IGNORED

'AND #170'

I would need an code which does an 'binary' AND #170 similar to an AND#$7f but my range is instead of 128 bytes 170 bytes... the value should wrap... so 171 should become 1. etc

do_barfx2
  cmp #2
  bne do_barfx3	 
  txa
  clc
  adc cloc
  tay
  lda barsin1,y
  clc
  adc #1
  sec
  sbc cloc
  cmp #169
  bcc *+5
  sec
  sbc #169
  ;and #$7f
  sta barpostab-1,x
  jmp parallax_cont

Do you only want to do this for byte values? So..

0=0

1=1

169=169

170=0

171=1

255=85

A simple way would probably be to build a 64 byte table:

LDA Value

BPL Skip ;Number is 127 or less

LSR A

TAX

LDA tableaddr-64,X

ROL A

-Skip

Since the low bit will not change (even numbers 170+ become even numbers 0+) we can save the low bit, look up one of 64 values, and then restore the low bit. Because bit 7 is guaranteed to be set and is then shifted down to bit 6, we read from a base offset of 64 bytes from the table.

ok guys... maybe I had not enough coffe today but...

Mapa & TMR...

how does this wrap?

when indexing through your tables... after 170 it goes back to 0 and then the 0-84 part starts... but when the 84 exceedes (wrap around 256) then I am not at 85 but at 0 again? or do I miss here some magic?

when indexing through your tables... after 170 it goes back to 0 and then the 0-84 part starts... but when the 84 exceedes (wrap around 256) then I am not at 85 but at 0 again? or do I miss here some magic?

It's a cheat to translate a number from $00 to $ff into something in the range, there's no allowance for the index wrapping around...

If the index is constantly being added to or subtracted from, check it for 170 after each change and, if it goes over, subtract 170:

txa
cmp #170
bcc exit
sec
sbc #170
exit   tax

Not a really efficient solution of course but, unless you start using a 16-bit value and have a longer table to "clip" it, there's probably not a significantly faster one...?

Edited by TMR

Where is my error then TMR?

It's probably the SBC, what we're talking about pretty much only works when adding so if we follow the logic through this...

166+24=190

190-170=20

...makes sense but this...

6-24=238

238-170=68

...doesn't, it should be 152. But i'm fairly sure we can work backwards from there so, If it's always going to be a subtraction at that point in the code, then checking for 170 and subtracting 86 if it's over will work instead as long as the values being subtracted don't get too high?

In passing, this is why we try to go for steps with 64,128 or 256 workable states usually... =-)

I suppose is already clear, but:

- if you add something to your value you need to check if the result is greater or equal to 170, and in that case SUBSTRACT 170

- if you substract something to your value you need to check if the result is below 0, and in that case ADD 170

... there is no "one magic table".. but you can have two tables, one for the case you just added something to your value, and the other for the case you just substracted something (if you don't mind losing 512 bytes for this... or less, if you compare with 170 before using the tables).

; if you add something to your value in "A"
clc
adc #something
bcs value_over_170
cmp #170
bcc exit1

value_over_170
sbc #170 ; the carry is already set!

exit1

; if you substract something to your value in "A"
sec
sbc #something
bcs exit2

value_below_0
adc #170 ; the carry is already clear!

exit2

(by the way.. if the value "something" is already greater or equal to 170, I would substract 170 from it before using this routines, if not I believe you need more code)

(also I'm assuming that your value in "A" is already in the range 0 - 169 !!)

With tables:

; add:
clc
adc something	 ; value already normalized! (between 0-169)
bcc version2 ; the result was not greater than 255, use another table
tax
lda TabMod170AdcVersion1,x
bcs continue	 ; always jump!

tax
lda TabMod170AdcVersion2,x

continue ...

; substract:
sec
sbc something	 ; value already normalized!(between 0-169)
tax
lda TabMod170SbcVersion,x

Well they were 3 tables, it was more complex than I was expecting.. shame on you Heaven! :)

But I suppose we can combine all tables into a big one.. let's see..

TabMod170SbcVersion

--> 256 byte values: [84-169], [0-169]

TabMod170AdcVersion1

--> 256 byte values: [86-169], [0-169],[0-1]

TabMod170AdcVersion2

--> 256 byte values: [0-169], [0-85]

Yep.. is easy to combine them in one table of 86+170+86 bytes (but you lose some cycles because of the page boundaries crossed).. homework :P

(and yep.. probably is better to just use the "without tables" version of this routines, at least the one for "adding")

(I didn't check this too much, there could be errors!)

Ok... One missing point here... I am adding/subtracting different values to get nice movements for something as you can see in the snippet... So how can I see if I need the add or sub method?

You lost me there (I should be sleeping) :)

Why do you not now if you are adding or subtracting a value?

I mean... if you just did "adc value" you were adding, if you did "sbc value" you were subtracting.. (in your code I see that you use adc cloc or sbc cloc).

Or are you just adding values that can be positive or negative? (255 for -1 for example)

Edited by NRV

Hmm I don't get it what are you trying to do. Can you explain it?

Is it that you have a value 0-169 then add/sub some number from it and you want have result within 0-169 again? How big numbers are you adding/substracting? If it's max. +/-43 you can use the 256 byte table.

:170 dta #
:43 dta #
:43 dta 170-43+#

range is 0-169...

Bryan... what would the LUT look like?

The table would be every even value from 128 to 254, shifted down 1:

128->64, 130->65 ... 168->84, 170->0, 172->1...

the whole code:

LDA Value
BPL Skip	;Number is 127 or less
LSR A
TAX
LDA tableaddr-64,X
ROL A
-Skip

tableaddr
.byte 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84
.byte 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
.byte 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Of course, a compare and subtraction avoids the table and is about as quick.

Arrrgh.. I still don't get your problem x)

I think you fail to answer the important questions, for one what is the range of the numbers that you are adding or subtracting? from 0 to what?

I was adding/subtracting several sin values plus adding offset to pick up one grafix line from an lookup table

With this I still don't see the problem.. if you just added something you use the method that I put for "add", if you subtract something you use the other one..

So what about actually comparing actual calculation with the previous one? If it is greater the treat it like an add and otherwise like an sbc?

Why should you need to do that? if you just added something treat it like and add! (and viceversa)

Come on Heaven, help us to help you :)

(and the MaPa solution is a very good one if the numbers you are adding or subtracting are in the range 0-43)