IGNORED

Picked up a complete TurboGrafx in box

Excellent; now you just need a converter for Japanese games. The TG16 had less than 100 releases if I recall correctly, while the PCE had hundreds more.

Wouldn't know a cheap place to get one would you? Most times I see one the price is so high I would be better off to just get a PC Engine.

Edited by GoldenWheels

GoldenWheels, I would pick up a cheapy on feepay. Mine with the rfu issue was an "untested" unit. They usually work just fine. Most of them have been seperated from their AC adapter, but a Sega Genesis plug works just fine. Turbos rarely go bad, and if they do, its usually just a capacitor.

Normally, I'd recommend the.golden.ax and still do, but until he is feeling better I don't think he'd take a new project.

You might try this site for a region mod:

http://www.game-tech.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TG16/TurboGrafx16

Anyone know if this guy is good/reputable?

Edited by gorfcadet

I have one with a touchy rfu jack.

I've got one like that too.

Easy to tap into the composite outputs on the large pin connector on the back of the console. Google for the pinouts on that edge connector and solder a composite cable in place and the wonky RFU issue is solved.

Don't know anyone with a converter. Sure, ebay, but like you said, probably end up being a lot.

They're brutal! I see them on there and they are like 140-180$ (!!!!). I'd love to be able to tap into the (much cheaper) PCE library but for that much I can surely get a PCE and games and the whole deal.

Wish someone was remaking the things. There is a guy on ebay doing fairly affordable homemeade power base converters.

They're brutal! I see them on there and they are like 140-180$ (!!!!). I'd love to be able to tap into the (much cheaper) PCE library but for that much I can surely get a PCE and games and the whole deal.

Wish someone was remaking the things. There is a guy on ebay doing fairly affordable homemeade power base converters.

Yeah that is tough. I'll be getting a Master System soon so i'll probably never need the power base converter.

• Like 1

Wouldn't know a cheap place to get one would you? Most times I see one the price is so high I would be better off to just get a PC Engine.

There is no such thing as a cheap PC Engine/Turbo Grafx converter. Either import a system (which doesn't usually cost much for a bare bones system with hookups), or invest in a Turbo Everdrive flash cart (those run $80 for a bare board.. worth every penny!).

There is no such thing as a cheap PC Engine/Turbo Grafx converter. Either import a system (which doesn't usually cost much for a bare bones system with hookups), or invest in a Turbo Everdrive flash cart (those run $80 for a bare board.. worth every penny!).

I've seriously eyed the everdrives a few times, with that one being my target....and being able to play the PCE roms is a huge plus. Thing is, I like colelcting the actual games, it's just so hard for TG-16. Still--I ain't ruling it out. Thanks!

Edited by GoldenWheels

Easy to tap into the composite outputs on the large pin connector on the back of the console. Google for the pinouts on that edge connector and solder a composite cable in place and the wonky RFU issue is solved.

Tried to search for a pinouts of that connector and couldn't find anything written. Don't know if I used the wrong words or what.

GoldenWheels, I would pick up a cheapy on feepay. Mine with the rfu issue was an "untested" unit. They usually work just fine. Most of them have been seperated from their AC adapter, but a Sega Genesis plug works just fine. Turbos rarely go bad, and if they do, its usually just a capacitor.

Normally, I'd recommend the.golden.ax and still do, but until he is feeling better I don't think he'd take a new project.

You might try this site for a region mod:

http://www.game-tech...16/TurboGrafx16

Anyone know if this guy is good/reputable?

I got my top loader nes modded through game-tech and had no problems at all. Nice guy and easy to work with.