IGNORED

sega cd

metzger130

I've been looking for a sega cd model 2 for my genesis so that I can start and play the cd games for it. A store has a few around here but they said that they are non working and pretty sure it's just a blown fuse. How possible is it that the only problem is a blown fuse on these? I have looked online and see how easy it is to replace but what else could be wrong with these that would not be an easy fix? Also, they didn't have a price yet for them. What would be a good price for one with all cords included for the system? I would like to get one but they are hard to find around here and the one place that has them the most often wants $70 for one and I just feel that is really high.

Thanks,

Blown fuses seems to be the most frequent problem with the Model 2 systems (haven't had it happen to myself though), but I don't know how you would be able to tell for sure without being able to crack it open before buying it. I would personally offer next to nothing for a broken system. $70 doesn't seem too bad for a working one, but I would personally expect a few commons bundled with it for that price.

I received an update from the game store. We do have Sega CDs but they both have blown fuses. We would sell them at $10 each by themselves. The A/C adapters would be about $15 though. $15 for the A/C adapter? That sounds a little high for an adapter to me or is there something with the CD adapter that makes it unique? Just wondering what everyone thinks about the price for the CD and adapter. If it is just a blown fuse $25 seems cheap to me, plus the fuse which will be very little.

Thanks,

It's a gamble, but in most cases, a non-working Sega CD is a blown fuse. I got one for $20 and fixed it the cheapo way -- just twisted the existing fuse so that it shorted itself. I know, probably not the best idea...but I do turn off the power strip after use. I think $20 - $30 is a fair price for a complete but broken CD. Maybe $50-$70 for one that works.

I think that $25 total seems good. If the price of the adapter bothers you...just consider the total price. It's good.

Edited by RickR

Took a chance on the CD unit and bought the power adapter too since I needed one. Fuses I found with no problem (3 Amp, can't find 2.5 ANYWHERE) and finally found a fuse holder, man that was hard, and we opened up the case and I could not find the fuse anywhere. Kept looking at the guides and never realized til I watched a youtube video that the fuse in on the BACK of the board, not the front with the rest of the stuff. There was black on the board so we just used 2 wires to see if it would work or if there was another issue and it worked. So put the new fuse holder in with the fues in that area that is not sued for anything on the side of the motherboard and it works great! So glad I was able to get it to work. Total is 10 for cd unit, 15 for power supply, 2.50 for 2 fuse holders, and 4 for 5 fuses. Grand total of $36.50 for a working CD unit. I'd say that saved me a little money. I have 4 extra fuses and 1 fuse holder if for some reason something happens. Now to play games. I already copied Sol Feace to make sure I had a game that would play on it to test everything. Just wanted to let anyone know that was interested in this post.

• Like 2

Congrats! I still have my original Genny/SegaCD/32X setup from back in the day. So many good games; even on the cd! I put the old work horse back on the tv because I'd rather replace a fuse or cap on it than have to operate on the CDX. I love having one, but I fear it at the same time.

Don't own 32X yer, eventually I will own it, but right now I have enough with the cd and genesis, anyways something with the everdrive and 32X doesn't like each other when not playing 32X games and I don't know of many yet. I ran wires so that if/when it blows again I have the fuse holder and fuse in the area where I just have to open the case and put a new fuse in.

I am enjoying some CD games and really like the system. I took advice of others and doing the "try before you buy" method for the CD's. CD-R's are very cheap so I can make games and if I hate them, toss them, if I like them I can find them and buy them. I have the mega everdrive on the system too so that is my cd storage instead of the battery and limited storage on the unit itself. Enjoying the few Shmups on the cd and the RPG's. Good games, and great music for the most part.