IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

The build with this fix will be available in about 3-4 hours - I run this overnight now (manually). Since there are so many platforms it takes a while.

I'm also including the latest SOCkit build in the autobuild area. This isn't really ready for prime time yet (no sdram, no usb via the usb-otg) though... So don't expect to do more than see the READY screen. There is a SOCKIT.elf (standard firmware) binary and a type binary (to type via ssh!) included so stuff does run - but there are some timing issues on the disk emulation.

In terms of help. Any help appreciated! Actually I think the most useful would either be trying to track down things that differ from the original hardware. e.g. take something from NML32s list and see if you can work out why it doesn't work. Then I can look in detail at the hardware for that part.

• Like 1

Hi Foft.

I don't know if it's related to recent changes (write verify fix) but I'm finally able to save/load memory in Freezer
(S and E save / exec extern) to a file on floppy image! This is great. Thank you! I've yet to experiment with the max size
of such disk image to know how many savestates will fit on one image :).

Update: An image with 65535 x 256b sectors = 16MB (MyDos) created and formatted in makeATR works fine.

Time to play some more ;)

Cheers,

W.

Edited by greblus

Confirmed it fails on my drive emulation (i.e. sd card). I think it has a custom loader that does not retry failed packets and my drive emulation code misses the odd one. It does work when loading from aspeqt though so its not a core issue. In fact it runs very nicely at 16x speed - near instant picture drawing on the Level 9 adventures:).

I've done some firmware fixes on sockit with drive emulation recently - will have to rebuild and see if it fixes this. Fingers crossed:)

Edited by foft

Another question for you: is there any chance of the Atari 8-bit core supporting the ATX (copy protected) disk format?

No plans but firmware patches will be happily accepted! Sorry, too many other things to do. Of course for platforms with gpio pins a real drive or other sio device can be used.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Foft,

Hope all well - this thread has been a bit quiet lately!

I was wondering if the cartridge slot is broken out on the GPIO pins of the DE1?

I can see the GPIO pin assignments in the source source, so it looks like they are - but do I need to do anything to enable this?

(e.g. looks like phi2 is GPIO_0[35] -> PIN_L18)

I was hoping to do experiments with home made cartridges, using a 128k parallel flash and a XC9572XL CPLD for bank switching logic - I'm waiting for a breakout board for my real atari's cartridge slot to arrive in the post, and thought I could maybe get started using my DE1 board as the atari instead.

Regards,

Robin

All quiet on my end on the Atari front. We have a new baby so its not actually quiet:)

Yes the cartridge is broken out. As well as wiring it up rd4 and rd5 need pull downs. Also gpio enable (sw4 I think) needs switching on.

Some warnings:

I) The DE1/Cyclone II is not 5V tolerant. I have some level converter boards using idt quickswitches if needed.

ii) I will be changing the pinout fairly soon.

iii) As far as I'm aware only Hias and I have used this. Everything I have works(4 carts!) but probably not yet everything.

Congratulations on the new baby!

Our youngest is almost two and not really a baby any more - life gets much easier when they sleep through the night :-)

Thanks for the info - I'm aware of the 5V/3.3V issue though haven't got too much practical experience of it, since most of my electronics experience has been with 5v ATMEGA chips.

My first plan was just to have a look at the signal timing with a logic analyser, so I've got a better idea of how everything works.

The next thing i was thinking was to hook up a AT28c64 EEPROM (8k, 5v) to the DE1 and see if the EEPROM programming (using an arduino) actually worked.

I'm guessing the address lines will just work (think the chip will be happy with 3.3v inputs - TODO check the datasheet), but I'm guessing I need to level shift the data lines out the EEPROM and into the DE1 from 5v to 3.3v. I've got a 74LVC245 I can use for that.

Then I can start playing with with the CPLD and bank switching with an AT28c256 (32k).

Will let you know how I get on.

Did you map the pins to 40 pin header pins. ie there are 36 GPIOs and 40 pins, with the power/ground pins mixed in. See the bottom of the file. ie gpio signal 9 is pin 10 and gpio signal 22 is pin 25.

Edited by foft

What is the best board to run this on?

-Thom

I refer you to the platform feature matrix in section 1.3: http://www.scrameta.net/Atari%20800%20FPGA%20Manual.pdf :-D

If you are struggling to decide between them after checking the features post back here with more details and I can help.

There are two more candidate boards not on there yet. I wouldn't recommend them yet, but for completeness: SOCkit (like DE1 with bigger FPGA - some key features don't work yet), Papilio Duo (Hardware on hand but not ported to it yet).

I refer you to the platform feature matrix in section 1.3: http://www.scrameta.net/Atari%20800%20FPGA%20Manual.pdf :-D

If you are struggling to decide between them after checking the features post back here with more details and I can help.

There are two more candidate boards not on there yet. I wouldn't recommend them yet, but for completeness: SOCkit (like DE1 with bigger FPGA - some key features don't work yet), Papilio Duo (Hardware on hand but not ported to it yet).

Bad link.

Seriously, looking at that hardware matrix, makes my heart sink. Half of that hardware isn't available to most people. Is someone going to have to make a board purpose built?

-Thom

A custom board would be cool... If anyone is planning one please drop me a note first.

De1: $150 http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?No=83

Replay: Agreed!

Mist: 200EUR http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

Chameleon:250EUR (+ c64 or docking station) https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt-details/product/Turbo_Chameleon_64.html

Mcctv: $80 http://www.arcaderetrogaming.com/shop/catalog/browse?sessid=XWcp5XpelAhoexwagFZk2t5EdMPaQrksCTTtvTRMagVb87mXHo7hGc02OLZzpkSJ&shop_param=

Mcc216: $130-150 (as above)

Edited by foft

SOCkit looks interesting.

Does SOCkit require any mods to the VGA output?