IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

I am working on a txt quick reference guide for the A8 core. Can you help me with these questions please:

Great thanks:)

When the Chameleons right blue button is pressed for a short time, is it doing a RESET (F9) or a cold start (F10)?

F9.

(long hold reloads core)

When the CDTV Remote Control STOP button is pressed, is it doing a RESET (F9) or a cold start (F10)?

Stop is like F9

('power' is like F10)

Where is the BREAK Atari button on the PS/2 keyboard?

Pause/Break

Plenty of improvements possible here - eg be nice to be able to type the first letter...

That would be nice too!
As far as I know, there it is not support for analog devices through the docking station joystick ports.
Maybe it can be added mouse support to the Chameleon’s A8 core (PS/2 mouse), and via the System Settings Menu select how it works:
Mode 1: Paddle mode, only X value is passed to the core
Mode 2: Mouse mode, X, Y values are passed to the core
Or something like this... :)

Just a short post to keep you updated on the progress of cartridge handling:

First tests went well, loading .CAR files seems to work as expected. Currently most of the types supported by The!Cart should also work with the FPGA core (except native The!Cart mode - there isn't enough memory - and "right" 8k carts - these were emulated with the native The!Cart mode). But I haven't fully tested each and every type yet.

Mark will be uploading new cores real soon now :)

so long,

Hias

• Like 3

New cores are up:-) Many thanks Hias. Great to have Cartridge support.

Note that you need to convert .bin files into .car files. Atari800Win Plus has this available in the menus, I'm not sure about other tools.

Edit: Oh and I forgot an MCCTV build and 5200 support. Controllers only supported for 5200 on the DE1 and that requires soldering - ask me for the circuit if interested.

Edited by foft
  • Like 2

I just ordered a 5200daptor with matching joystick and a 2600daptor. I plan to add support for both of them to the mist asap so it's possible to use the real thing without any soldering or the like. Does anyone have a spare pair of paddles to be used with the 2600daptor?

And since you mentioned the OneChipMSX port Alastair is doing i'd like to mention that he's also porting it to the mist.

• Like 2

128 MB in form of The!Cart - referring to "except native The!Cart mode - there isn't enough memory" :-)

I got that. I just 'finished' (it doesn't synthesise yet!) fixing the timing of the cart port so The!Cart will work in native mode ;-)

Actually I think only one of the boards has >32MB, but that one has 1GB so should be enough!

• 2 weeks later...

After a short break I wanted to test the new version of the atari800 core on the Altera DE1.

I have programmed the version from 20141006 and can't see any picture on my VGA monitor,

Switched back to version from 20140301 and everything works.

Could you please help to setup my Altera DE1 for the new core?

No problem, the info is scattered around a bit, I maintain a file instructions.txt (with the cores), but seems the de1 switches are out of date there.

Sd card (fat32 or fat16. Up to 32GB tested. Some cards do not work, though all mine do...):

roms in atari800/rom:

atarixl.rom

ataribas.rom

software in atari800/user:

.xex/.atr/.car

Switches:

sw9: off (on restricts to sdram, try this if it fails)

sw8: on=pal, off=NTSC

sw7: on=scandoubled, off=tv frequencies

sw6: off (on if using scandoubler and composite sync)

sw5: dim alternate lines (scanline effect when scandoubled)

sw4: off (on if you have a real cartridge wired up)