IGNORED

Wico controller for CV

Charlie_

Hello Colecovision fans.

Is the Wico controller for the CV really really horrible or is it just mine?

I find the stick needs way too much pressure causing the wrist on the hand holding the base to hurt.

Also it seems very hard to press in a straight up, down, left or right direction. I'm always hitting a diagonal.

The side fire buttons are horrible and stiff not like pressing buttons at all.

Sound like a normal Wico CV stick?

The Wico Command Control Joystick is a terrible replacement controller for the standard Coleco Hand Controllers. For that matter, almost all of the 3rd Party replacement controllers for the ColecoVision & ADAM are terrible as far as I am concerned. I take Coleco,s design over the others any day of the week especially if it has been modded by Yurkie with the Ball-Knob and had it's coiled cord straightened. A working Super Action Controller is the next best replacement besides CollectorVision's Arcade Quality controller.

Thanks for the replies. The original controller has always bugged me. The side buttons feel odd to me and the stubby stick bothers me.

Lately I have learned to start using the disc on top of the stick like a dpad using my right thumb. I works rather well for games like pac-man and donkey kong.

As for the coiled cord... I used plastic 9 pin IDC plugs. I strip off the longest length of 9 wires from an old floppy ribbon cable, and it gives me a great 2 feet (about) extension cable. Works Perfectly. I don't need to have the console directly under me when playing. Also the 2nd fire button works in Defender unlike when I use other extensions.

post-322-0-46862800-1373428842_thumb.jpg

I have a Gemini GemStick Keypad Controller for Coleco. I got in in a bundle for Intellivision hoping if was the old Amiga Joystick for Intellivision. But alas the overlays did not fit...so I didn't even try. Willing to trade for Wico Command Controller for intellivision...or something else Intellivision cool.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wico Command Control for the ColecoVision was SUCH. A. DISAPPOINTMENT. Wico made one of my all-time favorite joysticks for the Atari 5200, so naturally I expected the same level of quality from its ColecoVision counterpart. I did not get it. There is not a single inch of this controller that isn't stiff and unresponsive... the joystick may as well be glued in place. It's a crushing blow considering how the 5200 WCC smoothly glides into place. I know; they're entirely different kinds of joysticks, but would it really have killed Wico to make this joystick more user friendly? It's even uncomfortable to hold; much longer than it is wide because of that damned numeric keypad. Why they decided the Wico Command Control needed to have the keypad built in when they just used a Y-cable for the 5200 is one of life's great mysteries.

You know what else kind of sucked? The Amiga Powr Stick designed for the ColecoVision. I fell in love with the Powr Stick designed for the Atari 2600... it was my favorite pre-NES joystick for that system. However, Amiga ruined the design by building a numeric keypad into the thing, rather than making it a separate component and keeping the joystick compact.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just spent way too much money to discover the same thing. It makes the Atari 5200 stock controller look awesome. What I've personally being doing is using an old MD/Genesis controller instead, so much more control. Gotta say I don't care much for the standard coleco controllers either. They also hurt my hand way too much!

Has anyone ever converted a standard Jaguar controller for the coleco?? Seems like a natural fit too me. I've a couple of spare ones so will give this a try! I just wish the d-pad on that was as good as the MD pad!

Well I just spent way too much money to discover the same thing. It makes the Atari 5200 stock controller look awesome. What I've personally being doing is using an old MD/Genesis controller instead, so much more control. Gotta say I don't care much for the standard coleco controllers either. They also hurt my hand way too much!

Has anyone ever converted a standard Jaguar controller for the coleco?? Seems like a natural fit too me. I've a couple of spare ones so will give this a try! I just wish the d-pad on that was as good as the MD pad!

I make these

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215136-new-colecovision-arcade-controller-based-on-neogeox-controller/

I saw those & as nice as it is I can't justify $200 plus postage to the UK! And really I want something I can hold in my hands, not rest on my legs. Gonna give my jagpad idea a spin, as I have spare controllers for both. To me it's just the ideal solution!

DoubleDown converted the Jaguar controller to a CV controller years ago....

post-25956-0-23733200-1375841331_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-87728000-1375841337_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

DoubleDown did a number of other Pad controller mods and I think all those threads are in the "Classic Gaming General" section. Never mind, here are the pics. I recall that he did a few others as well.

Thanks for that! I'm still relatively new to the coleco scene, so it's nice to see all those variations. I'm loving the homebrews & would defo play the system a lot more with a more comfortable controller!

• Like 1

Thanks for that! I'm still relatively new to the coleco scene, so it's nice to see all those variations. I'm loving the homebrews & would defo play the system a lot more with a more comfortable controller!

Genesis / Mega Drive makes a nice hand controller. Just wire its buttons into the Coleco's standard controllers contacts. Kind of like a Wii nunchuck.