IGNORED

Roll up roll up i present to you......The PRO-LINE ARCADE STICK

YANDMAN

I know it sounds like a lot but it is what it is, Each one of these will probably take 3-5 days of my own time to make in between my work hours but if people still wish to purchase one i am willing to do it, I have several confirmed orders already and i can honestly say that for all the games ive tried it with so far it has completely changed the playing experience, Everything feels so sharp and responsive its really great.

Im going to build one strictly for the 2600 soon also so look out for that along with various different themed pro-line versions.

If it's arcade quality parts, being built and assembled by scratch from one person with the polished and professional look shown in this thread...Then it seems reasonable to me for those who can afford and are willing to be a part of the opportunity.

I will echo YANDMAN sentiments too about everything being "sharp and responsive". I know exactly what he means. The only downfall is you will have a really hard time ever going back to a stock 7800 controller again. Playing 7800 games via a controller with an Arcade joystick and buttons is unlike any other controller (That of course is not of Arcade quality parts :-D ).

• Like 2

yea thanks Trebor thats a cool attitude, its just difficult when you make something that looks nice and people get excited about it but you cant offer it at a very affordable price but this is the difference between hand /custom building and a production line i guess.

but yes you are right if you had played with one of these you would never use anything else again its a total game changer in every sense of the phrase

Could you put the stick in the center and have 2 buttons on the left and 2 buttons on the right?

That would cover everyone's preference!

Also, would you sell them without the joystick and buttons? How much would that save?

(I have a bunch of arcade control panels to get joysticks and buttons. OR the Sanwa stick is U.S. $20 and the Sanwa buttons are $3.50 each.)

Curse the jump in international shipping prices!

Maybe you can sell your designed cases to someone in the US or AtariAge, and have the buttons, cord and stick bought and installed here. Cheaper for us, and more profit for you?

Anyway, just brainstorming.

• Like 1

One thing, just so no one is taking by surprised here (YANDMAN please correct me if I am wrong), if Sanwa buttons are the ones being used, they are convex and not concave.

I personally prefer concave buttons, they are the ones used on most Arcade arcade games in the US during the 1980's and the feel I am more familar and experienced in using.

Convex buttons were typically always used in Japan, and today more often used for modern day Arcade-like controllers. They are said to be more comfortable than concave for some.

Convex = Rounded surface that is not pushed in.

Concave = Flat surface that is pushed in

CONVEX:

post-18-0-84164900-1373985787_thumb.png

CONCAVE:

post-18-0-11722300-1373985785_thumb.png

CONCAVE (Purple-Blue) ON LEFT/CONVEX (Black and White) ON RIGHT:

post-18-0-21292900-1373985786_thumb.jpg

Yo T

yes you are correct, all the american Happ style controls are concave the japanese sanwa are very slightly convex and seimitsu are generally flat sometimes also convex, Sanwa created the silent button which is what i usually use and for me there is no better.

Its all mostly personal preference or what your used to.

none of them are vastly different

Could you put the stick in the center and have 2 buttons on the left and 2 buttons on the right?

That would cover everyone's preference!

Also, would you sell them without the joystick and buttons? How much would that save?

(I have a bunch of arcade control panels to get joysticks and buttons. OR the Sanwa stick is U.S. $20 and the Sanwa buttons are $3.50 each.)

Curse the jump in international shipping prices!

Maybe you can sell your designed cases to someone in the US or AtariAge, and have the buttons, cord and stick bought and installed here. Cheaper for us, and more profit for you?

Anyway, just brainstorming.

Im not really confident about wiring multiple button set-ups not am i really into splitting the things up or a huge manufacturing operation, it was simply something i made for my own use but that i thought would be cool to share with the atari family.

if people are really into it im sure there must be plenty of guys that could make one stateside although i would hope not a copy of my unit.

Question to all of you grumbling about a 'right handed version'...isn't the joystick on the left and buttons on the right how it usually is for arcade controls? How do you play Galaga, Galaxian, Joust, Donkey Kong...et al?

My answer is both ways. Depends on the game. Joust is just left /right with your dominant hand needing to tap the buttons to fly / hover. Pac Man would be stick in right dominant hand because of the need for quick reverse and direction changes.

The point is predominantly arcade machines were built for right handed players, And no im sorry but i dont see myself building one for left handed players at this point in time, me personally i play every game with the joystick in my left hand this goes for track ball's too

If they use arcade parts, just open it up and reverse the up/down left/right microswitches then turn the controller around and bang you have a lefty. 2 seconds with a drill and you could run the cord out the othe way as well. If the wires arent long enough use alligator clips. I had to use clips in my mame cab because the wires from xarcade were really short.

After years of attempting to play 7800 games with the various arcade sticks made for other formats and being constantly faced with the non two button support i decided i was going to make my own, Inspired by some other forum members recent hacks of plug and play boxes i wanted to make a high quality arcade stick with good weight , Strong build and high quality components, I was thinking along the lines of Neo Geo joystick but for the beloved 7800 and also to keep within a design and finish that would make it look legit or so i think anyways.

I have an arcade background but have never attempted anything like this before and iv'e gotta say i'm really happy with the result, The arcade stick is machined from half inch polished acrylic which gives it a very robust and quality feel, the buttons and joystick are all Sanwa and i designed the graphics for the panel and had them professionally printed and finished.

I have two other designs in what im calling the ' Competition Series ' of joysticks one is a Pac-man themed and the other is Donkey kong both will borrow heavily from their arcade control designs and will both be for sale when finished, I haven't worked out a price yet but with this level of finish they aren't going to be too cheap but i will make and sell them for exactly what they cost me.

post-33164-0-32659700-1373704383_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-32659700-1373704383_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-67810700-1373704430_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-34103300-1373704433_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-33440100-1373704436_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-20581100-1373704439_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-31741800-1373704441_thumb.jpgpost-33164-0-59339400-1373704443_thumb.jpg

Hi, I just wanted to comment on these Arcade controllers you made. Wow! You are truly talented. Would definitely make the Atari 7800 playing experience the way to play. Good luck with these.

Thank you i appreciate you saying that, ive gotta tell you ive just started on the first customer unit and ive got controller envy, this next one is better than the first one, its going to be a Pac Man themed controller and it looks amazing, i literally want it for myself ha ha.

i cant tell you enough how much it transforms the game play, For some games its like playing them for the first time, for shooting games like alien brigade the precision you can get with your cross hair that just wasn't previously manageable makes it so much more fun and with pole position the control and feel of the car is much much better.

• 3 months later...

Hay. Are these still happening? If so, I would love one.

Just a quick question though. How hard would it be to add a small circuit so that you can switch between 7800 style two button and 2600 style two button (as used in Space Rocks and Princess Rescue)?

PS: It really does look gorgeous by the way. :)

• 4 years later...