm not taking the case off unless I have to, as after the installation of the midi board it was a bit frightful getting it back on.

That would be excellent :) I'm not taking the case off unless I have to, as after the installation of the midi board it was a bit frightful getting it back on.

I didn't actually know this switch is inside the box until Till told me today:) I have just the pcb so by definition everything is outside the case!

So far it's ported to these boards(no order), though hdl is available if you want to try another board:

MIST

Replay

MCC216

DE1

Turbo Chameleon

Aeon Lite

+ real soon I hope: SOCkit

Of these... If you want to connect real SIO drives you'll need a DE1 for the GPIO. Only problem is they're not 5V tolerant. I built some IDT quickswitch boards to solve this. Also DE1 needs an adaptor board for joysticks. I'm theoretically building a breakout board for the DE1 with cartridge socket, PBI, joystick ports, keyboard sockets and SIO. Though its not moving quickly!

All boards have an SD card drive emulation, ie internal SIO. Most boards (Except DE1 and Sockit) have built in joystick ports. Sadly though all the 'many in one' computer boards, except Replay, have basically no GPIO. Replay is not really available yet, except for core developers.

MIST has USB. Some time this year it's planned to do SIO over USB. To aspeqt only though.

• Like 1

Hi Mark, it would be great if you could add a reset function to the Chameleon’s a8 core, so when the button is pressed the Chameleon will reset and return to the C64 core, where the different cores can be loaded.

This could be useful to switch for example from the a8 NTSC core to the PAL version, or just to launch another core.

In the C64 core, the right Chameleon’s blue button is the “reset” button. Generally a “short” button press (shorter than 0.7 seconds) will reset the C64, and a “long” button press (longer than 0.7 seconds) will reload the Chameleon core (equaling a “hard” reset, or power-cycle).

Thanks! I hope you consider adding this feature, and I am enjoying a lot the a8 core :)

20140730:

CHAMELEON: Reset button > 0.6 seconds = reload core 0

IT WORKS! Thank you :)

CHAMELEON: Very primitive scanline button debounce!

I was already used to this... but with debounce is much better!

I realized that on the file browser some folders with ATR and XEX files sometimes appears completely empty. I will try to discover what name is producing this or what else, and I will report.

Thanks again Mark for your hard work!

Hi Mark, I just want to report you that on builds 20140802 and 20140731, when I move the joystick to the right to core is doing a “F9 Reset” and when I move the joystick to the left, the core is doing a “F12 Systems settings” access.

My setup is: Chameleon + Docking station + USBtoPS2 keyboard + ps2 mouse + RR-NET-MK3 + joystick attached to the docking station port 1.

When I move to the right or left the CDTV remote control joysticks-buttons, this doesn’t happen, it only occurs with the physical db9 joystick.

I didn’t flashed more older releases to check when this error started happening (I have been using mostly the remote control so I didn’t realized about this before).

By the way, I hope no C64 or Chameleon where damaged on your video!

Best regards, Juan

The C64 has shared wires for the joystick and keyboard. When accessing the CIA registers I added some protection. However I didn't expect this bug to be replicated in the docking station! I'll take a look. Guests again from Thursday though so no updates for a couple of weeks.

'No C64s were harmed' during the making of the video. Hopefully that will also be the case when I map the SID and RRNet into memory:)

Edit: Checking docking station code,

. Yep shared wires. It tries to stop conflicts but that doesn't work. I'll fix....

Edited by foft

Hi Mark, do you think the glitches in the borders can be solved (or hidden) adding an overlay border in the 4 sides of the screen? (left, right, up and down).

The C64 is divided in background and border area (and some other intermediate layers like sprites), so the idea come from here.

I don’t know technical details about this, but I think I read somewhere that one of the ideas to add this borders was to provide a similar screen for different TV screen sizes.

For more information about the C64 borders you can start reading here, if you are interested ;)

But I guess adding a border to the core should be something outside the emulator? not modifying the Atari emulation, but adding another graphic layer… don’t know how or where :)

Edited by jugac64

I'm just planning to chop them off in the scandoubler. They need to stay in the core itself, some software depends on them for collisions!

I forget about them since they are offscreen on my crt!

Edited by foft

... to complete the last sentence for my inner peace :) I think the most important work on a core is the compatibility and equivalence to the original platform, I know it is the more tedious and less exciting part of the core developing, but at the end it is the only thing that can help us using a FPGA core as a replacement for our old beloved retro-computers. I hope you can continue working on this on the future when you have some time and interest. Thanks again for your work, take care and best regards! Juan

Hi Mark, how many files can the a8 core read inside a directory?

I am using Atari 8-bit TOSEC collection with the core (by the way the very long TOSEC names are displayed very well on the last release of the core), and many directories that have a lot of files only display them up to a certain quantity of files.

The TOSEC Atari 8-bit collection can be downloaded from here (awesome collection):

Is it possible to increase the supported quantity of files in a directory?

Best regards, Juan

Hi NML32! how are you, I hope everything is fine.

I did some tests with atr files (short names, long names, small size and big size files) and always the maximum number of displayed files where... 194 files.

It seems also that the files browser can't display an ATR file that has only one character on the name, for example: A.atr

By the way, anyone found a LOGO programming language image that works with the a8 core? Atari LOGO is great.

BR, Juan

Edited by jugac64